Sentry Studios please oh please

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BTH

Dickcheese Faggot
Nov 12, 2005
Spain
who spoke of armed assault? me? not in this thread though
If it were my choice i'd make an INF LITE for Armed Assault appart from a full Infiltration for the next UT engine.

Burger

Lookin' down the iron-sights...
Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Almost said:
It is fair to assume that there is contact between Sentrystudios and Epic. I believe Beppo spoke to them just a week or two ago.

Ohh yeah, that's good news. (Hopefully)

Is it possible to fix the maxstepheight value from epic's perspective?

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003
I still say that HL2 or CS:S is a good option. However, the real question is:
how picky are Sentry Studios?
Meaning, sure, they could make a great game, but would be Inf?
More than likely, not.
But, I would probably play anything they made on the Source engine as long as shooting is good and player models look good. Hell, give me CS:S with iron sights and I'm set!
But I'm not as demanding for the inclusion of certain features they may want, even if it is NOT an Infiltration follow up.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I think that part of the problem is that the community is somewhat in disagreement about what kind of INF they want. On one hand you have the hardcore sim fan, and on the other the casual FPS with tactical elements.... and in each camp there are sub genere's. Some would like to just focus on the infantry aspect, others on a larger scheme conflict.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Since they basically do it for the pleasure of the creating process and to enjoy the final outcome, I believe they have all the right to be picky.

But there are certainly some projects out there that died of overambition...

P.S. Beppo beeing in touch with Epic is good news!

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Both the large scale battle, which I am not interested in, and the smaller infantry comabt, which I am, can be done in a single game structure and done well. There is no reason to cheat either vision or to water down both.

Provide the game. Let the mappers deal with the rest and have the admins set it the way they want.

As for those who say that will once again fracture a small community I say "Who ****ing cares." I will not play the large scale vehicle, airplane flying thingy bob. If that is all the next version of INF has then I won't even bother downloading it. Therefore I, and some like me won't be part of the community and therefore it will not be fractured. Just smaller.

HL2 is simply not an option. It can not even come close to doing what Sentry wants. I am a big UT in all its versions fan but fully understand even that versitile game engine limits. UT 2007 is showing a lot of promise but as a big fan as I am I'm still not conviced.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I don't see why the next INF should not get a fair big community.
The current INF has it's own reasons why it is so less popular, they are things that I clearly see why they disattract players (they sort of disattract me aswell), but this is all the case with the current INF version, nothing says the same thing will happen to the next INF.

One of the important things is advertising. They are some mods out there that I sort of accidently found out their existance. I will sure advertise for the next INF in other forums that I use (but these are very few) and you all should do the same, but the Sentry Studios should be active in this area (erehwoN).

As long the next INF provides solid gameplay fun, and avoids flight-sim control complexity it will not disattract players and if it provides a large kind of realism (functional! and visual!) it will attract an even larger scale of players (and you should know they is a pretty large tac-sim/shooter genre community, they just wait for fresh blood, just like me).

A large scale combat game (with all types of vehicles) is it's own sub-genre, not all tac-sim/shooter players want that, as long the game is fun and attractive it doesn't matter if you can drive a tank, or be able to play as a soldier only, it is the "fun-experience" that matters.
You should not look at current trends (BF2, OPF), but the cause behind it.

Last edited:

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003
What about modding the F.E.A.R. engine, which is the DOOM 3 engine, right?
How about that for close combat infantry/squad level tactical shooter, not necessarily INF, but it's something.
Anyway, to me, if I was in SS I would be modding something anyway until UT2007 arrives. It would be nice to have something playable and fun, and also as an exercise and a tool to help me realize some game ideas if they are good or not. Just my two cents..
Well, I guess the main point is, if I was in SS, I would still be looking thoroughly for a viable engine/game to mod.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Close combat indoors, running up and down dark hallways is not part of the general gameplan for a future version. I, for one, will not commit any of my already pressed free time to break something that we all know will be dropped. I doubt it would ever get as far as early alpha stage.

Motivation is a key element when you are doing something in your free time. Speaking for myself, motivation for doing something on any engine that simply doesn't have what it takes for the team to do what it wants with it is, to be honest, not there. Motivation comes when I know I will see at least some result from my efforts. The Doom3 engine is a lost cause in that sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
F.E.A.R. doesn't run on the Doom 3 engine; it uses an inhouse engine developed by Monolith. The SDK for it is garbage; there's no prefabs at all in the level editor and a ton of documentation inaccurate/missing according to the official forums.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Death Touch:
Modding something before UT2007? Before you are finnished modding it on (lets say) UT2004 the next UT will be out allready long enough.

Don't underestimate the immense effort for such a mod, especially for perfectionists like the Sentry Studios.
If they start the mod, than for an exact chosen engine as a final version.

I think that is the reason why they dropped the HL2 project, because a scaled down project takes as near as much effort like a full project. They probably could start modding for UT2007 even before the HL2 project is finnished.

So if they start to make something, it will be the primal and single project with the aim for a full scale version. Engines like Doom3, or F.E.A.R. are simply out of question.
I have to thank Epic again (after Unreal and UT) that they bring out a new U engine soon.
Thank you Epic.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
First Infiltration is not complex. Actually it is damn easy due to the fact that it trys to recreate a realistic atmosphere. Everyone knows that if you put a weapon up to your shoulder to aim, pull the trigger to shot, etc

Not all that difficult.

The biggest problem for new people is there is no central location to download all the options and explain everything. Really not hard to fix just people need to do it. And for those who say there are too many options go jump off a bridge. One of the most interesting things about Inf ontop of the attempt at realism is that people can play the game they want and not some canned, what the god almighty creators want.

The big problem is that many players don't want realism they want cow boy realism. They want to point their little fingers fingers go bang bang you are dead. Another words they want the perception of reality but in an arcade game.

BF2 is nothing but an arcade game. Slow the game play of UT2K4 and change the textures you pretty well have BF2.

Edit: There will be a viable engine out this summer probably June or July. UT2K7 is going to be very powerfull and is only 6 or 7 months away. Lots of work needs to be doena nd can be done before they touch a single line of code. Models, textures, plaining all can be done ahead of time.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
(SDS)benmcl said:
UT2K7 is going to be very powerfull and is only 6 or 7 months away. Lots of work needs to be doena nd can be done before they touch a single line of code.
Exactly this is the point, I think 6-7 month are to little to create all the high-res textures, high-quality models, animations, sounds. That means the developement of INF 3.0 should have allready been started.
It takes a lot of effort to bring together all the visual aspects of the game (at least 50% of content), before you start coding.

Of course I have no clue what happened or happens behind the Sentry Studios curtains, but I just speak about the theory of the case.

My opinion is, that Sentry Studios got a chance with the fact, that UT2007 is coming out soon, not yet, because they can start working on it and aim for a not to late release (too, in comparison to other upcoming UT2007 mods).

Imagine they would start making INF for UT2007 when it was allready released about a half of a year ago. INF would be released at least 1, or 1,5 years later and the engine is already outdated.

Take the chance guys.

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
There was a demo for an UE3 game released recently (RoboHordes), it's crap because it's designed to only work on Hyperthreaded Intel CPU's but it might be good enough to get a look at the engine.

Perhaps ask Epic about an early-release of some of the core UScript files so you can get a head start? (perhaps they are planning another freely released runtime environment like they did for UE2)
Either way, there shouldn't be any reason why the artistic side of things couldn't start early...it's the coding that's not doable right now, can't do anything without sources.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Almost:
You probably speak about the content originally produced for HL2? Not that it matters what engine in that case.

@[Sixpack]-Shambler-:
Exactly. Ingame content can be done, but when the developers have no idea if UE3 is the right engine the work is 'wasted', so as you say they need an insight into the engines capabilities to find out if it is the right platform for INF.
I'm sure the Sentry Studios can get sort of a preview.

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Well by the sounds of the problems they had with UT2k4 (MaxStepHeight for one) it was all 'relatively' minor (i.e. problems with UScript side of engine), if they can get a preview of sorts then they can inform Epic of these small problems before the game is actually released. (i.e. sorting out these problems before they become a 'real' problem in a way)

It's definetly something worth pursuing, with Sentry Studios past reputation for work with Unreal (all the way back to Unreal1) there might even be room for a non-commerical engine licence. (i.e. limited engine source code access)

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003
OICW said:
F.E.A.R. doesn't run on the Doom 3 engine; it uses an inhouse engine developed by Monolith. The SDK for it is garbage; there's no prefabs at all in the level editor and a ton of documentation inaccurate/missing according to the official forums.

Whoah......

Anyway, I could swear that F.E.A.R. is just DOOM 3 but like......different.

No, seriously, I played the demo and I could have sworn it's just a modded Doom 3.

And second, I thought that just concentrating on the weapon dynamics and player movement dynamics would be the main focus of any pre, non INF mod. I wasn't aware that focusing on this was an "immense effort". Perhaps I am not actually "underestimating".
The point was to make something "fun", I never implied "MAKE INFILTRATION, NOW, PUNY HUMANS!"
LOL!
I did not know that the FEAR SDK was crap, that is bad news.
However, a mod doesn't necessarily have to be about "dark corridors" if you don't want them in your mod.
Ah, with the lack of motivation from SS, and the wait for UT2007 (which hasn't been tested for all the details SS must have in order to mod)I guess we'll see something in about 2 years.
There's other stuff out there meantime.
We'll see.
Good luck.
:)

Last edited: