StarCraft II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
That of course depends on your perspective. I don't see an RTS of any kind (even one as good as Starcraft) pulling an excessive number of players from Shooters or MMO's. The hardcore players in those genres are different kind of gamers. I like RTS's as "break time" games when I just want to relax with a game.

Then maybe I should try to put things in perspective for you. A normal shooter usually gets around maybe 10,000 players playing at any given time. It's not until you get to the super hits like Call of Duty or Counterstrike that you really start to get above that number.

So how does StarCraft II stack up? Right now the beta has about 8,000 players at any given time. That would place it 8th on the most players list on steam, right below Left 4 Dead 2. It has 8,000 players, AND it's just in beta, AND that's just North America. I know that the 60-80k that Modern Warfare gets seems like a lot, but StarCraft II won't have any trouble beating it.

Like most blizzard games this is a super mega hit. That it will be considered one of the most significant multiplayer games of the decade is just a given.

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Oh shi- I have a friend who got the beta but didn't want it. I'm going to be playing on his account :3 I'll add some of you guys :DDDDDDDD

About to add TWD, everyone else who is in the beta should post their names too:

TWD: TWD.whitedragon

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Sigh. Right now would be a very good timing. Not that I plan to get owned and only see Protoss players but heh.. I'm definitively going to be learning one race and deal with it (Terran), random is just that sort of casual direction, and if I take it I'll just get raped constantly.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Oh shi- I have a friend who got the beta but didn't want it. I'm going to be playing on his account :3 I'll add some of you guys :DDDDDDDD

About to add TWD, everyone else who is in the beta should post their names too:

TWD: TWD.whitedragon

Nice job being a hypocrite and not posting your or your friends name! :mad:

Also I'd just like to take this time to say WTF were you thinking Blizzard by letting your "email friends" see your real ****ing name!? WTF?

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
faust.rayy

edit: yay I won my first game ;D

Since I never really got into SC1 and was always into CnC more, I'm getting stomped. CnC BOs and gameplay was much more straight forward. Time to learn to walk. Personally I could lose every game for the next month and still be happy and keep playing ;0

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Epic replay where I owned some noob is attached to this post.

Just put in the SC2 replay folder in your "My Documents" folder.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Epic replay where I owned some noob is attached to this post.

Just put in the SC2 replay folder in your "My Documents" folder.

You do know cheese is not really the definition of ownage, right?;)
If he had just taken out that one pylon, you'd have lost within the minute.
Still, stupid on his part for focussing on the cannons instead. :/

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
So uh, yeah. I guess I'll also have to wait for a freakin' key to watch any replays at all as well. No replay has ever worked using the launchers you find out there.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
You do know cheese is not really the definition of ownage, right?;)
If he had just taken out that one pylon, you'd have lost within the minute.
Still, stupid on his part for focussing on the cannons instead. :/

You should have just said you were the guy I owned. ;)

Do you have the beta btw, or what launcher did you use so Kantham can watch replays?

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
AFAIK, Lazylauncher1 already allowed replay playback, as long as your game was up-to-date. Patcher still works, even without a key. Just launch the game through the normal shortcut. Also, if you're getting a Replay Desync error during playback, swap SC2base file (containing the AI) back for its original version. That usually solves it for me.

Yup, got beta. darqraven.DarQ.
But I'm in the Netherlands, so good luck trying to find a lagless match:p

That reminds me, I do need to find a good practice partner sometime soon. I've been waiting for my roomies to get keys for ages now, doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon.

For some reason the placement put me in copper league, while I routinely beat buddies in bronze and sometimes silver in custom games.
It seems copper league is mostly people repeating cheese strategies they found on the internet. PvP, half the time people cannon up their main and rush for carriers, another 25% is proxy gateways or void ray rush and the remaining 25% is people going for epic pylonspam-single gateway builds (in other words: no clue. There's been instances where I arrived with 2 Immortals, 6 Stalkers, 2 Sentries and 10 Zealots and all they had was 5 gateways and and expansion. No units at all.).
About the same for PvT and PvZ. All-in Marauders or zergling/roach rushes, all the time.

The difference between copper and bronze seems to be that all of the 'good' BO's and good play habits actually work in bronze, whereas in copper, there's just huge turtlefests where an efficient BO is not going to help you one bit unless you do the exact same thing. The downfall of most copper players, including me in this case, is that the only counter to such a turtly playstyle is perfect macro while expanding. Most players of this level do not yet posess the macro skills and multitasking to efficiently and consistently build off of 4 bases at once. Even though they've got the bases to overpower the turtle, it's hard as hell even controlling that many units correctly, let alone build them all while using chrono boost and building pylons in time to support 12+ gateways AND controlling the battle.
*sigh*

Of course, all those cheese strats have counters, but it becomes really tiresome to not be able to use a standard BO at all, ever. Quite often, I'm taken out by them because I'm trying to experiment with build orders or unit composition and they just go for a quick all-in strat that's a guaranteed kill if you don't scout it in time. The Thor rush Kantham posted is a good example.
Easy to beat once you see it (send your first two zealots to the proxy factory and kill off the SCV constructing it, continue from there with eco advantage), but with strats like this being used almost exclusively in copper, you're going to be spending more time scouting than actually playing.

On Scrapyard alone, there's countless Terran cheeses to watch out for.
PF rush, bunker rush, massive wall-in + turrets to battlecruisers, marauder all-in, thor proxy, quick banshees, floating barracks into your base, them stealing your natural expo with a CC, etc.
The better players I've played often forego strats like these in favor of a safer opening, knowing that they are basically an all-in gamble.

edit: Tried to add you guys, couldn't. Different realms 'n ****. It's been confirmed SC2 will have a realm list at release, just not now.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
For the Launcher itself, I place the replay with the other ones, the only thing that happens is that I get a blank screen with the StarCraft 2 cursor. That's about it. No loading or whatever.

edit: Tried to add you guys, couldn't. Different realms 'n ****. It's been confirmed SC2 will have a realm list at release, just not now.

Mhhh. oookay.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
So wait, you place replay files in C:/users/iPylon/My Documents/Starcraft II Beta/Replays/Multiplayer, and then what?

Do you open them from there by Open with->SC2.exe? or launch into the game with lazylaunch, quit the match to get into main menu and then launch them from the replay screen?
Both methods work for me, so far.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
iPylon :D

Here's the folder placement from my documents: \StarCraft II Beta\Replays\Recent then launch it from lazy.
It seems to work only for games I've played locally. I'll try with the same naming you got there. Though I doubt that'll be any different. Who knows.

EDIT: Yep, doesn't work in \StarCraft II Beta\Replays\Multiplayer

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
So I placed the replay from SleepyHe4d in the Multiplayer folder and right click->opened it with StarCraft II.exe
It loaded, but when it finished, it kicked me back to the main menu.
Launching with Lazylaunch just gives me the black screen with the mouse pointer.