Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Inception - 10/10

First of all, I have to admit that Iam a bit biased towards Nolan. With that said, Inception is undoubtedly the best movie of 2010 and perhaps even the best movie of 2000, but that's my opinion.

The story is complex, but if you pay attention it's not hard to follow, everything is more or less explained if you listen to the dialogue.

Great acting from all of the cast, I'm especially impressed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy who are both actors without a heap of well known movies in their portfolio. They handle themselves really well amongst experienced actors like DiCaprio, Cotillard, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe etc.

Some minor things that bothered me,
Marion Cotillard's character could have been used more as a villain. And it seems kinda wasteful to only use Michael Caine for one or two scenes

Will probably end up watching it again in the theatre!

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Inception - 10/10
... Inception is undoubtedly the best movie of 2010 and perhaps even the best movie of 2000

Agreed. i usually don't agree w/ critics and the public (how tf do shiny vampire movies draw people in?!?), but this movie was just plain awesome.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Throwing my 2 cents on the pile.

Inception: 10/10
I really don't know where to begin on stating how awesome it was. Nolan's way of structuring his shots and events and storytelling speaks to my mind precisely. Super intense.

I want to believe that it was real life that Cobb ended up in, but there's just a few key points that make it ambiguous and/or almost certain that it wasn't. The faux cliffhanger at the end definitely did not speak towards a positive ending (I think it wasn't falling down, though I though it was an amazing cliffhanger), Cobb's kids somehow never aged (a detail that I'm sure Nolan would not have forgotten and therefor is deliberate), having the odd feeling that in the airport right before the end most people in the shot were actually looking at Cobb (may just be fantasized).

EDIT:

Actually went to see a second movie after Inception today as well to counter the fact my mind was blown.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: 6/10

Nothing horribly wrong with this movie, it's a typical Disney product and a perfect watch for kids. It comes complete with pretty obvious acting and forced romantic/awkward/heroic/Disney elements, a few homages/nods to the story this one is based on and a few decent joke setups (that then get trampled on by following up with the actual reference/homage being literally said). Nicholas Cage is kind of funny in this movie.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Solaris (2002)

Some people found it thought provoking, moving and very emotional.
I'm sorry, I was far too bored for any of this to capture my attention.
I watched it completely and nothing was remotely exciting in my point of view.
This movie moves slower than time itself inside a black hole.
Nice visuals though.

Zero

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I want to believe that it was real life that Cobb ended up in, but there's just a few key points that make it ambiguous and/or almost certain that it wasn't. The faux cliffhanger at the end definitely did not speak towards a positive ending (I think it wasn't falling down, though I though it was an amazing cliffhanger), Cobb's kids somehow never aged (a detail that I'm sure Nolan would not have forgotten and therefor is deliberate), having the odd feeling that in the airport right before the end most people in the shot were actually looking at Cobb (may just be fantasized).

The ending was obviously thrown in there to get people talking. But the fact is that the top did become unstable at one point (started tilting) so that right there points towards the reality side (since in dreams the top had a perfectly consistent spin). I don't see any reason that the ending would NOT be reality other than shock factor. Did they ever say how long it has been since Cobb has seen his kids? I don't think it was that long.

Dont be a nubcake

Feb 29, 2008
Predators 10/10

WOW! I went into this movie thinking I knew what to expect. A lot of suprises in this movie for me. It had all of the atmosphere of the original Predator, and then some. Adrian Brody was very convincing as an action star/tough guy, and felt far more realistic than most. I would have expected to be saying 7-8/10 right now...but 10/10 it is for SURE. A TRUE SCI-FI CLASSIC.

I was blown away by this film and while I knew it would be enjoyable on some level, I was pleasantly suprised.

no schpoilers!

Last edited by a moderator:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Crimson Tide 3/10

Two alpha-males hold a pissing competition in a confined space. Everyone gets wet.

That's pretty much it. Reasonable performances from the two leads let down by lacklustre direction and a script that takes every easy option going. The rest of the dramatis personae consisted of stereotypes.

Mastame

Dec 27, 2004
The Netherlands
The kids argument is actually countered by the fact that Nolan cast 2 sets of actors to play Cobb's children.

Claire Geare -- Phillipa (3 years)
Magnus Nolan -- James (20 months)

Taylor Geare -- Phillipa (5 years)
Johnathan Geare -- James (3 years)

And no, I didn't see the difference, no. :p
On that note, 9/10 for Inception. I'll have to watch it again.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
I personally think he wasn't dreaming at the ending. When the Top was shown spinning in the dreams, it didn't shift or move, it just spun in one place. But the one at the end was about to fall (which did make the entire audience say 'awww' at the same time).

