The WIP Screenshot Thread!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Skylights DO light lower (ground + walls) & upper geometry (walls + ceiling) & meshes. It's there purpose in the first place. In your skylight properties, check the "LowerBrightness" field. You can also specify a color for the upper part with the "LowerColor" field ;)

Think you're confusing some of that with UDK.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Skylights DO light lower (ground + walls) & upper geometry (walls + ceiling) & meshes. It's there purpose in the first place. In your skylight properties, check the "LowerBrightness" field. You can also specify a color for the upper part with the "LowerColor" field ;)

I would hardly say that the first purpose of skylights is to light ceilings, as it is not the default setting. Moreover, using a skylight that is anything more than subtle will make the level look flat and boring. I believe the terrain is being used for the opposite reason, that is, depth and interest, so it would be pointless to ruin it with bland lighitng. That said, point lights are the way to go.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Skylights work the way SteveLois describes.

I'd rarely use a brightness value of above 0.2-0.3 for skylight values. Should only really be used for giving the level a flat base shadow colour/ambiance before adding in localized or sun lights. Shadows should never be pure black...

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
So what I did was take my point lights that I had (Only the ones were the radius touched the terrain), clone them, put them all only in Un-named1 (with the Terrain, which also stayed in Static and Dynamic) and put bForcedDynamicLight on the point lights. And it works :)

Thanks for the tip all :)

I've also added a Skylight to put a bit of light in the shadows (Not much, only 0.015 brightness but it's enough) and it does look much better. Thank you Slainchild.

Now I hope that my basic skills can make this look like an OK map :p

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Think you're confusing some of that with UDK.

LOL

Come on Crazy, this is one of the first basic thing I learn when working with the UT3 editor.

Skylights work the way SteveLois describes.

I'd rarely use a brightness value of above 0.2-0.3 for skylight values. Should only really be used for giving the level a flat base shadow colour/ambiance before adding in localized or sun lights. Shadows should never be pure black...

THX Slain, since your well know & respected, now others will take the same helpful comment more seriously...

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Oh hai.
Managed to snag a photo from Scott's cell, enjoy.

[screenshot]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8261/gravyk.png[/screenshot]

Wish you'd stop stealing pictures from my phone. You'll get disturbing ones soon. :x

LOL

Come on Crazy, this is one of the first basic thing I learn when working with the UT3 editor.

So apparently i didn't know UT3 allowed you to set the upward colour/brightness of a skylight, i knew it would light a ceiling but didnt you you could modify that. Thought it was UDK only.

Either way, skylights shouldn't be sued as your main lighting, cus they fugly.

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Directional lights will light anything so long as they're not obstructed. They can light a ceiling.

Sure. Pretty exceptional case in which that would actually happen, but in theory it is possible. Just like it's possible in theory to use a skylight to light something that shouldn't be lit that way.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Sure. Pretty exceptional case in which that would actually happen, but in theory it is possible. Just like it's possible in theory to use a skylight to light something that shouldn't be lit that way.

It's not that exceptional. Consider a level that may be set over something like a pit of lava or toxic waste. You could use a directional light to cast a glow to the entire underside of the level :)

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
It's not that exceptional. Consider a level that may be set over something like a pit of lava or toxic waste. You could use a directional light to cast a glow to the entire underside of the level :)

My point remains the same; Skylights that are used for anything but subtle shadow tinting are both unappealing and unrealistic. Even in a situation where the level is above a pit of lava or toxic waste, Skylights are universal, and any area that should be outside of the light source's range will still be lit. Furthermore, Skylights lack depth; no matter the distance from the apparent source, and no matter whether there are obstacles between the source and the surface to be lit, the lighting is constant and unhindered. Skylights should only be used for subtle lighting, and even then, pointlights are still necessary to create an appealing amount of depth and atmosphere.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
SkyLights are basically a fancy version of what AmbientBrightness/Hue/Saturation settings did in earlier engine generation's ZoneInfo. Both raise the general brightness level, but do so in an ugly way.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I finished taking the preview images for my maps. What do you guys think?

[SCREENSHOT]http://inferno.codebrainshideout.net/Images/BBMP1.png[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://inferno.codebrainshideout.net/Images/BBMP2.png[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://inferno.codebrainshideout.net/Images/BBMP3.png[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://inferno.codebrainshideout.net/Images/BBMP4.png[/SCREENSHOT]

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
The forth one if a port of the map Revelations. I helped out a little with it and Selentic wanted me to make a UT3 version.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, plus I'm not too keen on that grid-mapped one in the second...are you missing a texture? At least that texture's an error in GTK Radiant/Q3A mapping, in UT3, you'd get hall-of-mirrors for having a null texture.