1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The community killed UT3

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by dub, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostsoul

Lostsoul boobs

Amateur. I check about 15 times a day :p

2. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

Ha! I never said the community killed the game, but that they are helping in the illusion of it being a dead game.

Yes, Epic made the game, flaws or no flaws. IMO, it is highly subjective as to whether or not UT3 is a "good" game or a "bad" game, if you base it on the premise that certain moves, weapons or gametypes have been removed.

But yeah, I think word of mouth is a bigger factor than many people want to think or admit. I highly doubt, as you do, that the naysayers "killed" the game or even had that much affect, but the influence is still there and does have some affect on the game as a whole. I'm just not so tainted as some folks into believing that all the responsibility rests on the shoulders of the developer. Most, but not all, in this case.

As far as I can discern, UT3 is not dead. So, how could anyone "kill" it? Makes me laugh.

3. Lostsoul

Lostsoul boobs

My statement about communities killing games is a general one. I said "a community" and "a game", i was not being specific. Congrats on thinking you accomplished something. As stated earlier in this thread, reviewers bashing games has not caused there downfall.

You put way to much stock in to forums and communities. These things barely have sway within the game itself, let alone outside it. Your "average Joe" gamer does not come to these sites for info about a game. They go to known sites for information. Only more dedicated gamers go to forums, and at that, they will go to forums they know, not the game community itself because that would be a biased review, either positive or negative. The only influence that forums will have, is over people that are already there, and those people generally already know what to expect from whom and can figure it out on their own.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  4. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Fact of life, people go on to forums to complain. No one goes over to some forum, open an account, and post just to say "Hey, what a great job you did back there!"

5. Lostsoul

Lostsoul boobs

Truth, that is why I don't bother reading many online product reviews that are on sales sites.

6. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

You definitively need a hug.
    After all, I am not the one who daydream about Yoshi and Samus Aran teenager suit. :)

Admit though, if there would be a "ban user" button next to my post you'd feel the urge to use it no matter what.

7. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

WTF? What is it that you think that I think I accomplished? This petty bickering and disagreeing on here is accomplishing exactly nothing. I suppose simple discussion is too much to ask for.

Wrong. You put too much emphasis on what I said in relation to this topic.

[/QUOTE]The only influence that forums will have, is over people that are already there, and those people generally already know what to expect from whom and can figure it out on their own.[/QUOTE]Yup. Not sure why you think we disagree on that. All I have maintained is that the naysayers have have had some kind of negative affect on UT3. If you don't agree with that, then fine.

8. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Can someone lock this thread. :notworthy:

Thank you.

9. os][ris

os][ris New Member

YAWN........................

-----
    In other community news. MLUTDM (ut3) signups are open.
    http://www.prounreal.com/mlut/news.php?c=51

Lets see how many of you whining bitches sign up. I bet 0 as you would much rather make pointless threads about why a game isn't popular instead of actually playing the game.. How ironic.

p.s. For those that don't know, MLUTDM is a tdm draft league.

10. -Entropy-

-Entropy- New Member

Indeed.

I read the Epic forums every day, multiple times a day in fact. I read the BU forums every day. I visit all manner of fansites. I sit in IRC. And I play UT3 online just about every single day. And its not just me.

We hear you, we really do, and we care. But we can't respond to every single post, nor can we address every single issue (especially every single pet issue). If we say Blue, you say Red. So we say Blue when we can, but it would be pointless for us to sceam it until we turned that color ourselves.

11. Soggy_Popcorn

Soggy_Popcorn THE Irish Ninja

By your own reasoning, your post had no effect on anyone or anything. GTFO! :D

edit:
    In this case, no one would have bought Acrappins Creed.....right? No.

12. DocWalt

DocWalt New Member

I've downloaded more maps since the release of UT3 than i had even bothered to get for UT2k4. To say the community is letting the game down is a bit true, but not completely. It's people posting trash ruining the game. Yes, Epic could have marketed it better, but can't you do the same by telling your friends you got it? and maybe letting them try it out? Is it that hard to get people to play? I got into TF2 by word of mouth, reviews honestly had no affect on me. I was waiting for UT3 since I heard about it, and I had high hopes, as did everyone else. That's a whole other issue (people getting false hopes). I bought UT3 and got some of my friends into it, and we play it occaisonally. I don't play it any more than I did UT2k4, mostly because the servers for UT3 are horrific. It feels like I'm lagging all the time, even with 60 ping, and it's still laggy feeling in SP. I have really enjoyed my times in MP though, and that's why I play the game. If you can't play the game and enjoy what we have, then maybe you should really evaluate yourself and figure out what it is you don't like, and do something about it besides posting trash about it. If you don't like the lack of players, invite some friends, keep your negativity to yourself and enjoy playing the game.

Excuse me while I go back to enjoying the game.

13. Lostsoul

Lostsoul boobs

No one expects you to respond to every single post, but one every once in a while would be nice (at least on important topics, not some of the mundane ones). I never once received a reply from an Epic employee when I asked questions on the Epic/IGN boards. I do not have a positive opinion on Epic's "listen to the community" thing.

14. evilmrfrank

evilmrfrank Banned

We need a more important subject. Kantham is your avatar pregnant?

15. os][ris

os][ris New Member

iwonder if i'm on warourist's ignore list :( lol.

16. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

I would like to see some evidence of this, i can see how it can drag down the forum community if there's constant in-fighting, yes, but the game? i just don't see any evidence of that.

Perhabs i should start a poll that asks the people who dont play, why they dont play, so we can see the real reasons, would that be good? would that cast some light on the subject? or just be pointless filler?

17. haslo

haslo Moar Pie!

I doubt that people who don't play (at all) do visit forums like this one :)

Except for those who hang around because of 2k4, in that case the poll wouldn't be representative.

18. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

You guys are gunna start beating each other with sharpened sticks and big rocks now aren’t you.

Ill just sit here and sell tickets to those who would want to view it, maybe we could chuck a flag at each end of the forum and make it more sportsman like kinda like a tournament maybe hmmmm i think thats a fairly good idea for a game

19. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD fart

This.

And Osiris, I shouldn't have to sign up for a league to get gametime in. I should be able to hop on a server and play. In its current state, thats really hard to do. And I still do play UT3.

20. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

Actually, there seems to be quite a few of us, i for one don't play UT3 despite owning it (i have the crash to desktop edition of the game), and i have seen many here state they do not wish to play it, despite owning it, for various reasons (but i have never seen anyone say it was because of something said on this, or other forums).

And that is really the problem here, issen't it, UT3 has sold alot of copies on PC, but so few play it online, if just 40% of all the people who bought the game actually played it, we would not be having this conversation, as full servers would be plentifull.
    the community has not stopped people from buying UT3, but player counts are very low, i can think of many reasons why that is the case, but what's said and done on forums is not one of them, if it didn't stop people from buying it, why would it stop them playing it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.