It made me yell 'GOD DAMN YOU.' This made some people laugh and I was pretty smug about it.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Predator(blu-ray) - 9/10
I love this movie, but after my recent viewing I never realized how much muscle flexing there actually was. From the infamous "handshake" to Arny flexing the bow, it was all there in glorious high def. Speaking of high def, it was so clear I could make out Carl Weather's milky blackness. It looked almost unnatural :eek:

Anyway this one still stands as the best out of the 3. If you have seen it I really don't need to go into detail, but if you haven't you should do yourself a favor and watch it today.

Predator 2(blu-ray) - 7/10
Another movie that had an awesome transfer over to blu ray, so good in fact I could tell that some of the city backdrops were nothing more than greenscreen :D.

Anyway the sequel suffers from some spotty acting, and an obvious goofup where the predator still has thermal vision without his mask. The movie is also obviously butchered.. Some kills are over too quickly and it really is a shame that the cut footage hasn't been released.

Fans say this is the worst of the 3, and I agree but it doesn't make it terrible.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Predator(blu-ray) - 9/10
I love this movie, but after my recent viewing I never realized how much muscle flexing there actually was. From the infamous "handshake" to Arny flexing the bow, it was all there in glorious high def. Speaking of high def, it was so clear I could make out Carl Weather's milky blackness. It looked almost unnatural :eek:

:lol:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Whatever Works. I like grumpy old men. Few things are as entertaining as Larry David ridiculing kids for bad chess moves. Too bad a lot of the other jokes are making fun of overly religious and right-wing southerners who lack a little more in the brain department, and that's something that got old during George W. Bush's first term. It even culminates in the most predictable joke of this century. 7/10

L'Histoire D'Adèle H. Isabelle Adjani is such a beauty and a brilliant actress, and the male lead, Bruce Robinson, was quite the looker as well. Tormented by the death of her sister and rejected by the one she loves to the point of obsession, the daughter of Victor Hugo spirals into madness. The movie is beautifully shot, I especially noticed that a lof of scene beginnings and endings were shot from behind objects or glass, skillfully connecting the scenes. 8/10

9. Very good visuals and an amazing sound and art direction (in fact, one of the best I've seen in animated movies), with a full can of references to film and history. Those are the qualities of this movie. Almost everything else disappoints though: the dialogues are as simple as in a kid's movie - which, considering the violence and setting, this certainly is not; the action is too frantic and erratic to follow and relies way too much on lucky turns; the characters and the idea behind them are interesting in themselves, but don't develop and there are several plot holes so massive that it's astonishing the makers thought they could get away with it. All this does not change the fact that this is a must-see for the art alone. 7/10

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. The backgrounds tend to look fake and Dr. Jones to look old. One-liners just aren't the same when they're done because Harrison Ford needed a breather. The real problem, though, lies somewhere entirely else: the world as it's established in the narrative is not believable at all. The inner rules of the movie keep being broken, countdowns start due to impacts and physics work in a completely different way. The action sequences are constantly torn between pretty cool classic-Indy-style and downright ludicrous. And yes, there is the ending... 6/10

The Men Who Stare At Goats. This could have been so much more. The idea behind it is good, but it isn't executed well at all and more time should have been spent focusing on one aspect, rather than jumping back and forth between everything the movie tries to be, which is a lot: slapstick comedy, absurd satire, war film, social drama and drug trip. The plot especially is confused in its entirety, more often than not it seems as if the screenwriter has done his fair share of LSD himself - while scripting. However, I really dig the nonchalant humour, and most scenes involving Bridges and Clooney save things from being an utter failure. 6/10

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. The backgrounds tend to look fake and Dr. Jones to look old. One-liners just aren't the same when they're done because Harrison Ford needed a breather. The real problem, though, lies somewhere entirely else: the world as it's established in the narrative is not believable at all. The inner rules of the movie keep being broken, countdowns start due to impacts and physics work in a completely different way. The action sequences are constantly torn between pretty cool classic-Indy-style and downright ludicrous. And yes, there is the ending... 6/10

I never could understand the hate for this movie. Don't people realize that the previous 3 both had their share of ridiculousness? Raiders had the face melting, Temple of Doom had the heart ripping, and Last Crusade had the fountain of youth crap.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Yes, and you'll find I gave it a fair score. To be honest, after reading all the hate, I expected a lot less. It definitely does have its entertaining sides. My problem with the over-the-top-ridiculousness mostly lies in that it actually doesn't manage to create a world that's believably consistent in itself, which lots of other fantasy settings, including those from the previous Indies, achieve.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
But none of the above was as ridiculous as the fourth ending. Honestly...

