Official UT3 complaint thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 now or waited?

• Glad it is out now, i cant wait.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • Wish they would have waited.

Votes: 85 61.6%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 24 17.4%

• Total voters

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Your theory makes no sense when looking at the company's history.

As our Financial Services Authority is fond of saying, "Past performance is not a guide to future returns."

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with Pser's theory but your position seems to be based on the assumption that Epic as a company does not change in its modus operandi (if I may put words into your mouth).

The evidence does not support such a assumption.

Company history might have led us to expect (for example):
  • PC-only release
  • Webadmin in the retail version
  • More tweaking options in the GUI
These things changed because people change, markets change, times change, technologies change, publishers change and companies change.

Even though I find some of the decisions that Epic have made around the botched release of UT3 disappointing, I would defend absolutely their right to make those decisions. Its their game and their business.

I hope you are right and Epic do finish the game even if by way of patching but I do hear rumours from Cary that suggest that there has been some change in company ethos and I suggest that the decision to release a wilfully unfinished game is indicative of a change in attitude from the company*.

At some point though, a decision will be made to stop flogging the dead horse and start working towards UT3's 2k4 or simply to stop. We can have a discussion then to see if the game can be considered reasonably complete by that point in time.

* If the game was released when it was released because Midway (or Sony) held a contractual gun to Epic's head then I retract the suggestion.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Listen, I have put some serious thought toward this issue and it is my gut instinct that Epic did not "botch" the release on purpose. I see this as a Midway "foul-up," plain and simple. But even then, there may be multiple reasons that could even be in Midway's favor for going the route of what many consider to be the release of an unfinished product. One reason is the Sony contract that called for a limited time console exclusive. What gets me is that the game was released to both PC and PS3 during holiday sales, yet both games were released for quite a while before we saw any TV commercials. With all the other games being well advertised on PS3 for weeks, why Midway did not put more dough into UT3 commercials is beyond me.

Yes, there are some issues with the game that affect online play. But the single player isn't half bad even though it is honestly no better than the ladder style method we saw in previous UT games. IA is still great; heck, even the bots are halfway decent. But, some of you f*ckers just wanna complain for the sake of complaining. WTF, over? I mean, seriously, why all the bitching? With over half a million beta demo downloads before the PC release, I have to believe that most of you had adequate opportunity to play the game before plunking down your 49.99 USD. And if you didn't actually buy the game yet, what the hell are you bitching about? If you don't like it, don't f*cking buy it.

The way I see it is this; any UT game in existence, even if it rather sucks, still has more replay value than 99.9% of all other available games. That says a lot. Mons and I were chatting last night, and I told him that I always have at least one UT game on my hard drive, whereas the great Q3A/TA combo might make an occasional appearance.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Yea.... Epic makes tons of money off the dozen bonus packs they have released right?

Actually, yes!

UT2k4 is still selling copies to this very day, because it is good and polished, it has been patched, bonus packed and modded to an allmost mirror shine, with only minor flaws (and the most grevious of thouse we can thank nVidia for).
People still host servers for it, they still play it online, many more still play it offline, and it is still selling!
Even UT99 still seems to move some copies to this day.

Solid patching and free bonus releases are a solid economic plan, especially for small or small'ish companies that cannot afford to have a new release every 6 months (in Epic's case, this seems to be the case because they are so invested in creating Engines, rather than constantly creating new games).

If the base game is good, it can enjoy a long life, and many sales long into the future, if you just breathe some new life into it every now and then, and it has worked well for Epic as a solid side income to their Engine sales and development.

Sir_Brizz said:
Your theory makes no sense when looking at the company's history.

Sorry, but with this installation of UT, that is little to no comfort, as they (Epic) have allready cast aside all that history and given us something compleately different this time around.

There have been PC versions of UT, and there have been Console versions called UC, they where sepperate if similar franchises, and that was a good thing!

But this time, we get a cross platformer, and not the good kind like the CoD series that where sepperate but similar productions for their chosen platform, no, the bad kind where all versions are joined at the hip, and all versions end up unsatiesfactory because they are trying to be two things at once, and just cannot do it!

The PC users feel it is dumbed down, and lacks familiar functionallity, and the Console crowd struggle with a 30 FPS limit and gameplay that is not really that well geared twords their platform (but this is a PS3 game thus far, and there are so few PS3 titles that PS3 owners will take anything they can get! lets see about that Xbox version though, i predict very poor sales unless they do some radical polishing!).

