The Ripper

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Would you like to see the Ripper return?

• Yes

Votes: 129 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 17.8%

• Total voters

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
carmatic said:
...or the flak cannon which is pure spam...
I'll admit that there is a high potential for spam, but if you're doing that, you're a nub anyway. I use the flak secondary more than the rocket launcher. Just feels more natural to me. I guess you'd consider it spam when I pooned you in the face with a flak shell, huh? :D

I voted no to the ripper. Don't like it. Maybe if the discs went faster and only bounced once or twice. It's too spammy in its current UT form, and given how slow the discs travel and how many times they bounce, it's more like "spray and pray" than "predict and lead."

But then again, the minigun sucks (insane ROF + seven damager per bullet = almost instant death in too many situations), so it wouldn't bother me too much if they replaced it with the ripper. However, they're replacing that with the tyridium pea-shooter from Unreal, so...

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
NeoNite said:
So tell me, which one is worse:

UT2K4 minigun
UT minigun
In terms of Balance, UT's was worse. You could MOW people with that thing, fast, and insanely quick if you have UDamage.

2k4's is a bit more balanced; Slower ROF, Less Damage, but to compensate, has 100 more bullets. It's definitely the more balanced of the two though.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
BECAUSE I'M PRO AND THE MINIGUN IS TEH NUB!!!11

I actually don't like the concept of a minigun at all. At least the UT minigun was fairly inaccurate, which really isn't the case too much with UT2004's.

The problem with it is that it's hard to defend against. It's easy to use, so it should be easy to counter, which really isn't the case in most situations in UT2004. At the range the current minigun is still deadly (medium to long), rockets, flak, link, goo, and almost everything else are easy to dodge. The only real counter is hitscan, and if you suck at that, you're toast.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
IMHO hitscan spam should be removed from FPS atm, the pings have dropped so low now that it's not viable to balance something like that out.

Having it change to, basically, a nail gun would lessen it's effectiveness at long range and make it tricker at medium, but still lethal at close :tup:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Turns2Ashes said:
BECAUSE I'M PRO AND THE MINIGUN IS TEH NUB!!!11

I actually don't like the concept of a minigun at all. At least the UT minigun was fairly inaccurate, which really isn't the case too much with UT2004's.

The problem with it is that it's hard to defend against. It's easy to use, so it should be easy to counter, which really isn't the case in most situations in UT2004. At the range the current minigun is still deadly (medium to long), rockets, flak, link, goo, and almost everything else are easy to dodge. The only real counter is hitscan, and if you suck at that, you're toast.

The UT minigun fairly inaccurate?
That thing is a monster!

If you have a steady hand, and you get the minigun well...
like DP said, opponents drop by the dozen.
(ok, there's also the ping thing)

Fairly inaccurate? Very deadly, yes.

Then again, I've hardly used the ut2004 minigun. Only played the demo, so I'm teh knubzors ^_^ Can't compare.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
like , in ut99, you load up ctf face or something, and find a minigun somewhere, and go to the place with the sniper rifle, and start shooting the minigun instead of the sniper rifle, and you'd get more kills than if you had the sniper rifle... like its so accurate that you can snipe with it or something

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I don't think the prime fire on the UT mini had a cone. It did less DPS then the alt fire, but more DPA (much like the 2k4 mini), and with perfect accuracy, yeah, if you could see your target well enough, use that and not the SR. It was prolly the most lethal fire in the game.

The new mini's more accurate fire mode has a small cone, making it slightly less effective at mid-long ranges, as well as lessend damage, RoF, and if you consdier that everyone spawn with an SG UT2kx Mini is not that bad.

UT mini = Wrath of God

Anything is better then that thing, or worse, depending on how you look at it.

Stinger = Non-hit-scan = Gets my Vote

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
carmatic said:
like , in ut99, you load up ctf face or something, and find a minigun somewhere, and go to the place with the sniper rifle, and start shooting the minigun instead of the sniper rifle, and you'd get more kills than if you had the sniper rifle... like its so accurate that you can snipe with it or something
Just one problem: No Minis in Face.

If you were standing behind the central teleporter in a base, The Rocket Launcher is to your left, Shock Rifle up and to your right a bit, Sniper Rifles are in the tower directly ahead (Top) as well as the teleporter to your right (Middle) and the teleporter up and to your right has a Redeemer if Superweapons are on. Outside of the base is another Sniper Rifle on the left and a Ripper on the right.

Please, don't add weapons that aren't there. ;)

Besides, any player worth his salt will make people fly much faster with those Sniper Rifles then with a Minigun, any day. I know I would.

Last edited:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
There was a GitzZz demo vs some russian dude. he 'wicked sick'd him on deck-16, getting minigun kills within seconds at any range. The UT mini was nasty.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
CyMek said:
And about the Ripper cutting people's limbs off, I don't tink that is such a good idea. It would royally suck if youre "arm got cut off" and you coudn't fire or hold a gun. There would be no reason to use any other gun. Likewise, you could get someone's leg and then they can't walk, so you take their arms off and they are screwed and left sitting there. That is no fun for torso boy.

Yeh I suppose so. Just make it look better than UT99 where the blade disapeared. How about running around with a blade stuck in your leg. Or in your ass :p :ripper:
Chaos UT does this with arrows and it looks cool

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
About the ripper: It was spammy, but that's easy to fix, just dial down the launch speed, # of bounces, etc.

I'd like to see it back. I loved flagrunning on Coret with it.

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
BooGiTyBoY said:
Last thing I wanna say about it is FOR CHRISTS SAKE THE GUN WAS FUN!!!!! Specially with this apparent drive to make the new UT more noob friendly. Anyone can hop in a server, grab that thing, and have a blast wether they are gettin' tooled on or not.
I think this is key. Regardless of the weapon's skill requirement, it was truly distinct and just plain FUN -- especially with people new to the game. Whenever I introduced UT to someone new, he would often gravitate to the Ripper and get a good chuckle out of it.

I agree that it could be a bit spammy at times. But I think they could tone down the spam just by slightly reducing the rate-of-fire and the number of reflected surfaces.

And whoever said that UT's mini was inaccurate... :eek: Give an experienced player a low ping and low mouse sensitivity and that thing could become the most powerful weapon in the game. :minigun: