The Ripper

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Would you like to see the Ripper return?

• Yes

Votes: 129 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 17.8%

• Total voters

HepatitisB

Mar 29, 2005
Please bring the Ripper back! I saw its new design in UC2, and I can already imagine how cool it would be in the next UT. The Ripper must return.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Actually, after hearing about the minelayer/goo/grenade canister combo thing, I wouldn't be suprised if envy had weapons with tertiary fire. I dug the ripper, but I only miss is on certain UT map ports.

In a way, RL, and Shock already have tertiary fires.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
well, the shock rifle doesnt actually have a direct tertiary fire... its more a combo than a fire mode... like the gun itself doesnt explode , its merely shooting a primary fire that hits a secondary fire that causes it to explode... a 'fire mode' should mean something that actually comes out of the gun... like, in the rocket launcher, the rockets actually come out of the gun in a third way, with no other user input than to fire the rockets in a tight spiral...

anyway, yeah, the ripper or razorjack, i would like to see it come back.... it would do wonders with ragdolls, especially with whatever they upgraded the ragdolls to be in the new game...

how about, like , how they changed the rocket launcher to be more quake-like in ut2k3 and 2k4, the ripper should change its firemodes too, like...
primary fire: you know, shoots them out plainly
secondary fire: exploding razors, maybe the longer you hold it the more explosive it is? if you fire instantaneously you wont be able to do the tertiary fire
pressing primary fire while charging secondary fire : steering razors

so it can be used something like the rocket launcher, except it probably travels faster and it cuts off limbs as well

in chaosut, the ripper is quite cool and it does everything everyone needs, the secondary fire on that one behaves like a flak shell... but in their rocket launcher, you guide it with a laser like in half life 2, but the ripper steering should simply be like remote control and less like a laser guided weapon, so it will take skill but it will also become more dangerous, and make it so that the ripper can turn more sharply too

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Trust, you don't have to explain Shock to me ;)

It always has had a third attack that has been hard for them to balance out, and if they introduced this system into unreal tournament, they prolly wouldn't bestow one upon the shock rifle, giving it 4 attacks, and use tertiary in the rest of the weapons to balance out the shock rifle. Then maybe, it could have some of it's old "power" back.

Personally, I like the combo better then a tertiary type fire anyways, becuase of "skill to use". Like with rockets, it's more "skill to avoid".

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Sure. It might get a reputation for spam from noobs (And rightly so) but the thing is any skilled player, in UT99, either ran away, or ducked (Remember- you couldn't get Headshot while crouching then.)

I've seen skilled players ridiculously good with this thing. They'd fire a blade at a guy sniping, and 10, 15 seconds later... pow. Clean off. Plus if there's an ability to shoot off limbs (Or at least, hamper movement through them) that'd make the Ripper a pretty strategic weapon.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
A real good player can do a bank shot off a wall and decapitate players.

I got pretty good with the back shot off the floor and taking off heads.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
hm imagine, tiny little blades flying through the air, each maybe 1 or 2 seconds apart... how can that be spammy? sorry but ive never really played the old UT beyond the demo before... i've used the razorjack a looong time ago in dm-ariza in the original unreal, and its only really been a problem where you happen to have 2 parallel surfaces facing each other (like on the bridge where the boxes are), but then too the razors just disintergrate very soon....

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
The problem with the ripper back in the day was new people playing the game would pick it up and just start flinging razors ALL around the room.

Well.. MOST people thought that was a problem... I used to think it was hysterical when some dude talkin' smack cuz he was owning everyone had his head taken off by some new player and the ripz. LMAO!!!

Asides from it's nooby spammishness, the ripper really WAS a great weapon if used with some skill. I've also seen players use the secondary to bounce players and set up a head-shot with the primary. I used to play a lot of ctf in old UT and it was a great defensive weapon and could really be used strategically. Say on a map like Coret, you could actually "steer" the attacking FC's into your hallway of choice just by sending some discs down one of the others. Just an example.

Last thing I wanna say about it is FOR CHRISTS SAKE THE GUN WAS FUN!!!!! Specially with this apparent drive to make the new UT more noob friendly. Anyone can hop in a server, grab that thing, and have a blast wether they are gettin' tooled on or not. :D

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
The same could be said for all of UT's guns really. Can be spammed, can be exacting weapon from a more skilled player. Flak - spammy primary - great up close single blast kill (and mortars...whee) r0x, spammy sixpack, or 5-10 seconds of prediction whoopass.

Ripper was the same, spam away to get some lucky hits, or use it more precisely for skilled kills - it needs ALOT of tweaking for this day and age obviously, but it can be good again

/me remembers a 3-5 second predicted single blade headshot on an EFC running up the hill on CTF-Face.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Definetely should be brought back. Its a much better weapon than the minigun, which frankly, I'm glad they have got rid of. It required no real skill to hit people with.
I look forward to learning to bounce them off walls for headshots :D

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
so , this is one weapon which is both good for enticing noobs to use it with more skill.... and rewarding the people who have learned how to use it with more skill with more kills, then? unlike the hitscan weapons, which is very off-putting to someone who is not used to precise movements of their hands, or the flak cannon which is pure spam, or the overused machine gun ,plasma gun and rocket launcher....

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
If youre using the flack cannon as pure spam - youre using it wrong!

Most of the weapons I prefer (That being every non-hitscan weapon) is automatically dismissed as a "spam weapon" by the 1337 people in this game. As a matter of fact, the only non-spam weapons seem to be the LG and the SR these days. (Everyone seems to forget the alt-fire of the shock rifle's spamming poential.) But if youre using the weapons right, and intelligently, you souldnt spam the weapon and hope for a hit. AIM AT THE PERSON and track their movement, and fire at them. IMO, Air-roxing someone isnt spam.

And about the Ripper cutting people's limbs off, I don't tink that is such a good idea. It would royally suck if youre "arm got cut off" and you coudn't fire or hold a gun. There would be no reason to use any other gun. Likewise, you could get someone's leg and then they can't walk, so you take their arms off and they are screwed and left sitting there. That is no fun for torso boy.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
CyMek said:
If youre using the flack cannon as pure spam - youre using it wrong!

Most of the weapons I prefer (That being every non-hitscan weapon) is automatically dismissed as a "spam weapon" by the 1337 people in this game. As a matter of fact, the only non-spam weapons seem to be the LG and the SR these days. (Everyone seems to forget the alt-fire of the shock rifle's spamming poential.) But if youre using the weapons right, and intelligently, you souldnt spam the weapon and hope for a hit. AIM AT THE PERSON and track their movement, and fire at them. IMO, Air-roxing someone isnt spam.

And about the Ripper cutting people's limbs off, I don't tink that is such a good idea. It would royally suck if youre "arm got cut off" and you coudn't fire or hold a gun. There would be no reason to use any other gun. Likewise, you could get someone's leg and then they can't walk, so you take their arms off and they are screwed and left sitting there. That is no fun for torso boy.
Open Console.
Type Suicide.
Close Console.
Fight Smarter.

;)