Thats just the state of things, but one must wonder what it means for future developmet also, afterall, Epic promised the PS3 users mods, but how can that be possible if they do infact give us PC users what we want? if they give us the code base, new UI and the features we crave, our version will far exceed what is possible on the PS3, and all mods, outside of the most basic mutators, will rely on UI options and code that is never going to work on the PS3, how will mods even be created for the PS3 if our versions of the game are permitted to become too different from eachother?
And what about the Xbox release, will it too come with promises of mods created on PC beeing portable?

I for one seriously doubt that Epic will allow such things to happen, as clearly, the PC version is not the money maker here, and indeed, we have been promised nothing that will upset this "balance" between the two versions, it seems the PC version is doomed to stay joined at the hip with its console cousin(s).

And then there's bonus content, can Epic really give us something without giving it to the Console aswell? people would be furious! "how come they get this stuff? don't we matter? i payed for the game too you know!", so ofcourse, that means any and all bonus content would still be limited by what's possible on the Console, or sepperate content would have to be made which would also create animosity and jealousy.

I really hope that i am wrong, and that none of this will be an issue, but then again.. if i am wrong, that means all the PS3 users will get left behind eating our dust, and that is hardly fair to them in lieu of what they where promised, so that would be a rather hollow victory.

This release really is nothing like the UT's that came before it, and thus, i find it very hard to belive that we can rely on history repeating itself here, i very much doubt the PC version will ever be more than a PS3 port (though my hope is that modders will be our saving grace here, but then again, they seem to be fleeing the community because of Epic's attitude and lacking communication, and the game beeing so annoying and restrictive to mod for, and i somewhat doubt the code base as is would even allow for a mod of the "Ballistic Weapons" scale).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
As our Financial Services Authority is fond of saying, "Past performance is not a guide to future returns."

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with Pser's theory but your position seems to be based on the assumption that Epic as a company does not change in its modus operandi (if I may put words into your mouth).

The evidence does not support such a assumption.

Company history might have led us to expect (for example):
  • PC-only release
  • Webadmin in the retail version
  • More tweaking options in the GUI
These things changed because people change, markets change, times change, technologies change, publishers change and companies change.

Even though I find some of the decisions that Epic have made around the botched release of UT3 disappointing, I would defend absolutely their right to make those decisions. Its their game and their business.

I hope you are right and Epic do finish the game even if by way of patching but I do hear rumours from Cary that suggest that there has been some change in company ethos and I suggest that the decision to release a wilfully unfinished game is indicative of a change in attitude from the company*.

At some point though, a decision will be made to stop flogging the dead horse and start working towards UT3's 2k4 or simply to stop. We can have a discussion then to see if the game can be considered reasonably complete by that point in time.

* If the game was released when it was released because Midway (or Sony) held a contractual gun to Epic's head then I retract the suggestion.
If you were around for the Unreal release and the UT2003 release, this launch is really nothing new to you. Yes, it would be nice if Epic had learned from those two releases (whether this is their fault or not, the multiplayer component should have honestly been done last January), but the reality of the situation is that this release is just like both of those releases, with critical pieces of the software missing/promised for the future, a poorly designed UI, an only moderately workable multiplayer component at launch, the list could go on. Most of these woes existed with Unreal and UT2003 at launch as well.

What I meant by looking at Epic's past is that they have classically always supported their PC games for much longer than it can possibly be cost effective for them to do so. I'd be much more worried about buying one of the console ports, because Epic does not have a tradition of supporting their console games for much length of time after release.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
If you were around for the Unreal release and the UT2003 release...

I was.

I do think there is a difference in the degree of problems this time round.

What I meant by looking at Epic's past is that they have classically always supported their PC games for much longer than it can possibly be cost effective for them to do so.

I don't disagree that Epic have provided good post-retail release support for PC titles.

However, that does not "prove" that future support of similar quality will be provided for a game that hasn't exactly flown off the shop shelves.

I was quibbling over "makes no sense" as I felt that you were using the past to predict the future. I felt that a rather strong position to take on the basis of past behaviour.

If you were referring only to the past and not making a prediction about the future for the game and its support then I was mistaken in quibbling (if you were referring to the future then I stand by what I wrote). I hope that is clear! :)

I still hope that Epic do follow through and fix things because UT3 is capable of being fixed.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I was.

I do think there is a difference in the degree of problems this time round.
Then you must not remember them very well :) If you, or anyone else, thinks UT2004 has had more than 500 players for the past 12 months, you are fooling yourself. The number of people playing on launch day or purchasing the game makes no difference if the online scene is a barren wasteland (or nearly anyway) within 6 months, which has now been true for three UT releases.
I don't disagree that Epic have provided good post-retail release support for PC titles.

However, that does not "prove" that future support of similar quality will be provided for a game that hasn't exactly flown off the shop shelves.

I was quibbling over "makes no sense" as I felt that you were using the past to predict the future. I felt that a rather strong position to take on the basis of past behaviour.

If you were referring only to the past and not making a prediction about the future for the game and its support then I was mistaken in quibbling (if you were referring to the future then I stand by what I wrote). I hope that is clear! :)

I still hope that Epic do follow through and fix things because UT3 is capable of being fixed.
There is no good way to make general predictions about how someone will act in the future except by looking at what they've done in the past. Even Gears got a bonus pack.

I realize that companies can change what they do as time goes on, but Epic's internal structure has changed very little from UT2003 time. It's unlikely that post-game support is something they will ever lose. It's one of the things that defines them and sets them apart from other companies, and I tend to think that Epic has a better finger on the pulse of the community than bigger companies.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well Im wondering what these commercials are you speak of and ummz you know a friend and I had to drive around to 4 different places to find a copy of UT3 on PC shortly after christmas.

Alot of shops are console games up the front, then they have all these squashed faded PC games right up the back on a small shelf where you cant even see them.

Despite UT3's problems I cant help but get the feeling that PC games are being bullied off the good shelf spaces. Heres a novel idea perhaps put games by title for a change and not by platform, like I said the other day platforms dont sell games, games sell platforms.

Maybe I should fly on over to utforums and check to see what the complaints are on the PS3 version, or perhaps all the ones in this thread are relating to both versions of the game. When I talk about UT3 I talk about the one I own, the PC version, so perhaps I missed all the complaints about that version as well.

Wasnt there going to be skill matching in ut3? Well all of 2 DM servers here would make it hard to do this even if it is in there. I mentioned UT3 over on GameArena so hopefully they'll atleast get acouple up.

There is something in this majority rules mentality, if someone perhaps see's that cod4 sold alot more on a console they are like "oh wow I'll get it for that one then!" What do you think would happen if it was reversed for a change? Well we probably wont know as long as there is a bias in the industry towards console games.

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
I agreee with the blind purchase theory. Too many UT fans just went out and bought UT3 thinking it was gonna be PERFECT, before even playing the demo. So, if your gonna pre-judge like that, and declace something as gold, when it's really pyrite, then just don't get pissy when the game is incomplete, mundane, and boring. It's to be expected.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Then you must not remember them very well :) If you, or anyone else, thinks UT2004 has had more than 500 players for the past 12 months, you are fooling yourself.

We are writing about different things evidently.

I'm writing about issues in the product itself (bugs, missing features, unwanted features). I thought that you were also writing about that, not about player numbers.

I have made no claim regarding UT2004 player numbers relative to UT3 at this stage in the product lifecycle.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We are writing about different things evidently.

I'm writing about issues in the product itself (bugs, missing features, unwanted features). I thought that you were also writing about that, not about player numbers.

I have made no claim regarding UT2004 player numbers relative to UT3 at this stage in the product lifecycle.
What I'm getting at is that those games were subpar. It doesn't matter what they were like at release.

UT2003 and UT2004 had significant drops in player numbers within the first 6 months, yet they continued to get patches and support from Epic. What do you think Epic is looking at to decide if they continue to support a game?

Also remember that the PC is the only development platform for modding on the consoles. That by itself makes the PC a very important platform for Epic. They are also going to do another MSUC at some point. That again makes the PC a very important platform. Epic is really pushing the console modding ability. If the PC completely fails, then that whole draw for console gamers disappears.

Frankly, if Epic stopped support for UT3 and UT3.5 came out in 13 months, I wouldn't be too upset :p But I know them and I know that even if they are currently working on UT3.5, they are not going to stop support for UT3.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
UT2003 and UT2004 had significant drops in player numbers within the first 6 months, yet they continued to get patches and support from Epic.

Those would be copies that Epic had already sold and so had some cashflow to finance the extended support. In the case of UT3, there does seem to be some doubt as to how many PC copies have been sold.

And to be clear, Epic have (or are about to with the 2nd patch) fixed many of my issues with the retail release. I still think it a disgrace that they released the product in the state that they did.

Also remember that the PC is the only development platform for modding on the consoles. That by itself makes the PC a very important platform for Epic. They are also going to do another MSUC at some point.

I agree. That might also justify some console profit subsidising PC patches. We can but hope.

Frankly, if Epic stopped support for UT3 and UT3.5 came out in 13 months, I wouldn't be too upset :p

I could live with that also. Do a third patch to UT3 and move on. Save the bonus content for UT3.5.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Those would be copies that Epic had already sold and so had some cashflow to finance the extended support. In the case of UT3, there does seem to be some doubt as to how many PC copies have been sold.

And to be clear, Epic have (or are about to with the 2nd patch) fixed many of my issues with the retail release. I still think it a disgrace that they released the product in the state that they did.
I don't think the most avid game supporters would disagree with anyone else that the launch was not good.

Personally, though, I don't think Epic has ever made enough money off of UT (except maybe with the original game) to finance the amount of support they have given it.
I could live with that also. Do a third patch to UT3 and move on. Save the bonus content for UT3.5.
Indeed. I love the gameplay in UT3, but something like that would give them an opportunity to 1) ditch gamespy, and 2) redo the entire UI. Those two issues alone would bring half of the currently upset people back to the game.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site

SirBrizz said:
Indeed. I love the gameplay in UT3, but something like that would give them an opportunity to 1) ditch gamespy, and 2) redo the entire UI. Those two issues alone would bring half of the currently upset people back to the game.

I must differ with both of you there. The UI isn't a problem for me, it's the lack of options. Gamespy I can live with, but I don't really care for the prospect of having to spend 50 dollars for UT3.5 and know that I threw away that same 50 dollars on UT3. Let them fix UT3 and get it up to par and then release the next UT about 4 years from now. That would give ample time to build and release a fully finished product, because UT3 damn sure wasn't a finished product.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's not going to happen. When I said UI I specifically meant the options/functionality of the UI. I don't care about the design.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
This really still kills me when people level accusations that Epic doesn't support their releases or their fans. The amount of free bonus content they have provided with both UT and UT2KX is obscene. It was over a year after initial release that Epic put out their 4th big free bonus content package for UT and continued to patch and support the game long after that.

When you see games released these days with the popularity of a UT, generally, you're paying $30.00 8 months down the road for an official "Expansion" pack and no one blinks an eye. I would say if nothing else, Epic has spoiled it's fanbase so much with the free and continued support that they've turned many of the long term unreal community members into a bunch of whiners. The only thing that ever even approached a purchasable "Expansion" pack was UT2004. And hell, even the though the base of the game was still UT2003, you basically go in essence the the amount of content that would have been included with a new game in a addition to all that came with UT2003.

Another mind-boggler is the complaint even before UT3's release about the minimal content included...40 maps...you see big MP releases routinely coming out with fewer than a dozen maps. Hell, Quake Wars release with 9 maps...and that's pretty much standard.

Yep, with UT3, mistakes were made...it IS unpolished, but all the development time put into this game was put into making damned solid game play and a ton of content. Yep, the UI and everything wrapped around that could have used another few months of development and polish, but ultimately, Epic has committed countless PROFITLESS hours into their games.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Bonus packs are not profitless endeavors in the least. From a business sense doing anything that is purely profitless is suicide. The bonus packs and other forms of support are there mainly to show people that they care about what they do. The goal is to get people to buy and continue to buy their products because they know they'll be buying a product someone actually cares about and will be supported for at least a year. And I'm not just talking about players, but other businesses as well, whether buying the engine or going into some partnership with Epic.

Additionally, much of UT's (all of them) content hasn't been done by Epic's hands at all. I don't know the numbers for UT3 yet, but most of UT2003/4's content was "outsourced" via contracts to well-known mappers and studios. DE had the core gameplay of UT2003 and many of the maps, DE returned to do maps for UT2004, tons of the rest of the levels were contracted out (Hourences did six of them, for instance), and even ONS was designed and implemented by another game studio. UT2004 was hardly Epic's game; it was their engine and they put all the contract stuff together. :p

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
failboat2ux5ac4.jpg

End of Pictorial Review

------------------------------------

Rant

How dare Epic treat it's fans, it's supporters, it's, Quote Bread andButter /unquote like this. First they tell us about all the things that are going to be in the game, game modes etc, well, they weren't in the game, then they give us that abomination they called a 'demo', a 'beta' demo to boot, then they have even more gall, to thrust upon us that half assed, half finished, steaming turd they call a game. It's a travesty, an insult to UT'ers, with the most hideous menu ever created by man, plus all the other problems the game has (no need to mention them, I'm sure y'all well aware of them).

Worst still, they leave you in the dark, they will not respond to any questions on their official forums, they treat their customers like idiots, locking and deleting threads, even genuine threads for no apparent reason other than the author was not kissing Epics ass. People have posted threads about creating anti cheat measures for the game, this is the user creating it, not asking Epic to do it, the threads are closed without warning or reason. Make a negative comment about the game, Epic or Midway, about how there are few players playing, or comment on the sales figures, the thread will be Locked/Deleted, and in some cases you may even get banned for your trouble. It is truly pathetic some of the threads that are being locked and deleted, they are not doing themselves any favours.

It appears that Epic have left the PC gamers behind, in favour of the console gamers, every interview you see, it will be 99.9% about PS3/XBox, just look at the game, it's clearly made with console players/play in mind. They lie point blank to you, apart from the stuff that we were told would be in the game, they come out with quotes like the following, expecting you to swollow them,

"PC is our Bread and Butter" - yeah right, we can see that

"When it's done" - lol, UT3, when it's done, right ;)

"You can have it right now, or you can have it right" - lol, well, we certainly never got it 'right now', with all the delays etc, and we sure as hell never got it 'right', there must be another option to that statement, 'cause the game is a mess, as evidenced by the lack of players, and poor sales.

"There's a lot of cool stuff coming for this game" - Yeah, if we create it ourselves, or own a console maybe, don't forget us PC gamers, you know, your Bread and Butter

and on and on it goes, Mark Rein must be a walking fertilizer factory, every time he opens his mouth, sh!t comes out.

Very Disappointed

UT3 Editor > UT3.

All of the OP's points were quite legitimate complaints, many of which, as he mentioned, Epic has not addressed and has even gone to the lengths of shutting out and refusing to talk to their customer base. You can try to paint it like we're the ones who are out of line here if you want, but as a company that purports to convince us to buy their products, that is simply shoddy.

This is a web forum and it's here for people to express their opinions. There are a lot of negative opinions being expressed about this game for a reason and perhaps a large part of the reason we're so disappointed is because it's obvious that the game had so much potential to be awesome. If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend like everything is ok and we should all just imagine that the game will be a great success someday, go right ahead I guess.

Yes, the complaints threads are getting a little old, but the whiny backlash against legitimate complaints is just as tiresome.

Post-Mortem from a Player's Point of View:

The issue with UT3's playerbase is a combination of several factors.

First, UT3's gameplay has relatively stayed the same despite some pretty significant changes to the PC gaming scene over the years. Some examples of this are the numerous weapons and speed. For better or for worse, the hardcore PC gamers are spread out over several titles now instead of the usual 3 (Quake, Half Life, UT). You have Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Quake, Battlefield, Crysis, Rocket Arena, Call of Duty, and other countless mods.

The games have simplified from a control, speed, aim perspective and moved to a much more team, strategy, timing-oriented gameplay. UT3 hasn't done a good job of making this transition. Any game that ships with 9 or 10 weapons, alt fire for all those weapons, even more complicated weapon firing modes for some of them (rocket launcher), a translocator, a hoverboard, etc.... its just begging to not be embraced by the majority of the "dumbed down" gaming playerbase right now.

Secondly, if you look at some other things about UT3, there are a few things that are really cool, but I don't think they add that much to the game for their overall time/money investment (from the point of view of a UT modder).

Some of the vehicles.
Hoverboard.
Customizable characters.

While all 3 of these things are really cool, they are also very complicated from a development standpoint and don't add that much to the value of the gameplay. Some of the vechiles in UT3 are just simply amazing technically, graphically, and conceptually. But, do they add that much to a game that doesn't do so many other basic things correct in the first place? They are awesome, but there isn't anyone around to appreciate them. I think they would have been much better off with the old way of just having a few different models and 100 different skins, textures, etc. Where are the maps? Where are the gametypes?

Finally, you have the technical issues which are a huge deal, in my opinion. 1) Lack of a linux support at launch (especially big deal for servers). 2) 0 percent mod support - you can't even MAKE a mod for UT3 yet... it doesn't support it. Not at all! For a game which has historically been carried by the mod community, this is a big BIG deal. 3) Horrible interface, game finder, stat tracking, etc.

I recently watched a dev diary from one of the guys at Epic... who said something about the "theory of thirds" where he talked about development with the idea that:

1) You keep 1/3rd of things the same that are the core of your game.
2) You introduce 1/3rd of things that are brand new.
3) You improve or tweak 1/3rd of the things that were already there.

It just seems to me that Epic got this all wrong and really wasn't in touch with its player/fanbase.

Things kept the same?
The weapons, primarily. But, given the evolution of PC gaming.... and looking at where the trends are going, why do this?

Things improved upon?
The movement? Maybe. But again, the feel, speed, and movement goes back to a more "hardcore" playerbase... probably not the best idea.

Things new?
A new gametype... but at the expense of other very popular gametypes. Customizable characters, but at the price of the 100s of textures and skins players are use to. The hoverboard. Some vehicles. Are these things worth the things lost or not done correctly?

My suggestions for Epic moving forward?

1) Get rid of the ego and realize that UT has had a good run. That being said, maybe its time to evolve UT as well.

2) Slim down the weapons. Come to terms with what is important weapon-wise, and cut the ones that aren't necessarily vital to UT's success or popularity.

3) Epic pioneered the modding scene and to have the lack of modding support thus far just isn't acceptable to me, imo. Of course, if their game was more popular, this probably wouldn't be an issue this early after release. Its just sad that more people are buying the game to mod with than play with... and the mod support isn't there that should be.

4) Keep the old gametypes that are popular, but start introducing new gametypes that are more in line with the current generation of gamers.

5) Before you introduce new things like hoverboards and customizable characters, be sure you take care of the things your fanbase has come to expect and love - levels and skins.

In the end... the UT universe needs a makeover. It needs to embrace the new generation of PC gamers (what is left of them). In my opinion, it feels like Epic made UT3 a "transition to console gaming" game.

I love the fact that UT3(PC) is a complete and utter failure as far as commercial success and player numbers go. It is getting what it, and Epic deserves, maybe they can learn something from this, and won't repeat it in the future, however I don't think they will learn, they don't seem to have learned a thing from the UT2003 debacle. They have just become to arrogant, thinking that their sh!t doesn't stink, well Epic, I can assure you, it does stink, and UT3 smells to high heaven. Pull your heads out of your arse's, stop being so arrogant, stop taking your fans, your supporters, your Bread and Butter for granted, stop treating them so badly, and maybe they will return the favor, listen to them and help them instead of ignoring them.

Failure - this is what I love the most about UT3, it may benifit us all in the future.

:p
ControlerTesting.jpg

To me it feels like UT3 was designed for consoles and then made to run on PC's.

Mostly people get banned because that little Nazi, War Tourist, gets a wild hair up his A$$. Almost any post that is not some FANatic gushing about the glorious Epic accomplishments is a target.

Many of my mixed feelings are right here so no need to repeat what has been said.

Overall I can look beyond (plug ;) ) my problems with Epic,their professionalism,and what they have turned UT into.It's not all bad right now.

I guess my biggest fear is that a game that many of us have played,promoted,and loved for many,many years will just fade out on pc.I have always truly believed after playing many,many shooters over the years,that nothing compared to UT's fast and furious bloodbath style.I for one refuse to ever touch a d-pad again.Slow,Clunky,and awkward,for me anyway.

Now I have no problem with UT3 having slower everything for consoles.Whatever it takes to make that platform happy is great.However for Epic to force all of the things that suck the life right out of the game onto the pc crew is frustrating to say the least.

Wrapping it up-

The two thoughts that keep resurfacing for me are:

1.Epic seems to be shooting themselves in the foot with the pc community.It upsets me personally a lil' bit,but what really pisses me off is seeing them squander the opportunity to "make the game something big" hurting us all in the long run.

2.If UT ever ends on the pc then I feel as though gaming will never be the same for many us.There IS NO COMPARABLE fps and 3 pages of essay will ever be able to make me think any different.

I play the game to laugh,be challenged,and try to get some team chemistry clicking and after years of testing the waters I still shake my head at what the majority are playing.It just seems to me that the mainstream wants something they can learn in a day and get good at in a month.If a game is truly fun,then you will stay,laugh,pay your dues,and not mind about getting your ass handed to you,even if it's for the first 3 to 6 months.

Only time will tell,but I've laid down my torch and pitchfork long ago because Epic has shown me that they will do whatever they want their game and boards,even if it means hurting themselves in the process.

Sadpanda and AMCCulley nailed it for me and the pic was amusing,then it became scary seconds later.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't know why everyone says Epic doesn't allow complaining on their forums.

This thread in particular has lots of "complaining" in it, but as I've said a million times before on here, presentation is everything. Nobody that stays around on Epic's forums makes pointless jabs like "Now I'm using my UT3 DVD as a coaster...". It makes you look like an idiot, and will get you banned.