Stuff you just bought thread V2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
ztfbsZd.jpg

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Bought the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai Film & Slide Scanner a few weeks ago. I plan to hook it up this weekend and scan some new film I shot last weekend. This should be about as sharp as I'm going to get with consumer level stuff. Also, you get total control over everything. It's pretty sexy.

41Svn9QTwaL.jpg

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
49" Sony Bravia XBR49X850B with an HT-XT1 Soundbar
[screenshot]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518j2zd2XmL._SL1200_.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81W0hnl-0ML._SL1500_.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Have you considered something like this?
http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=750

It emulates a USB drive based on ISOs you copy onto the HDD.

So this is like Daemon Tools, but done in a HDD enclosure? I've never seen anything like that.

Do you know if it can mount/boot OS X install DMGs on real Macs, as well as regular PC ISOs? I've discovered how to add OS X install images to the drive, but each one requires it's own HFS+ partition and getting Clover bootloader to boot on real Macs can be tricky.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out :D

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
hell yeah more people joining the 4k Club.

I hate those curved displays. I don't get it.
but we bought a flat 4k in December and the difference between that and traditional HD is incredible. especially if you were to see them side-by-side.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA

but we bought a flat 4k in December and the difference between that and traditional HD is incredible. especially if you were to see them side-by-side.

I agree, seems that Samsung's got the craziest ideas known to man with their lineup. The salesguy at Best Buy clearly recommended the Sony XBR over anything Samsung, and rightfully so.

EDIT: Even with the W950B Series, for a 1080p set, it's still far better than most on the market in terms of "bang for the buck" TVs out there... Glad that Sony turned over a new leaf when it came to their pricing-to-features ratios. Now it's SAMSUNG that's pricing everything incredibly high for what you get.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com

Where are you getting 4k content?

Anyway, I thinking of holding out for 8k since 8k broadcast is just around the corner here in Japan. The 2020 Tokyo Olympic games will be broadcast in 8k.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
So this is like Daemon Tools, but done in a HDD enclosure? I've never seen anything like that.
My knowledge about Daemon Tools is rather limited, but AFAIK, yes. You copy ISOs on the HDD, select the one you want, and it emulates a USB CD drive that the PC can boot from. My sample size is a bit limited, but so far I only had problems with PCs that can't boot from a USB CD drive. Tried a couple of Linux ISOs, and IIRC a Windows PE disk. Can't remember if I tried it with a normal Windows install disk. I didn't try OS X.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Hmm... Actually, weren't the XB1 and PS4 4K consoles as they were, too? I'm not sure if most game developers were on board of taking full advantage of the 2160p resolution, but no doubt those days are coming.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Hmm... Actually, weren't the XB1 and PS4 4K consoles as they were, too? I'm not sure if most game developers were on board of taking full advantage of the 2160p resolution, but no doubt those days are coming.

What do you mean by weren't? I'm pretty sure they have always been 792p minus the Bluray playback. Can they run any games in 1080p?

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
What do you mean by weren't? I'm pretty sure they have always been 792p minus the Bluray playback. Can they run any games in 1080p?

Well... As I said on the AVS Forums just a few moments ago.
Sometimes the highest-end 1080p HDTVs will sometimes look AS good, if not outperform the average, mid-range 4K UHDTVs. Just like there are some DVDs that will have the same features, and will look as good, if not a little touch above the average Blu-ray movie that's out there. Just because something might be Blu-ray, or something might be 4K doesn't mean that it's going to look the best on those. However, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't at least TRY to futureproof your home theater. :)