1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Nali City' started by Bot_40, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

I was thinking about what additional features nc could have to make it more than just a map review site. I mean Unreal Playground has it's servers which are pretty unique and obviously help to draw more people in and keep a tight community of people at the same time.
    I was thinking thinking, nc has this article system all coded up and ready to roll. Would be a nice idea to add some sort of tutorial database. I have a couple of tutorials, they aren't amazing, but I'd be happy to update them slightly, well, mainly the terrain one. But anyways, it would be brilliant if we could persuade some people to host their tutorials on nalicity (hourences, davidm etc.) It would mean the tutorials themselves could get a lot more traffic and feedback from the comments section and also would generate a lot more traffic for nalicity.
    All I can see that would be needed coding wise would be a tutorial list page, since the article system is already coded up. Then it's just a matter of getting content to fill it up, though there are hundreds of tutorials out there, hopefully there will be other people willing to move their tutorials over to nc.

I also like the way everything is tied together at unreal playground, as in forum membership and site membership are the same. Perhaps if everyone that was registered at nc was automatically registered with the forums, we would have a much more active community, though of course I dunno if that would be possible anyways because of our integration into bu forums.

2. AMmayhem

AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

I love the idea of adding tutorials. We could definately use it. I think interviews would be cool too, like interviewing some of the more well known mappers and the like. :tup:

I've got another idea, and will require some lobbying, but I'll wait and see how things go first before mentioning it. :D

3. MassChAoS

MassChAoS echo "NaliCity";

Just need the people... the system itself needs one or two tweaks, but is ready to go.

4. Kaithofis

Kaithofis The Seldom Seen Kid

Well, why not VTM's why you're at it?
    You know what I think?
    I think it's a shame lots of good maps go to waste.
    OK, it's great that I can download all the Hotlist maps of the last 2 years, but I just wished there would be some kind of another list which lists all of the classics.
    Try an all-time-highest-review-score top 20, or 40, or even 50!
    All of those great UT maps.... *sigh*....
    I don't really have a good idea how, but it would be a major improvement if you could just get all of the best maps, within one click on your mousebutton. Perhaps in some kind of Ownage-section.

5. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

I was thinking of making a "current recommended maps" list sort of thing. Almost like a recommended list of classic maps. So if you just joined the Unreal community you would have a list of what maps are hot at that time. Dunno how it would be worked exactly.

6. AMmayhem

AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

It has been suggested having a Reviewers Hotlist, where the reviewers (at least the active ones) could pick maps they like, that aren't necessarily on the regular hotlist. Or something along those lines.

I do kind of like the idea of the top 20 or 50 maps list, but then how is the list going to be made?

7. Kaithofis

Well, what I'm in for is like a top 50 of best maps of all time. Score will be based on review score, since that's more reliable.
    That corresponds qute well with the ownage-idea. Although that would lack in originality. Perhaos also some more info about what the big boys are doing (like Hourences, DavidM, and yes, also Bot 40 :p)
    Also, it would be nice if their would be like some sort of immediate seperation between classes of maps, an indication of what's worth the download. But how to do that? I type Not Possible. It would be great though, but there's no way you could check all that is posted on nc.
    Then.... well... stuff that authors might need.
    Make an selection of big packs of staticmeshes, musicpacks etc. All to expand the possibilities. Also it would be cool if you would give all mappers an assignment once in a while (like creating a ... kind of map, staticmesh etc.), and putting all that is worthy in one pack. Yeah, that would be great. Unite a huge group of modelers and give those the mission to create an certain themed staticmesh pack, available for all mappers. Then hold a contest, who can make the best map with that content, keep the best for in a massive mappacks, which will have quite a reputation. Well, I'm having lots of ideas, problem is, most of them are useless. Well, I think some more now...

8. Kaithofis

Just selecting the 50 highest scoring maps ever (in review score)

9. MassChAoS

You can do that via the search page right now... Its just not its own page.

10. MassChAoS

The basic ideas above suggest the lost Vandora idea (or something similar) previously thought up for NaliCity.... anyone have more information on that since it was before my time?

11. darth_weasel

darth_weasel I won

a "nali city ownage" list would be nice, selected by reviewers and admins, showing the best maps of all time for all games.

i can imagine someone just coming to the site for the first time is likely to be missing out on great maps that were made like 3 years ago and so he'll never have a chance of hearing of them otherwise. obviously also throw on latest classics, but i'd keep the list slim, and very elite. no "oh well this one too cause it was good". just the real ownage from the past few years. which reminds me, is someone going to review the 1on1 pack or what ;)

12. [DF]phalanx

[DF]phalanx bgutblower=true

if you need a hand with tutorials i can help

13. Kaithofis

That is true, but by making a new and different list it would be more accessible.
    Speaking of which, more nc visitors and members should visit the forums.
    Bot 40's idea was good, giving nc member automaticaly a forum membership. But I also suggest making it more accessible. By, well, i dunno, a new button which takes you directly to a couple of important topics, like Map Ideas, or Mapping questions etc. I think more ideas should be posted. People need to share those maps they've got in their heads with the masses. Also, it propably would be used more often when you've got one massive button which takes you there instantly, rather than pressing that lil thingy on the top of the page, then register, where a lot of people stop I believe and log in... again.
    OK, once in a while, I'll come up with something, and it'll propably suck, but you'll have to deal with it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  14. MassChAoS

darth, thats the Vandora idea... somewhat.

flack ho, great

Ronin, to take what we have now and integrate it with the forums would be a giantic amount of work. Also, the fact that BU runs the forums and not NC is a significant factor.

15. Kaithofis

Whoa, whoa here...
    Look, first, what's the Vandora idea... I thought you didn't even know.
    Second; look, I'm just suggesting here, of course I'm being too idealistic here and nothing is achievable. I'm just typing what would be a good idea or what would be cool, regardless of how impossible it really is.
    Advertise some more. I dunno, you know the obstacles, I don't. But I'd rather see the top 50 or ownage thingy's. I'll come back if I've got more unachievable ideas

16. MassChAoS

Top 50 is an easy thing to do...

I am familiar with the Vandora idea, but I have not seen anything concrete or detailing the whole thing... its only been second hand information from "the ancients".

17. Kaithofis

Good, well, another idea-thingy then.
    I've read this thread about rip-maps. Wheter they should or shouldn't be deleted right away. Mister_Prophet came with the idea of putting "Rip" in the user rating section, for an indication. Now I've taken that idea and elleborated it a bit more. You see, a new option, something like "Keyword" or so.
    Right before the user rating there's one word, one word which suits the commented maps. Now either the commenter would get a list of words to choose from (like Rip, Ownage, OMG, L33T. DON'T DL etc.) and, yes, before anybody comes up with that, don't dl are 3 words, i know.
    Anyway, that would also be some kind of a solution for the rip problem.
    And last:
    Why am I the only frikkin one posting ideas here? Come on people!
    You've got a change to make a difference, to stop whining and complaining and start to improve, or try to.
    I'll be back................ again

18. MassChAoS

To effectively implement that system, it would have to be based on the score... the user would choose the score and it would be associated with a certain "word".

Although I still see this as a somewhat good idea. Setting a standard for what a score should be related to might get users away from giving a playable map a 0. etc.

19. Kaithofis

Plus you'd get a better idea of what the map's like. Especially if there are no screens. And it indicates the commmentor's view, Perhaps if a map got about 25 times Ownage, then you'd consider filing it ihn the ownage section. If there will ba anything like an ownage section. what would be cool. View darth_weasel's post. His words exactly represents my idea of what an ownage section should be like

20. MassChAoS

ITS A PLOY! ... Where's Luquado when you need him?