Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
SPOILER!!!

I personally think he wasn't dreaming at the ending. When the Top was shown spinning in the dreams, it didn't shift or move, it just spun in one place. But the one at the end was about to fall (which did make the entire audience say 'awww' at the same time).

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Despicable Me - 8/10

Out of the three animations hitting the cinema for the summer season, it's the underdogs who've come up trumps with their first film. Like the others, it suffers from a bit of predictability, but at least this one's a little refreshing, if a bit slapstick.

On a high note, I hear their next ventures include doing an animated Addam's Family film, with Tim Burton directing, which could have an awful lot of potential :D

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
I went to the theater today with a choice between Despicable Me and Inception. A friend told me that Inception was good, even very good, but not quite excellent, so I decided to see Despicable Me. (Why I am so clever!) I wish I had seen Inception instead.

Despicable Me
is 7/10 due to what its audience expects. Unlike most Pixar films, Despicable Me was aimed entirely at a child audience. I typically consider the "it's a kid's movie" excuse exactly that, an excuse, much like the "it's meant to be stupid" excuse. But there is no accurate rating scale for it if I were comparing it against actual films. My score is because it achieved what it intended to: amuse children. Also, there might be minor spoilers in the following, but the film has no plot, so I wouldn't worry.

My complaints are moot if you only care about the film as an experience to satiate your child's sugar-addled brain, but I won't let that restrain me! Firstly, every character is driven purely by pathos. There is no logos or ethos to speak of, unless Gru's passion to achieve a reputation can count as ethos. Because of this, the characters felt bland. Moreover, the cast is predominately id driven. Freud might have been tickled, but I was not; if I wanted to watch monkeys, I would go to the zoo.

The experience is further undermined by the simplicity of the plot, that is, stealing the moon vs. seeing some girl's dance recital. The conflicts between Vector and Gru were also so frequent and weightless that they distorted the time frame. I don't know whether the film took place over two days, or two months.

With no complex characterization or an interesting plot to follow, all that remains are cheap laughs (most of which were shown in the trailers). Add this together with the oldest girl's annoying voice acting, the unbelievable dialogue, and the haphazard scene changes, and Despicable Me is sure to be a film that I will never watch again.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Edge of Darkness-4/10

Um, no Mel.

Based on the original TV mini-series from the 1980's which, in my opinion, is one of the best made for TV mini-series ever this film falls far short of being able to tell the original story.

In their attempt to change the story but keep the original premise intact they've turned out a film that is barely average as a conspiracy movie.

Even if I didn't know the original mini-series back to front I would still consider this movie to be pretty average.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story- 6.5/10

A ridiculous piss-take. very well done and quite funny; even the second time around.

Commando-7/10

Those were the days; eh, Governator. ;)

Octapussy-5/10

A very average James Bond movie.

Last edited:
I personally think he wasn't dreaming at the ending. When the Top was shown spinning in the dreams, it didn't shift or move, it just spun in one place. But the one at the end was about to fall (which did make the entire audience say 'awww' at the same time).

Ok, then I was mistaken about the middle part and probably wasn't paying attention hard enough or something lol :D
It's just after all those years, his kids never changed :/

Also, the audience did the same where I was. idiots. :rolleyes:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Ok, then I was mistaken about the middle part and probably wasn't paying attention hard enough or something lol :D
It's just after all those years, his kids never changed :/

Also, the audience did the same where I was. idiots. :rolleyes:

You know what, after reading what other people have been saying, now I'm not so sure of what I said anymore. Yes, the wobbly top at the end made it seem like the chances were leaning really far to the side that he was in real life, but some people mentioned that at the airport when he was handing his passport to the guy to check it, everyone looked at him at once. If this is true, then that is a huge mind**** for me and something I didn't notice at all. This restores the status quo back to us definitely not knowing for sure or even leaning it in the direction of him still being in a dream. **** **** ****...
Unrelated to the ending mystery, but I don't understand how a lot of things work, some of these are probably just plot holes that were unaccounted for though.

One I don't understand is how the hell the spinning totem works. It's only supposed to check if you're in someone else's dream because they wouldn't know how to design it to make it work how it works in real life. It wouldn't work at all in your own dream because you could just end up tricking yourself, therefore if the thing really was shown falling over at the end it wouldn't mean **** either way.

