UE3 - General The new "So what are you working on?" thread:

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pyronious

Good morning vietn.. Unreal!
Mar 10, 2008
plasmarifle3.png

plasmarifle2.png

Plasma rifle For Evil Reincarnated, UT3.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Not bad Pyronious. :)
The amount of polygons in the grip is a bit overboard compared to the rest, looking at it like that.

Hey Kantham, that looks really good!! Any other shots of that work?

Thanks guys. I just take credits for the helmet and shoulders. :)
The textures aren't looking so good as I had to rip them from the net/game.

The normals also had to be scaled all the way up, but for a first semi-organic job, I guess I surpassed myself. I modeled it entirely using polygon tools like merge vertex, cut faces, and some deformers like blend and lattice

showback.jpg
showfront.jpg

Last edited:

Pyronious

Good morning vietn.. Unreal!
Mar 10, 2008
thanks! my pleasure :)

i gave it a little edit. i thought it might have looked too much like a dolphin. hehehe

for the others here:
plasmarifle4.png

plasmarifle4wire.png

anyone up for the texture job :)?

btw, maulama, what kind of texture indea do you have in mind? anyways im not gonna skin it.. i terribly fail at skinning.

Last edited:

MualamaAlien

Giggity Giggity
Mar 1, 2009
Earth
Texture

As far as texture for the plasma rifle goes, i'm not sure... I suppose once we interest someone in the job we could see what happens

Anuxinamoon

Feb 4, 2009
Well I havent been working on anything new at the moment (save for a few pokemon) So while waiting for some concept art for Skulk 'n' Daggers I decided to figure ou this pipeline for UT3 character importing.

So I figured out the gist of it. Realised that the udn way is limited at best. Figured out I had to use a material instance of their behemoth 138 instruction shader (seriously the tech director at my last work would have smashed and Xbox over my head if I made a 138 instruction shader.) and now My Opacity is not working IN THE GAME. I was wondering if you guys have an Idea as to why. I might just check out the shader again.

Anyway here is the model I used to test this pipeline with. hes an old character from a few years ago. He looks funny LOL.

23kvjft.jpg

Anuxinamoon

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks slaughter!

Did they disable Masked Opacity too? Because the M_CH_All_Base_02 material has the red channel into the switch parameter and then it plugged into masking with the blend set to masked.
As you can see in the screen, his opacity on the stings on his chest is showing but in the game it is not. ><

I'm using a dtx5 alpha map (separate) just to make sure. I'm guess a G8 import wont work as its sourcing from the red not the green.

Slaughter

exsomnis
Feb 16, 2004
Germany
slaughter.jimdo.com
I´m not really sure but I think masked opacity only works when you change the material shading from phong to unlit.
But I wouldn´t recommend that because it will remove any lightsource influence from your material.

I suggest you just model the strings in.
The UT3 Engine can handle pretty high polycounts.

Last edited:

Anuxinamoon

Feb 4, 2009
Ahh yeah. I had a play around with it and it looks like its pretty much a no Masking in game job :(

Ahh I wont bother doing anything more with this guy, as he was just a tester. I'll have to keep that in mind though for when I start making the proper models though.

Thankyou for your help though <3

Last edited:

Anuxinamoon

Feb 4, 2009
Just some fun characters I did to test out custom character skeletons and what happens to them

2817uhw.jpg

Bloody epic keeps all the GOOD documents about UE3 behind licensed locks. I had to dig though my old saved web pages from when I was a able to access those docos to find the Advanced materials doco on how to build a better toon shader. They should really make those things public for the modding community. Its really useful.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Bloody epic keeps all the GOOD documents about UE3 behind licensed locks. I had to dig though my old saved web pages from when I was a able to access those docos to find the Advanced materials doco on how to build a better toon shader. They should really make those things public for the modding community. Its really useful.

Theres no profit in sharing resources, all hail capitalism, all hail Epic.