The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Its not the lack of players that bugs me.

Its Epic still not making any effort to advertise the game, release a better UI...

UT3 was a miserable failure BECAUSE of Epic. Anyone that disagrees is seriously kidding themselves. I know its hard to accept that the company that made one of the most fun FPS in recent years (and I do think UT3 is the best UT) managed to completely ruin any chance of community we had. The statistics on Gamespy show that over 200,000 players tried the demo.

The people that stuck around thinking that Epic would get it right were then promptly pissed on when Epic released what barely qualified as a full retail game. People are upset. We have more than enough reason to complain. Its not the community's fault.

UT2k4 had lots of players, sold well, and had a great demo. UT3 has no players, sold horribly, and had a horrible demo. Its not rocket science.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Yea... and even still, Epic did advertise the game... even just recently -- with all their press releases for the MSU competition.

Not TV spots, but that's the publisher's duty... they're doing what they can.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
part of the text was cut for some dumb reason, but it should have been some thing like "this text is probably way too small to read, but this graphic was made by elmuerte as a play on the Daikatana advertisement"

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Its Epic still not making any effort to advertise the game, release a better UI...
On YOUR timeline, right?
UT3 was a miserable failure BECAUSE of Epic. Anyone that disagrees is seriously kidding themselves. I know its hard to accept that the company that made one of the most fun FPS in recent years (and I do think UT3 is the best UT) managed to completely ruin any chance of community we had. The statistics on Gamespy show that over 200,000 players tried the demo.
Where are those stats at?

Anyway, I refuse to agree that Epic has caused the game to have so few players online. As someone above stated, and I'll take it one step further, if even 20% of the people who bought UT3 PC played the game online, we wouldn't be having this problem.
The people that stuck around thinking that Epic would get it right were then promptly pissed on when Epic released what barely qualified as a full retail game. People are upset. We have more than enough reason to complain. Its not the community's fault.
It's not the people complaining's fault that they are complaining? :con:

Look, this is a simple concept. I don't care if people complain. It's the CONSTANT WHINING I care about and what I feel is ruining the community. There is a difference between complaining and whining. The complaining has been over for months. The whining has been going on for years.
UT2k4 had lots of players, sold well, and had a great demo. UT3 has no players, sold horribly, and had a horrible demo. Its not rocket science.
You don't know how well UT2004 sold, and you are kidding yourself if you think it had "lots of players". I'm betting at it's peak UT2004 had about 1000-1500 people online at any given time, based on the amount of bots that are reporting now and have been reporting for the last two years.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
2 thing there Brizz:

Anyway, I refuse to agree that Epic has caused the game to have so few players online. As someone above stated, and I'll take it one step further, if even 20% of the people who bought UT3 PC played the game online, we wouldn't be having this problem.

Why are they not playing? they bought the game, but they are obviously not playing it.. why?

You need to answer that one before we can even think about assigning any kind of blame.

But to me it is really obvious, there is only one thing that would prevent so many people (the majority of whom dont even read forums) from playing a game they payed hard earned monies for, its because for one reason or another, they do not like the game, they do not want to play it.

And the only people who can be "blamed" for that is the people who made the game, if you make a product people don't like, you only have yourself to thank for the resulting failure of that product, you should have made a better one, one that was what people wanted.

I didn't make UT3, Epic did, and apparently most people dont like it enough to actually play it, so who's responsible for that then?

Look, this is a simple concept. I don't care if people complain. It's the CONSTANT WHINING I care about and what I feel is ruining the community. There is a difference between complaining and whining. The complaining has been over for months. The whining has been going on for years.

Now we are talking about this forum community then (or just forums in general i guess), and yes i can agree with that, this little war between whiners and fanboys is getting really old now, but this forum community is not the game, it is just a small niche frequented by a very few players of the game, but it is not the game, they are sepperate issues.

Unless people all of a sudden start joining servers just to spam the chat area with more of this junk so people cant play, there is no reason to muddy the water, BUF != Ingame.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
As someone above stated, and I'll take it one step further, if even 20% of the people who bought UT3 PC played the game online, we wouldn't be having this problem.

thats true but alot of those ppl arent playing online cause the browser is horribly broken and buggy if you ask me... and we all know where the blame for that lies.

You don't know how well UT2004 sold, and you are kidding yourself if you think it had "lots of players". I'm betting at it's peak UT2004 had about 1000-1500 people online at any given time, based on the amount of bots that are reporting now and have been reporting for the last two years.

thats true, theres lotsa bots in there, but theres still way more players (and bots) playing 2k4 and guess what?! the UI and browser arent broken and dont suck ;)

UT3 is the best UT ever and somehow, someway theres a way to market that...

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
As someone above stated, and I'll take it one step further, if even 20% of the people who bought UT3 PC played the game online, we wouldn't be having this problem.

thats true but alot of those ppl arent playing online cause the browser is horribly broken and buggy if you ask me... and we all know where the blame for that lies.

thats true, theres lotsa bots in there, but theres still way more players (and bots) playing 2k4 and guess what?! the UI and browser arent broken and dont suck ;)

yaknow its funny too cause i seem to recall that UT 2k4/2003 generated at least as much complaining as UT3 did, maybe more, but the difference is, those complaints were more about what changed, what was different and how 2003//2k4 wasnt enough like UT. the complaints about UT3 are more focused on whats broken and why the release was blown, which Epic owned up to... so in a way, the whiners arent really whining :confused: is ya know what i mean.

anyway, imnsho, UT3 is the best UT ever and somehow, someway theres a way to market that... I hope stuff like the MSUC, bonus packs, patches and 'cool stuuf' along with a possible re-release/update/upgrade will do just that.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I can't disagree with the wholly pure logic that the game should be better than it is. But it's not keeping me from playing it when I have time :)
There may be more bots, but I doubt there are more players ;)
UT3 is the best UT ever and somehow, someway theres a way to market that...
I agree, maybe even just a GOTY-type release would be good enough. Just the same game with patches/more content.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
UT2004 probably has more players still as those stats probably aren't for the 5000 gametypes made for the game... Once UT3 gets more mods it will also get more popular. Even if you people don't like the gameplay of UT3 at least get the game for the ammount of awesome mods that will come out which will completely change the gameplay of the game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Those stats are for everything that is on the master sever list, which is anything that is getting played.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Those stats are for everything that is on the master sever list, which is anything that is getting played.

If thats true where is everyone getting the idea that UT3 is dead? Anyone who has played the UT series for years knows none of the releases were super amazing. Sure most of them did better than UT3 but UT3 is basically a good egg in a bad shell. As soon as the community gets into full swing the game will break from its bad shell and become more popular. This generation just takes longer for the community to get started because it has more for the community to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.