Another thing that doesn't make sense is the populating of the dream world. They say the dreamer populates the world subconsciously, but if that's so then how the hell did his wife and kids get into a world someone else populated? If this isn't true and anyone can populate the shared dream, then why the hell didn't they bring their own army of people into the dream like the victim did?

Last edited:

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
The Ghost Writer: 7.5/10

Good movie, Ewan McGregor plays his role very well along with the other actors/actresses, the plot moves forward a little too slow imo but I like the overall mysterious feel of the movie. It's certainly not as epic as the directors last movie (The Pianist). Don't watch it if you can't appreciate slow movies

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I went to the theater today with a choice between Despicable Me and Inception. A friend told me that Inception was good, even very good, but not quite excellent, so I decided to see Despicable Me. (Why I am so clever!) I wish I had seen Inception instead.

Despicable Me
is 7/10 due to what its audience expects. Unlike most Pixar films, Despicable Me was aimed entirely at a child audience. I typically consider the "it's a kid's movie" excuse exactly that, an excuse, much like the "it's meant to be stupid" excuse. But there is no accurate rating scale for it if I were comparing it against actual films. My score is because it achieved what it intended to: amuse children. Also, there might be minor spoilers in the following, but the film has no plot, so I wouldn't worry.

My complaints are moot if you only care about the film as an experience to satiate your child's sugar-addled brain, but I won't let that restrain me! Firstly, every character is driven purely by pathos. There is no logos or ethos to speak of, unless Gru's passion to achieve a reputation can count as ethos. Because of this, the characters felt bland. Moreover, the cast is predominately id driven. Freud might have been tickled, but I was not; if I wanted to watch monkeys, I would go to the zoo.

The experience is further undermined by the simplicity of the plot, that is, stealing the moon vs. seeing some girl's dance recital. The conflicts between Vector and Gru were also so frequent and weightless that they distorted the time frame. I don't know whether the film took place over two days, or two months.

With no complex characterization or an interesting plot to follow, all that remains are cheap laughs (most of which were shown in the trailers). Add this together with the oldest girl's annoying voice acting, the unbelievable dialogue, and the haphazard scene changes, and Despicable Me is sure to be a film that I will never watch again.

Wow, over analyze much?

Took my 11 yr old daughter to see this yesterday. I'd give it 8/10. Was a very fun movie, I laughed several times, but it's no Toy Story.

She's already asked to see it again, and I would have no problems taking her.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Wow, over analyze much?

Took my 11 yr old daughter to see this yesterday. I'd give it 8/10. Was a very fun movie, I laughed several times, but it's no Toy Story.

She's already asked to see it again, and I would have no problems taking her.

I tend to over-analyze, sorry. It's a great movie for kids, just not a good movie for people who tend to over-analyze.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Inception: A -- I was a little disappointed in how shallow of a film this is. Yes it touches on the subjects of what we would do to be with the one we love and it touches on the idea of whether or not we would prefer reality or not and the thought of how an idea comes to be and comes to fruition and what a dream is like, but was a very surface layer examination.

That being said, it was wonderfully written, perfectly acted and visually jaw-dropping. While it certainly isn't as brainy as it may lead you to believe, that doesn't mean it is anything less than freaking awesome and one of the better films this year.

I would say it is probably Christopher Nolan's Matrix, another film that was surprising, visually arresting, thought provoking and not nearly as deep as one would like to believe (and especially the whole dreaming/matrix bit) and he better not make it a trilogy...

You know what, after reading what other people have been saying, now I'm not so sure of what I said anymore. Yes, the wobbly top at the end made it seem like the chances were leaning really far to the side that he was in real life, but some people mentioned that at the airport when he was handing his passport to the guy to check it, everyone looked at him at once. If this is true, then that is a huge mind**** for me and something I didn't notice at all. This restores the status quo back to us definitely not knowing for sure or even leaning it in the direction of him still being in a dream. **** **** ****...
Unrelated to the ending mystery, but I don't understand how a lot of things work, some of these are probably just plot holes that were unaccounted for though.

One I don't understand is how the hell the spinning totem works. It's only supposed to check if you're in someone else's dream because they wouldn't know how to design it to make it work how it works in real life. It wouldn't work at all in your own dream because you could just end up tricking yourself, therefore if the thing really was shown falling over at the end it wouldn't mean **** either way.

Another thing that doesn't make sense is the populating of the dream world. They say the dreamer populates the world subconsciously, but if that's so then how the hell did his wife and kids get into a world someone else populated? If this isn't true and anyone can populate the shared dream, then why the hell didn't they bring their own army of people into the dream like the victim did?

A few points: It is only the people that engineer a different person's dream that attracts the notice of the subconscious people. IE: they were suspicious by nature to Joseph Gordon Levitt's character because he was the one dreaming that dream and they were suspicious of Leo because he kept adding subconsciously his family to things. Therefore if it were Leo making the dream in his own mind or if it were someone else making the dream in his mind, they wouldn't attack Leo, but rather the architect of his dream (remember his first lesson with Ellen Paige).

It works as a way of checking if you're in someone else's dream or your own dream. They are trained enough to know reality from non-reality (at least we are led to believe so and it makes sense), the trick only let's them know if they are in control or not. It is, in other words, a security system rather than reality check. All that being said, while you're right, and you can certainly trick yourself in your own dream, if it doesn't stop you are most certainly not in reality ;-). It's also worth remembering that he gave away his trick to Ellen Paige, so he could be in control or not.

My thought on the subject is that it most certainly had the very slight wobble and the sound of a top about to break out of its spin and topple and the film cut off at the very last bit as sort of a false tension, letting the ambiguity ride, but letting the viewer to believe that it was reality and cluing them into the trick as a trick (which can be fun).

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Inception: 9/10

What I don't understand is how they got out of the first-layer dream. Jumping off skyscraper to wake up into third, explosion to wake up into seconds, elevator explosion to wake up into first, but what *bump* did they use to wake up back on the airplane? They all swam away from the water and onto the beach. Then they just woke up on the plane. Also, if I were the lady on the airplane pressing the button to put them to sleep, I would be skeptical that it isn't a bomb.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Inception: 9/10

What I don't understand is how they got out of the first-layer dream. Jumping off skyscraper to wake up into third, explosion to wake up into seconds, elevator explosion to wake up into first, but what *bump* did they use to wake up back on the airplane? They all swam away from the water and onto the beach. Then they just woke up on the plane. Also, if I were the lady on the airplane pressing the button to put them to sleep, I would be skeptical that it isn't a bomb.
I think they were just supposed to wait out the week that layer 1 takes.
A few points: It is only the people that engineer a different person's dream that attracts the notice of the subconscious people. IE: they were suspicious by nature to Joseph Gordon Levitt's character because he was the one dreaming that dream and they were suspicious of Leo because he kept adding subconsciously his family to things. Therefore if it were Leo making the dream in his own mind or if it were someone else making the dream in his mind, they wouldn't attack Leo, but rather the architect of his dream (remember his first lesson with Ellen Paige).

It works as a way of checking if you're in someone else's dream or your own dream. They are trained enough to know reality from non-reality (at least we are led to believe so and it makes sense), the trick only let's them know if they are in control or not. It is, in other words, a security system rather than reality check. All that being said, while you're right, and you can certainly trick yourself in your own dream, if it doesn't stop you are most certainly not in reality ;-). It's also worth remembering that he gave away his trick to Ellen Paige, so he could be in control or not.

My thought on the subject is that it most certainly had the very slight wobble and the sound of a top about to break out of its spin and topple and the film cut off at the very last bit as sort of a false tension, letting the ambiguity ride, but letting the viewer to believe that it was reality and cluing them into the trick as a trick (which can be fun).
Wait what? I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at. The totem is to check if you're in a dream someone else is designing or not. As for who's dream they were in on the plane, they were in the Fischer guys dream with Ellen designing it. I was just wondering if Fischer could have a subconscious defense force, and Cobbs can bring in people, why can't the team bring in a subconscious assault force? I was also pointing out how the totems work which makes Cobbs using it at the end meaningless cause he could just trick himself.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Law Abiding Citizen - 5/10
...various cogent remarks...

I'd give it 6.5. Not because you are wrong (you aren't - there is a distinct disconnect between what the story requires the characters to be and do and what the Hollywood system requires. Hollywood won.) but because I think it manages to get away with it at the time of viewing. It has just enough style and verisimilitude to convince at the time. The moment those credits roll and you start thinking about it then the score starts dropping.

Bonus points should be awarded for Mr. Butler's successful erasure of his Glasgow accent. I don't know where that accent belonged but it was certainly far from here. :)

Giratina and the Sky Warrior 2/10

Even for fans (and I am one), this was a struggle. Essentially a re-hash of film No. 2 but now with even less character development or explanation. Positives? Well, some of the art work was rather impressive but that's about it.

Toy Story 3 7/10

I'll preface these remarks with the statement that I thoroughly enjoyed TS3.

The starting sequence of this film was well up to Pixar's best - exciting, fast moving, funny. Then matters went downhill for a fair while. There were moments when I was positively bored - at least as far as the end of the first day at the nursery. Matters picked up from there on and the whole prison-break sequence was great fun.

Sometimes Pixar films improve on a second viewing (as you start to notice all of the little details that you missed first time round) but I felt that those details were mostly not there to see this time. All the good jokes got used in the first couple of outings.

Go see it. You'll enjoy it. The kids will enjoy it. Nevertheless, be prepared for that slight feeling of disappointment at the end of what is still a very enjoyable film.

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
More films I've seen months ago...

A Streetcar Named Desire. Blanche DuBois is one fucked up woman, and Vivien Leigh acts like it. It's the tragedy of a youth lost, and more. A gripe: the changes made from the original play do take away from it and make the ending more illogical. 8/10

Giulias Verschwinden. A good movie, not only carried by the two main actors (Bruno Ganz and Corinna Harfouch), but by most of the cast. The film is about growing older (and most importantly: old) and how people deal with it - mostly focusing on middle-aged persons, with the odd granny and teen thrown in. There are lots of small laughs but also occasionally scenes that didn't fit and detract from the overall experience. 7/10

Paranormal Activity. Throughout the flick, I felt like hitting the couple in the face, over and over again. "The Blair Witch Project" may be more annoying (due to the constant hysterics and screaming), but this one is even more stupid. The main characters don't act believably in the least and the psychic man makes for some serious second hand embarrassment. Pointless, mostly boring, opting for every cheap thrill available at a small budget - a complete waste of time. 2/10

Cannibal Holocaust. Awful. Repellant "horror pornography" is what sums this up best. If there is intended media critique in here, it gets lost among all the animal killings. Fuck this shit. 1/10

Cross Of Iron. The intro sequence is surprisingly provoking and intelligent. The rest is not: it's a celebration of slow-mo explosions and the ripping-apart of soldiers. Realism is missing when it should be there, it very much is a Western-like war movie. There's the well done technical aspect of things, yes, with some excellent uses of shots/countershots, but there's also the horrible overacting (even including a moment where James Coburn seems to be a parody of David Caruso), the very unsubtle portrayal of a gay soldier (who in the end gets what Peckinpah thinks he deserves), the clichéd characterisations and a script that is abnormally silly at times ("We are attacking! We are defending! We are counter-attacking!"). No need to go there. 4/10

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Paranormal Activity. Throughout the flick, I felt like hitting the couple in the face, over and over again. "The Blair Witch Project" may be more annoying (due to the constant hysterics and screaming), but this one is even more stupid. The main characters don't act believably in the least and the psychic man makes for some serious second hand embarrassment. Pointless, mostly boring, opting for every cheap thrill available at a small budget - a complete waste of time. 2/10

Cannibal Holocaust. Awful. Repellant "horror pornography" is what sums this up best. If there is intended media critique in here, it gets lost among all the animal killings. **** this ****. 1/10

Agree on paranormal activity. Never understood the hype. As far as cannibal goes, where did you find it as I haven't had any luck. I love movies like that(for the gore, not the animal killings)

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Agree on paranormal activity. Never understood the hype. As far as cannibal goes, where did you find it as I haven't had any luck. I love movies like that(for the gore, not the animal killings)

Netflix... though I don't see why they wouldn't have it at any movie store. The gore isn't that great, besides the real animal gore. Mixing that in is all it had going for it.

Moon - 6/10

Kept feeling like there should be more to this one. Certainly not a bad movie, and Sam Rockwell is immensely watchable in just about everything he has been in (just about. Can't exactly forgive Charlies Angels now can I?). But the fact that I had seen Solaris and 2001 might have ruined it for me, as I kept getting flashbacks from those two and the worst thing you want to be thinking about when you are watching a movie is another movie you like more. I think it has more to do with the fact that the style of this one is just so inspired from those other movies that it feels too similar. This definitely falls into the category of a film that can't do new, so it reinvents a little old...but not enough so that the old tags aren't still visible from a mile away.

Having said that, the idea is interesting. For a moment there you get the impression this is going to go down the cabin-fever-in-space route, but when the reveal occurs part way through the movie it kinda stops midway up the hill and rises again. There are intriguing interactions here, at the film's strongest. It's just too bad that there isn't very much to do with them...well, beyond what you'd expect. I'm reminded of another space movie called Sunshine which was also flawed. These feel like movies trying to be like the classic space movies but they don't bring enough new material to the table. This was a well done homage to the better space movies of yesteryear, and certainly a good acting vehicle for Sam Rockwell, but I can't really speak more about it. Good, not great.

Public Enemies - 5/10

Michael Mann is a director I respect for a lot of reasons (could be that he directed three of my favorite movies), and one of those reasons is that I love how he films shootouts. The anticipation to the violence, the way the characters flinch as the bullets tear up the sound barrier...yeah. He makes these scenes visceral and exciting because they feel and look so dangerous. There is a scene where Dillinger and company are holed up in the Little Bohemia Lodge and Melvin Purvis shows up with his guys for a shooting gallery sequence that steals the movie.

My blood usually boils when I watched "biopic" movies, simply because I know my history, and I know when I'm being lied to. It's really hard not to take it any other way when Hollywood rewrites history for more sass and edge, but it tends to insult me. It is not that I do not enjoy myths over reality, oh quite the contrary! Please, indulge me your fraudulent interpretations of riveting slant. When done properly, as in the excellent 300 (a film dealing with a real event yet based on a fable, and narrated as one), the intent is clear. "This is the myth," the film says. "Now enjoy it." But what happens in recent Hollywood period movies of any variety is that they're either smuggling the grit-agenda or they want to fondle an icon. These films tout realism, now that realism is in and all, yet they pack the B.S. when reality isn't interesting enough and have a tendency of leaving certain details out...like how a certain brilliant Mathematician abandoned his first, unmentioned wife and had a problem yelling "Kikes!" when at the jewelers. Oh I could go on, but I won't. I'm not condemning. But these kinds of things usually go down one of two ways. If you cop out on your own agenda (presenting the "reality"), then you at least better make up for it. So why are a lot of these movies so dreary? My answer? I blame Batman.

At times, Public Enemies slips into this shtick. Toted as a John Dillinger movie, you really don't learn very much about the man, other than he liked to rob banks, enjoyed the company of pretty women, wore nice suits, and was involved in a lot of shootouts. Perhaps that is all there is to him. But better movies have done more with less. Yet there is a way about how Depp captures some scenes here as Dillinger that provoke some thought (like the way he studies mugshots of himself and his associates on a police bulletin with a mixture of mild pride and genuine awe). No, it isn't an accurate portrayal. Baby Face Nelson and other crime figures from that day never met their fates quite as conveniently as they do here, but Kevin Costner isn't around to toss Frank Nitti off a courthouse roof after Franky shoots Connery, so it doesn't drift into the unfathomable just to get a thrill. In fact, this movie and all its inaccuracies doesn't seem to do what films that have all these detours tend to; it doesn't glamorize. Comes close, but doesn't quite.

Somehow that hurts it a little, if you can believe it.

Say what you will about Goodfellas and America's love affair with the mafia; that movie was damned entertaining. Mann's Dillinger movie doesn't rise much higher than okay. It has good moments perhaps, but okay. Certainly nothing terribly interesting about John Dillinger is learned from watching it, and all the other tropes and cautionary whatevers it has in store aren't new to the formula. I can't even say that the shootouts save the film, because there aren't many of those and remember, this film isn't trying to be glamorous. So it stagnates a little too long to be memorable, and no line of dialogue really jumps out to make you recall anything said a few days later. This territory has been mined and quarried.

I will say this; there is some commanding eye play in the movie, if nothing else. People stare at each other and at objects a lot, looking thoughtful. Thinking more than they say. It doesn't help.

Last edited: