Suggestions?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
The way the advanced search is done is not like how the reviewer request list is done... though you may have given me an idea... Thanks.

The contest discussion has spanned two forums, so a general summary is a month long category contest (visuals and gameplay, maybe be categories in addition to gametype). Plan to see it after the MSU 3 deadline. Of course, nothing set in stone yet. So more discussion can be done.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Yeah, contest will wait for at least 2 weeks after msu phase 3 since there are already about 5 contests going on at this moment, and people need to have a break from them :p
Suggestions = welcome for the contest :)

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
Bot_40, you want to head up and organize the tutorial guys on the site? Not really much to organize, but basically someone that I can bite off their head if I'm not happy... ;) The tutorial category is in place and the list page is possible... might go ahead and code it tonight.
Hour said he's going to put up some tutorials.
Contact flack ho and see what he has to offer, if you want to be the tutorial guy.

And you're nominated for being the contact guy for the contest. If you wish to fullfill this role, I have some related information for you.

Sound cool?

ThomRed

Fire Fly
Mar 5, 2003
NJ
If you need some help with tutorial I can write some tutorial UnrealEdit2.0 for UT maps. You probably don't need that, but if you do I could easily write a advance tutorial on warp zone, with what I've learned what to do and what bad to do with them. And any other general tutorials for UnrealEdit2.0 you might need like sky box, semi solids, and Masked decorations and so on.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Mass, sounds good. I'll try and contact some people and see how much support I can drum up :)
And ya about the contest too, happy to help with that :tup:

Edit: And about tutorials. I think there are enough resources (Unrealwiki comes to mind) with loads of technical information, but not many more geared towards the design aspect. Like how to make a decent theme or whatever.

Edit again: And I could also do with knowing stuff like what sort of work is involved in porting an existing tutorial over to nc etc.

Last edited:

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
Bot_40 said:
Edit again: And I could also do with knowing stuff like what sort of work is involved in porting an existing tutorial over to nc etc.

Mainly the only thing needing to be changed is the html for the images, if you already have the html.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
within authors profiles, listing maps reverse chronologically instead of alphabetically... or if you really want to spoil us, allow the author to choose which his maps are listed as, or have it as a preferance for visitors wether they want lists arranged chronoglogically or alphabetically.

ThomRed

Fire Fly
Mar 5, 2003
NJ
One thing I've noticed is the color of the font for UT & UT2k4 are two close and on a laptop screen you can't tell the difference between to the two games, maybe something like #FEFC6F. But that might to hard to do and people might get made at the color change but its just a slightly darker yellow.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Bot_40 said:
Yeah, contest will wait for at least 2 weeks after msu phase 3 since there are already about 5 contests going on at this moment, and people need to have a break from them :p
Suggestions = welcome for the contest :)

I was recently thinking about something like a BR or DOM mapping contest. Something that might help bring attention to these lesser played gametypes. Personnally I like BR pretty well, but not many maps are made for it. :hmm:

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
Also... would it be possible to make the language filter a little less aggressive? It doesn't bother me as much anymore since I make my detailed remarks in reviews now instead of user comments, but it always bothered me when words like "repetitive" and "assorted" got censored because they have an "offensive" word as a substring. The potential for abuse is something that can't really be gotten rid of, short of having each user comment viewed by an admin, so I think it would be best to at least dial it back enough to prevent censoring things that shouldn't be censored.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Essential? Possibly..........

Shadowlurker said:
Beta Maps Section Idea
A section of the site could be allocated for beta-testing, showcasing and playtesting - not just forum sections, but an actual place on the site.

In my opinion this is one of the most essential ideas for delivering maps to the site.

The maps would be in a database which could then be switched from beta to downloading and comments with the push of a button once the mapper is satisfied that the map is working and packaged properly for end-users.

Also users who want to be involved in beta tests could easily find the resources and have access to the mapper for communicating bugs to them. Mappers could 'network' their tests with other mappers and they could possibly learn from each other about technical or, ahem, 'artistic' issues with their work before it is delivered to the rabid masses (me in other words).

Obviously with the way things are at the moment users become disappointed at receiving unfinished and/or inoperable maps and then the mapper suffers. Using a system as outlined in the quote may go a long way to providing a positive experience for all (and saving on bandwidth in a lot of situations).

Last edited: