The Obama war against Fox News

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's only very slightly different. It is regulating a service (which counts as commerce) and if you don't see how mandating healthcare relates to production of a product (here's a hint: they're both bringing in money), then I can't help you. For further thoughts, I'll let some random professor from the internet (okay, so he's the Dean of law at UC Irvine) say it for me

Here's the first reply on the comments at the politico thread

Of course, Chemernsky would think such mandates are constitutional. He also believes that the 2nd Amendment does not give an individual the right to own firearms.

In short I think the author is full of crap. He pretty much lost all credibility in my mind when he argued:

There is no right to not have insurance. Most states now require automobile insurance as a condition for driving.

Because driving is a privilege, living is a right.

I also reject the line of reasoning that this is no different than social security. We would be taxed you based on ownership of a specific product. Social security is taken from everybody regardless. Such a law would be no different than if congress enacted a tax fining all those that didn't own Ford cars.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
I also reject the line of reasoning that this is no different than social security.
looking past the fact that SS is a complete disaster (hope you younger folks don't plan on seeing a dime from it), it too was unconstitutional. FDR had to pack the courts to get it through, like pretty much everything involved with the New Deal. I mean hell, he even wanted to make a 2nd bill of rights

Anyone that has any intention of being intellectually honest, understands federalism and the enumerated powers would agree that it's unconstitutional. But some would rather attempt to use loopholes (citing SC rulings) to bend the constitution to their agenda. It's really that simple.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
looking past the fact that SS is a complete disaster (hope you younger folks don't plan on seeing a dime from it), it too was unconstitutional. FDR had to pack the courts to get it through, like pretty much everything involved with the New Deal. I mean hell, he even wanted to make a 2nd bill of rights

Anyone that has any intention of being intellectually honest, understands federalism and the enumerated powers would agree that it's unconstitutional. But some would rather attempt to use loopholes (citing SC rulings) to bend the constitution to their agenda. It's really that simple.

Well we can't rewrite history. I just think it's a given that this is going to get challenged in court. The discussion is growing by the day, and I wouldn't even be surprised if that's what finally ends up killing the bill.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

You see, this is where you are deluding yourself. You don't get to decide what is constitutional. Neither does the president, neither does congress. Only the supreme court gets to decide. Whether they be right or wrong (morally, ethically, whatever), their decision says what is and is not constitutional.

You say that anyone with "any intention of being intellectually honest...would agree that it's unconstitutional." Well, being relatively educated, understanding both the history of my country, having read way too many examples of court cases regarding the constitution and being very pragmatic and reasonable: I disagree that it is unconstitutional.

Here is a better example. Anyone who has any intention of being intellectually honest, understands federalism and the enumerated powers, would agree that the constitution can be translated any number of ways and it is easy to see why some people would disagree whether or not it should lean to the left or to the right, as it is rather vague in many parts. Further, they should understand that their translation means squat because the SC decides which is which, no matter how much they like it. When SC history leans towards a certain concept, no matter how much they disagree with it, chances are, they're gonna continue leaning that way.

Stop pretending that people that agree with you are the only reasonable (or intellectually honest) people out there. It is obvious to me that health care is constitutional and I've been looking up cases for hours upon hours of late and thinking about whether or not there seems to be the case against it. According to you, I'm deluding myself to twist the constitution to my agenda. You, however, don't seem to understand the difference between opinion (as translating somethng always is) and fact. Just because it's clear to you doesn't make it so.

Well we can't rewrite history. I just think it's a given that this is going to get challenged in court. The discussion is growing by the day, and I wouldn't even be surprised if that's what finally ends up killing the bill.
SC won't hear something until it is already in effect. So the bill would have to be passed and then someone would have to challenge it in court, then appeal it through the district and appellate courts, etc. all the way up to the SC. Given their history of rulings and current composition, do you REALLY think the SC would strike down the health care bill? I don't even think it's close and would bet money it would be a 7-2 or maybe a 6-3 ruling.

Back on topic. Here's another example of why Fox isn't being treated as an even slightly impartial (or 'real') news organization. Again, courtesy of The Daily Show. If you guys would like, I could post a different source, but TDS is funny and anyone that points out how off the mark fox is is going to be (be default) a very biased source. I'm sure you'd prefer this to, say, huffington or some other crazed liberal.

~Jason

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
SC won't hear something until it is already in effect. So the bill would have to be passed and then someone would have to challenge it in court, then appeal it through the district and appellate courts, etc. all the way up to the SC. Given their history of rulings and current composition, do you REALLY think the SC would strike down the health care bill? I don't even think it's close and would bet money it would be a 7-2 or maybe a 6-3 ruling.

Sorry you misunderstand. I think that if this issue continues to become a larger issue that they just won't be able to get enough support in congress to pass it. One side is going to complain that it's unconstitutional, and the other side is going to point out (rightly so) that an incentive to get people to buy is necessary to decrease costs.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Back on topic. Here's another example of why Fox isn't being treated as an even slightly impartial (or 'real') news organization. Again, courtesy of The Daily Show. If you guys would like, I could post a different source, but TDS is funny and anyone that points out how off the mark fox is is going to be (be default) a very biased source. I'm sure you'd prefer this to, say, huffington or some other crazed liberal.

~Jason
I don't see how that backs up your point, though. News organizations pick and choose news all the time. All you have to do is look at the ACORN fiasco to see CNN and MSNBC completely avoiding the issue until the last possible second, so, no, ignoring news is not something unique to Fox.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
...MSNBC completely avoiding the issue until the last possible second, so, no, ignoring news is not something unique to Fox.

Except the day the whole ACORN thing happened Rachel Maddow had a 10 minute segment on it, calling out even Democrats for their moronic stance on ACORN, and what ACORN really does and why it's a perfect target for Republicans.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Except the day the whole ACORN thing happened Rachel Maddow had a 10 minute segment on it, calling out even Democrats for their moronic stance on ACORN, and what ACORN really does and why it's a perfect target for Republicans.

This.

Also, the other networks were simply slow at getting to the story. Just because you're behind on a story doesn't mean you're ignoring it. The other networks simply dropped the ball and were on it as the whole thing blew up.

The example I posted is a very, very clear example of Fox's extreme bias--they call out other networks for only devoting a decent sized hunk of time to the tea party rallies, yet as soon as an equally sized rally happens they don't approve on, it gets nearly nonexistent coverage on Fox, no reporters on the scene and even going so far as to send a reporter to an empty field to cover a small anti-obama rally at a small school. That is not a news organization, that is a propaganda machine.

~Jason

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
That is not a news organization, that is a propaganda machine.

oh, and cnn and msnbc giggling and calling the protesters "teabaggers" is anything less than a "propaganda machine" ? please... and as pointed out, the other networks dragged their feet as long as possible with the acorn thing until it was a huge national story and they could no longer pretend it didn't exist. Oh, RM did a whopping 10 minutes on it... and then tried to demonize the guys that made the recordings... GG mainstream media propaganda machine. :lol:

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
You see, this is where you are deluding yourself. You don't get to decide what is constitutional. Neither does the president, neither does congress. Only the supreme court gets to decide. Whether they be right or wrong (morally, ethically, whatever), their decision says what is and is not constitutional.
So, by that argument, slavery and segregation were once constitutional.

Stop pretending that people that agree with you are the only reasonable (or intellectually honest) people out there. It is obvious to me that health care is constitutional and I've been looking up cases for hours upon hours of late and thinking about whether or not there seems to be the case against it. According to you, I'm deluding myself to twist the constitution to my agenda. You, however, don't seem to understand the difference between opinion (as translating somethng always is) and fact. Just because it's clear to you doesn't make it so.
you're not necessarily twisting the constitution to your agenda by doing that (even though I think you are), you're just taking SC rulings as absolute even though you even admitted, above, that they could be flawed

the intellectual honesty comes into play where you read the constitution, understand the enumerated powers and read the words of the founders to understand their intent. when one does that, it IS very clear that the CC was never intended to create a welfare state and/or give the federal gov unlimited powers, which is what the SC has used the CC to do... shall I post their quotes again?

They brought that upon themselves for not realizing the implications of that name.
umm, it was the left that gave them that name for attending "Tea Parties"

Last edited:

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
Oh, RM did a whopping 10 minutes on it... and then tried to demonize the guys that made the recordings... GG mainstream media propaganda machine. :lol:

Like I said, she explained why it was a perfect target. Not to mention the government had no legal grounds to do what they were doing.

And even if the left had given them the name teabaggers, THEY STILL ****ING CALL THEMSELVES THAT.

I will stand behind my belief that we are at a point in our country where we need to stop debating. We need to stop debating because one side is so painfully and obviously wrong, that their only means to survive is to kick and scream like a little child. We don't have civilized debate, because there is NOTHING to debate. Capitalism has failed mostly because of what Republicans have done while in power. Do conservatives even know how to read numbers? EVERY single time a Republican has been in power in the past 30 years, we've LOST money as a country. It isn't a political bias, and it isn't partisan. It is a FACT. Clinton left the country with money, Bush spent the living hell out of it. It's true that Carter left a deficit as well, but it was the lowest of all deficits post Johnson.

The old adage of "Smaller government" so painfully obviously DOES NOT WORK. Why is it that we lose money when Republicans are in office? Just answer that question. Please.

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
The old adage of "Smaller government" so painfully obviously DOES NOT WORK. Why is it that we lose money when Republicans are in office? Just answer that question. Please.

you mean like Obama spending almost a Trillion dollars on "stimulus" and we're still losing jobs? Did you hear they're (administration officials) now saying that it won't reduce the unemployment at all, when it's all spent? Yea, go Dems! :lol:

oh, you mean how Reagan created 20 million jobs by cutting the Carter taxes (which had an upper bracket of 70%)?

Sure, Clinton was ok, but only because there was republican congress that kept him in check. How about the recession Bush inherited from him? The market got almost as low as it did this year... did Bush use a "stimulus"? How about Clinton "cooking the books" by taking Social Security and Medicare off the budget?