The "Major UT3 Expansion"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What will the "Major UT3 Expansion" be?

• Total voters

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
err greatemerald..... U2 does NOT have better graphics then UT3 :lol:

Well, not if your PC can only handle both the world and texture detail "2"... Although that link gun effect that adds depth to textures is nice. Yet try playing UT3 on that level, and then U2 on the highest possible settings, and you will see that U2 looks way, way better. And stat fps - UT3 runs on 30 FPS, U2 runs on 110 FPS.
Probably Unreal II looks better as it's made for SP - no need for replication, the action is less intense, so they can use higher poly meshes than in MP games.
Also, the dynamic music system in UT3 is the same as it was in Unreal II.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yet you could speak about optimisation then ;)
Looking at the Unreal II code, though, it looks like they used a helluva lot of native code, or at least pretended to do so, as they mainly use events rather than functions. Strange. Yet this doesn't make modding harder.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Besides, there's nothing much else to sequel from Unreal 1 - the prisoner already escaped the planet 2 times, give him a break already!

A good Unreal3 woulden't be about the very same prisoner anyway, Return to NaPali pretty much wreapped that storry up... not in the best of ways, no, but Prisoner 849 is a done deal, trying to expand on that one would be horrible.

But there's many other options, like beeing a crewmember of the ISV-Kraan and basically making it a prequal, i think that would kick mucho arse if done right (infact this is the one thing i really hope we will see some day), you could also be another prisoner or guard on the Vortex Rikers that doesen't go unconcious durring the crash and get to experiance all of that fighting that went on before prisoner 849 wakes up and finds everyone dead.

But this is a wee bit off topic ;)

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
It would be nice if they kept all of the newer characters, but got all of the old ones back; Skaarj, Thundercrash, etc. I think it'd be great if they made the single player a mix of the tournament and an Unreal 1 esque game, included more of a Ut2004-like menu, and had all of the basic options in there, like throwing weapons and being able to set a button to go to third person view.

Also, if they could make installing stuff less of a hassle by making it like it was in the previous UT games, and switched from Gamespy to something else, complete with a decent browser, that'd be awsome.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Hmm, you must have had an unpatched version of the game then, nothing similar happened to me all the 3 times I played the game through.
It was patched. :) I like to fully explore the map so I probably found some less well tested areas.

Anyway, don't let my problems with the game spoil your enjoyment or memory of it. When all is said and done, I did take the time to finish it so it must have managed to get something right.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It would be nice if they kept all of the newer characters, but got all of the old ones back; Skaarj, Thundercrash, etc. I think it'd be great if they made the single player a mix of the tournament and an Unreal 1 esque game, included more of a Ut2004-like menu, and had all of the basic options in there, like throwing weapons and being able to set a button to go to third person view.

Also, if they could make installing stuff less of a hassle by making it like it was in the previous UT games, and switched from Gamespy to something else, complete with a decent browser, that'd be awsome.

Fully agree. Heck, Malcolm is a Marine, he can fully be in Unreal series, not only UT series. Actually, all Thunder Crash is a marine subteam, and others like Hellions can fully act in Unreal series. I can imagine a nice mix of all the games actually:

Say you're a Marine of NEG. Your team goes to different missions, quite like in Unreal II, but instead them being that short, it could be at least 5 maps long. One mission could be on Na Pali, another - in space, recovering a ship stolen by the Hellions, the third could be on a Skaarj planet, the fourth - on Liandri HQ planet, say, an intel mission to get some data, the fifth could be on Severnaya - there would be something valuable in the ruins, sixth could be a no-team mission to infiltrate an Axon power plant, then get some plant schemes and call in your teammates, seventh could be a lookup of the places of Green Worlds Rebellion, eight could involve seeing an Unreal Championship, ninth could be a Necris and Phayder encounter, tenth would be visiting Alleria, eleventh could involve seeing John Dalton or Prisoner 849, twelfth could be a visit to Luxor XVI in search of some ancient powerful thing, thirteenth could involve destroying a Strider planet etc. And these missions would very effectively cover all Unreal series, be long enough to be memorable and, as CliffyB stated, necessarily have Co-op support. Some missions could even involve minigames of XMP, Onslaught, Capture the FLaG etc. Even these ideas would output to 65 maps - a nice number of very interesting game experience.

By the way, this isn't even off topic, we're discussing future titles :)

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
I'd like the single player to start off as the tournament, but perhaps it could be 'interrupted' by the Skaarj or the Necris. Keeping Co-op would be a must, along with mod installation being easier for the average FPS player. Learning more about the empire that enslaved the human race in UT2003 would be nice, too. Perhaps Epic could keep the campaign/co-op mode alive by allowing you to use mutators or custom characters after you've beaten it once.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hmm, I don't think that it should be started as UT as then it's name would be UT. It could start with you being in the crowd arena of UT2003 intro movie, watch a game, and see the Skaarj invasion. That would be a perfect fit.
Yeap. And mutators were allowed in both U1 and U2, so I don't see why U3 should be different. While for custom characters... They could let you select the Marine team you're on, let you change the gameplay so you can change teammates etc. And it would cool if they were as personalised as the ones of UC2.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
You guys have some nice interesting ideas. I don't think Epic would do anything like that.

I'm working on a script for Unreal 3 that I will send to Epic. It'll be like watching an action movie with playable fight sequences. Linear games are better because you can make the player feel more emotions. Mike Capps will love it, and it will sell like hotcakes on the xbox.

From The Studio That Brought You Gears of War 2:

Unreal III

"You are Benton Blackwell, muscle-bound caucasian and former badass marine imprisoned for a crime YOU DIDN'T COMMIT! You are traveling aboard prison transport Vortex Badass, when it is forced down on an alien planet... in the middle of a WAR! You and your muscle-bound band of racially-diverse fellow prisoners (including black intergalactic hip-hop recording artist Jivebox Taylor) must battle your way through muscle-bound, single-english-phrase-speaking alien soldiers and a series of AAA cut-scenes that will develop a range of character emotions from anger, to rage, to smashiness. Are you a bad enough dude to defeat the alien queen, escape the planet, and prove your innocence?"

Anisotonic

Jan 21, 2008
Montréal
You guys have some nice interesting ideas. I don't think Epic would do anything like that.

I'm working on a script for Unreal 3 that I will send to Epic. It'll be like watching an action movie with playable fight sequences. Linear games are better because you can make the player feel more emotions. Mike Capps will love it, and it will sell like hotcakes on the xbox.

Hahaha! Great read mate. My kind of sarcasm.

darkonxy

Its all about the BFG Baby!!!
Mar 26, 2008
Sigh dont you realize epics beating a dead horse its pointless to hope that this expansion is to be made due to the simple fact one Jeff Morris has left epic (thank god) and the rest of his staff is left to be complete and total dumbasses

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
This expansion is obviously just a Mega Pack like UT2004's editor's choice edition. I wouldn't get hopes up over this announcement, I bet it will be another disappointment. When UT is involved with consoles, it will always be a disappointment, because Epic doesn't like to go out of their way to optimize the PC version of the game for the PC unlike the vast majority of modern gaming developers out there going multi platform, but who knows right.

Last edited:

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
In my opinion, UT3 wouldn't be so bad if Cliffy had been the design director instead of Gears of Whore 2.

Ruffrider

Feb 2, 2000
Citrus Springs, FL
As much as I hope it's something like UT2k3 -> UT2k4 I know it won't be. A retail game such as UT3.5 would hopefully breathe life back into the UT series and bring back a lot of the serious players, and hopefully a bunch of people from TB:: so I could play competitively again.