Jurassic park 1: 7-8/10

Watched this again, mainly for the dinosaurs. Have to say that Jeff goldblum plays a decent Ian Malcolm. Always liked this first movie. Though I did enjoy reading the book more than watching the movie adaption.

The lost world: 7.5/10

The Dinos are back, and still look good. But I don't think this movie is so memorable. I preferred reading the book (where is levine? He's an interesting character...) Some of the characters got ditched for less interesting ones imho. But the action is good, especially the T-rex vs. the trailer bit. And the downtown ravage.

Jurassic park III: 6-7/10

Felt a bit redundant. That's pretty much it. Back to the dino island, with a cheesy story and some "newly introduced" dinosaurs. Lousy, typically predictable ending.

Sliders season 1: 8-9/10

One of my favourite sci-fi series from the 90s. Because it was so different. Who'd think of sliding via wormholes to parallell worlds? Usually it's all about exploring alien worlds etc.
Mostly decent acting (aside from the girl who played wade), john rhys davies is really memorable as the all knowing, arrogant but kindhearted professor maximilian arthuro.
Not to say I didn't enjoy the compagny of the other sliders. Crying man is hilarious at times, but gradudually he also displays certain aspects of his character you wouldn't expect from him. At first he seemed to be a real pita egotripper. And jerry connely put down a decent character as well. Episodes 1,3, 7-9 are my favourites. I can watch the pilot over and over again.

And I prefer the opening music of the first season to the second. And what's with changing "I found the gate" to "my friends and I found the gate"?
He did all the work and developped the timer. He solved the mystery (with the help of his double).

Downsides: Sometimes everything seems to be happening too fast. And some stories don't get a proper ending. Or f.e. when they slide to a new world at the end of an episode, and find themselves in a very precarious situation (the tsunami f.e.).
You never see how they worked their way out of that one, next episode just start with them jumping from yet another world iirc. Shame really.

Slider season 2: 7-8/10

I hardly remember anything from these episodes. Probably skipped most anyway, and watched more of season 3/4. Can't remember because it's been so long.
Season 2 has its moments (into the mystic -> it was great finding a reference back to my trip through Canada :) Seeing the capilano suspension bridge appear, I couldn't believe it at first. Hey, I've been there! But I'm straying. Was a decent episode, except for the flying sorcerer. Bit too silly.
Post traumatic slide syndrome was my favourite. Overall I'm happy with this seaons (and releaved that it didn't introduce that guy from s1 final episode (luck of the draw) as a new character. Didn't like him!

And releaved that they hadn't killed the professor yet :/

I vaguely remembered some things about the Kromags. As I said, it's been ages. Do they look ridiculous, though. It was a bad idea introducing this type of enemy. At least, that's how I evaluate it now. They just seemed so ridiculous, and iirc later on there's this resistant force uprsing, and crying man ranting about some trauma inflicted upon him by the kromags...oh well.

I'm not sure if season 3 would be worth watching, though.

Overall I've enjoyed the first/second season. Some minor episodes, bit too hasty at times, but as a whole it worked. Good choice on the cast.

The butterfly effect: 8/10

The first time I was actually able to withstand ashton kutcher hopping around the screen. In fact, I think he did rather quite well. The movie starts off a bit mysterious, and you hope they'll be able to fill in the blanks with an acceptable explanation. And they deliver, imho. The movie didn't seem to feel stretched, though I'm glad they didn't add yet another attempt at fixing a life.
Very nice ending btw. Daring. More movies should follow this train of thought. DARE straying away from a typical predictable hollywood ending. But yeah, the masses wouldn't accept that right.

Lifeforce: 5-6/10

A sci-fi vampire from the mid 80s. Another take on the theme. No bloodsucking or crosses and garlic this time. A shuttle detects a derelict vessel hiding in halleys comet, explores and stumbles upon vampires. Guess what happens next.
The vampires feed on the life force energy of the person, and whoever is touched by them turns into a fast zombie. Every two hours they need that same energy, or they crumble up and wither away.
Oh well, two reasons for watching this movie:
- The beautiful mathilda may
- Captain picard possessed by a space vampire and bleeding excessively.

Otherwise, it really isn't worth watching. The movie takes a while to start up, and when things do become interesting it finished off too fast. And the ending wasn't really satisfying.

Heck, maybe I should've watched this 20 years ago or so...