Recent Fads/Trends That Will Shamefully Define this Generation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
It's weird to look at certain trends in today's life and think, "This is going to be the comedy fodder of the future." Here are some things I think will be remembered with shame by the next generation.

Post-rock: Like the cheesy synthesizers of the 80s, echoing guitar effects on mellow single notes have stained this decade's music. Favorite thing ruined by this trend: The Watchment. Great movie, terrible post-rock score. Damn you Slint.

Quick Time Events: Shenmue, how you have revolutionized things. Truly we are blessed by your gaming innovations of open-worlds and pressing buttons that appear on screen before they go away or die. One can only hope QTE's are a fad and will fade away like last years teen starlet. Favorite thing ruined by this trend: Resident Evil 4. Such a good game is tarnished by such a bad idea.

Bullet Time Sequences: Is it sad that the best movie to use this effect was the first? I mean, The Matrix has 360 spins of action, and now it's a ****ing prerequisite and any modern action movie to have slow-motion. It doesn't matter if the movie could have been just as good without random moments of time slowing down, because EVERYTHING CAN USE MOAR BULLET TIME. Favorite thing ruined by this trend: Every action movie released after The Matrix. Seriously. Stop it Hollywood.

I envision a next generation of moviegoers, music-listeners, and gamers who will look at our old icons and ask "what the hell is this crap?" I think these three things are among that crap. What are your predictions?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What are your predictions?

Everyone will get bored out of their skull of Hollywoodian movies and prefab music. The lobbys will use this as an excuse to crucify everyone at Pirate Bay. The people rebel and launch a new religion which will consist in smashing cds and dvds while worshipping the statue of a donkey.

shrek-donkey.jpg

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Matrix ftw.

I think Apple, in a few years time Apple will be [hopefully] bankrupt, and we will all look back at a time when some people taught that an ipod and a mp3 player where two totally different things.
and the world will be united in its love of Microsoft.

Thats what i think anyway.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Well the next generation seems to be going for retro/80's looks and electro synthy/rave type music seems to be sneaking back in beside the emo stuff.

Hopefully nu metal has essentially died now so we can all happily be ashamed of that little venture.

Smoking possibly, as far as i can tell less and less people are smoking these days, at least in the UK, it might well be back in fashion shortly though for being too naughty to not be cool. Mostly though the general feeling around it is it's what chav's do.

We have a recession beating down on us so hard times are coming so i'd expect the upcoming generation to view us older folks as fuddy-duddy penny pinching conservative folks who never knew how to have a good time by the time they're grown up into post recession good times.

Standard CD's maybe DvD's, chunky computers.... maybe even desktop pc's for anything other than the workplace... t'would be a sad day for the pc to die out for gaming but the kids do like their pre-made consoles these days.

I should hope gang culture would become a shamefull trend that is left behind and or sponging off the state... but it's unlikely.

On bullet time though. I think Bullet time has some life left in it, it has more potential than has been used of it and it'll always be one of those tools... if used properly is pretty good... many people mistake any old slow motion sequence for "bullet-time" and that's not the case, "bullet-time" done properly mostly goes unnoticed or should be, as with any other form of filming technique. I wouldn't be suprised if it was considered a trendy fad that died out despite the fact that it was still used regularly anyway without people realising.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Matrix ftw.

I think Apple, in a few years time Apple will be [hopefully] bankrupt, and we will all look back at a time when some people taught that an ipod and a mp3 player where two totally different things.
and the world will be united in its love of Microsoft.

Thats what i think anyway.

lol, Apple will be around. Someone has to be left for the EU to sue after Microsoft runs out of money :D

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
50 Cents and baggy pants people.
Indeed. Rap will definitely define it. Though the alternative is worse... Jonas Brothers? Hannah Montana? That's what today's kids listen to.

Other things that will define this particular decade:

• 9/11. In fact, some people say that Generation Y (Which a fair number of the people on this board, myself included, come from) definitively ended with 9/11, and that the next generation are those who grow up in the aftermath, meaning that'll be kids who were born around 1998 or so.
  • "Reality" TV shows. You know, the ones that aren't real at all. After all, when's the last time a bunch of strangers said "We're gonna pimp your ride"?
  • Internet! Sure, it was around in the mid 90s, but this decade is where things really took off. P2P, Torrents, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, and all that stuff that makes companies cringe took off during this decade.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have to agree with "Reality TV". There is no shame in much of what we do, but there is lots of shame in reality TV.

Edit: Interestingly, I typed "there is much of same in reality TV" at first, which is surprisingly full of massive truth.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Emo.

It's today's romanticism, only back in the day it actually produced good literature, paintings and art. Emo just produces crappy music.

Indeed. Rap will definitely define it. Though the alternative is worse... Jonas Brothers? Hannah Montana? That's what today's kids listen to.

Other things that will define this particular decade:

• 9/11. In fact, some people say that Generation Y (Which a fair number of the people on this board, myself included, come from) definitively ended with 9/11, and that the next generation are those who grow up in the aftermath, meaning that'll be kids who were born around 1998 or so.
  • "Reality" TV shows. You know, the ones that aren't real at all. After all, when's the last time a bunch of strangers said "We're gonna pimp your ride"?
  • Internet! Sure, it was around in the mid 90s, but this decade is where things really took off. P2P, Torrents, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, and all that stuff that makes companies cringe took off during this decade.

This. All of it.

I'd say the internet stands out the most though. Just because of how it has litterally changed the world in the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
50 Cents and baggy pants people.
...baggy pants?

Surely you mean derivative post-emo and too-tight jeans!

<-- Shamefully listens to derivative post-emo music. Pants not tight. 'cause his nuts don't fit.

nobody on the corner have swagga like us

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Bullet Time Sequences: Is it sad that the best movie to use this effect was the first? I mean, The Matrix has 360 spins of action, and now it's a ****ing prerequisite and any modern action movie to have slow-motion. It doesn't matter if the movie could have been just as good without random moments of time slowing down, because EVERYTHING CAN USE MOAR BULLET TIME. Favorite thing ruined by this trend: Every action movie released after The Matrix. Seriously. Stop it Hollywood.
Funny enough, the one movie I expected to contain lots of bullet time and we dive slowly through the air while firing guns moments was surprisingly lacking: Max Payne.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
FuLLBLeeD, That is indeed terrible music my good sir.
And lastly, let's not forget the wiggers/chavs. I'm already laughing at them. I can't imagine in 20 years.

Last edited: