Official UT3 complaint thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 now or waited?

• Glad it is out now, i cant wait.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • Wish they would have waited.

Votes: 85 61.6%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 24 17.4%

• Total voters

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
UT3 is a complete failure, and will remain so, sorry. Even if they fix all the bugs. Another prime example of ppl not learning from their mistakes.(ut2k3). It was not as bad as ppl say. Online numbers in classic modes were on par with ut2k4. What made ut2k4 popular was Onslaught. Ie fresh and new gametype in times of fierce competition. This isnt 1998 anymore. UT3 failed to deliver something original, like TF2. Thus it will fail. Epic can fix the UI and such things, but the game will still not gain much more popularity, because ppl playing Deathmatch/teams in other games will not see any reason to change.

Back to the roots is good and nice, but you have to have a large user base for that. See how CS with 150K online popularity evolved into CS(100K)+CSS(50K).

The only way to rescue the game now would be to excel, if not in gametype uniqueness, but in game polishing and user friendliness. And this does not mean just fixing stuff, but fully rewriting many things. Seeing the current state of the game, and stubbornness Epic showed in fixing that,(hey we do not even have UTV, again) i dont see it ever happens.

They can add something in UT4, but this will not save UT3.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Seriously compared to UT2004 the maps are far better. A lot of the maps in UT2004 really sucked gameplay wise. One of the few good ones was DM-Rankin. UT3 is very strong gameplay wise. And about the gameplay being geared towards consoles I really don't know where your getting this info from.... UT3 was designed for both consoles and PC's

Yeah I think alot of people are confusing "dumbed down" with "consolization" which arnt exactly the same thing. From the beginning we knew UT2007 was coming to PS3 and PC, after that it was the 360 announcement, now at this point I felt the need to step up and say something.

Yet, I was assured by people and even Epic themselves things would be fine and we would still get a great game. Which we did, but my concerns voiced or not didnt change a thing (not that I expected anything) when I look back now though I wonder that if the person working on the UI for UT3 had looked at my posts (some of which were lost in the great war of the forums RIP 2007).

Anyways my point is that if this person/people had perhaps taken some notes on what I was saying about PC gaming then they would have realized a PC game is just as much about the interface as it is about the gameplay. So while I love everything after hitting fire to enter the arena (yes tourney remember) I just feel sad that my worries were shrugged off, especially at a point where something could have been done to fix things.

This reminds me of an interview, was it mark rein or jeff morris, yeah well someone used a quote about Epic knowing how to make good PC games. Sure Epic can make brilliant games and I'll pit their gameplay against the gameplay of any other company, but the game doesnt start or end with the gameplay it starts and ends in the interface so perhaps thats why its the first thing on peoples minds when they complain about UT3.

Its not all bad as I have been saying and the new menu music is great but when you are rushing through the interface to get it out of your face as quickly as possible you dont stop to enjoy it.

Well thats enough beating of that horse, I just had to have my say on the matter and how I think Epic totally neglected people who havent been banned from the official forums. It would have been nice to think that Epic actually listened you know, I dont expect them to but when they respond on more than one occasion to let you know your concerns are unwarranted... I mean can you blame me for feeling shrugged off.

Now onto acouple of things I love about the game before I break it down on some of the gameplay stuff I dont like, not bugs but actual direction the gameplay went, no not features omitted like dodge jump either. That horse is covered with maggots and is half eaten :lol:

The art direction is brilliant as BBurkart mentioned and I'll definately have to agree on the maps side of things. Original content is where UT3 was at so for all of you who think they could have come up with all that in acouple of months you better recheck your thinking. 2k4 relied heavily on content from another UT title, specifically 2k3, Ive said it before but 2k4 to me was a mess of two games and I fell on a whole UC2 and also UT3 provide a more cohesive experience.

Im happy with my purchase though and I would have bought it even if there was 0 people playing it online, if its a niche its my niche and I'll stay here forever. Call me crazy but Im not going to change what I like just because my friends happen to like playing all that wargame stuff I get bored of. Fast paced in your face action is what I like and Epic delivered!

Then I look at the vehicle game types and think, you know I do kinda like 2k4's vehicles better. Then Im thinking why? I certainly like the new look and the necris vehicle set but its not about looks, perhaps this is one area I feel Epic went too arcade and dumbed things down. I can hear the screams of "consolized for PC" already, but thats not it, vehicles can be controlled better on gamepads for the most part so making the vehicles simplified isnt because of that.

I'll go alittle off track for a second and say that Ive spoken to new players to UT3 who didnt spend alot of time in 2k4 and only played alittle UT. You know what they said? UT3 has alot of depth, I tend to agree especially for people who havent been around in the UT scene, vehicles with alt firemodes and the addition of the hoverboard.

So what is it about the vehicles, for me its the auto-brakes and this cruddy anti-roll assist system which makes the vehicles float like leaves in the wind when they are in the air (Talking more about the land vehicles here) and the lackluster weaponry for a few of the necris vehicles. So while there might be alot of depth there its overshadowed alittle by these vehicles which a 2 year old can drive. OMG reminds me of the raptor damage when you crash into something, you can fly that thing with your eyes shut and still not die unless you get shot down :lol:

Okay now that said the interface could be refered to as "consolized" in my eyes but the vehicles certainly are "dumbed down", I just cant seem to place the blame on the consoles for that one. It seems it has more to do with the gameplay direction Epic took with the vehicles and is the only major problem over the interface (which I can put up with btw) I have with the game.

I still play warfare and vctf though, warfare I actually really enjoy despite the problems I have with the vehicles. Perhaps some people just see an easy target and aim at Epic when really they should be busy talking about the problems with COD4 over at those forums. If UT3 had 30k players Im sure we could spare 1k of those to go around trolling other games forums to try and stop people buying the game. From what Ive seen the people true to Unreal and the franchise stick with it no matter what, I disliked 2k4 but I still played it and I still modded for it even after source came out.

I just have no illusions about games these days and can see things for what they really are, Im not gonna bull**** you guys because Im sure most of you can see right past that. Infact the games industry is going the way of the movie biz, spiderman one did how well at the box office, then we look at spiderman 3 vs halo 3 which one did better? Well I heard Halo 3 sold better than a movie, yups you got that right.

Then again its all about this "quality drama" on TV these days isnt it? Its all about risk and I think Epic took one with UT3, perhaps it didnt pay off like Gears but hell atleast they tried, I wish more studios could be so bold instead of sticking with whats pop. Multiplayer, Singleplayer and Cooperative gameplay all in one title! Need I say more? Well I can, Gears did that right? Wheres the AI in Multiplayer... Non existant perhaps but lets also not forget that Gears is also an Epic game along with the other greats such as Unreal.

I could go on but I think some of you might want to check what you say and if you dont know what you are on about then just dont say anything, it really doesnt help things for those of us who want to say something that we feel is of actual importance. This is probably the main reason my concerns were shrugged off in the first place, then again Im not gonna blame anyone Im just here to make some of you think about a few things.

Im not done yet either, being a modder as well I have got into the Unrealed and UScript. The new editor is brilliant and the support materials which come with the CE, I mean these two things alone are worth the price I paid without getting a free game ;) but nups I get a free game and free mods. I'll just take alittle time to thank everyone who has done some modding for UT3 and supports it.

I do have some issues here though which go back to the interface, also the interface editor in unrealed. I wont go into much detail but lets just say there is some really akward stuff to work around or features which are missing which I would have loved to have access to. That though isnt a huge issue and I can see why Epic does things a certain way, not only do they provide middleware they provide games as well so Im willing to stick by them for the most part with some of those descisions. If I had full engine access this certainly wouldnt be an issue for me and since Im not selling anything if I cant do something or I have to work around something thats just part of it. Perhaps I would consider if its worth my time more carefully and even further realize, that hard descisions like this is what Epic does every day.

Thank you.

P.S Trying to make up for a year worth of lost rants :lol:

One last thing I forgot on the topic of support... Dont any of you guys take holidays over christmas? Hell I know its summer over here and everyone parties, Im gonna cut Epic some slack on this till well about now :)

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
UT3 testing session

And about the gameplay being geared towards consoles I really don't know where your getting this info from.... UT3 was designed for both consoles and PC's

:p
ControlerTesting.jpg

To me it feels like UT3 was designed for consoles and then made to run on PC's.

Sil

Aug 30, 2004
*Remote whining*

As much as UT2k4 was a combination of 2 games or not, it imo is a better game than UT3 because it done things right. Comparing metacritic scores, UT2k4 beats UT3 hands down. UT2k4 did many things right with the UI. Doesn't make sense why would Epic backtrack on what was right to what is wrong for UT3. You don't try to fix what isn't broken.

If Epic kept UT2k4's style of gameplay, amount of content and UI with UT3's graphics and new content, I would love the game to no end.

I prefer dodge jump and how the maps were scaled before and still do after playing UT3 more and more each day. I think UT3 is a good game just it pales in comparison to what UT2k4 achieved.

Again... its been said before but the game wasn't ready when it was launched. Large patches like these are a good example of how much the game was unfinished. Epic wore a quad lens blinders on their eyes during the beta demo and now paying dearly for it with the core community up in rampage.

*end remote rant*

NubBlubber

Jan 29, 2008
i tried to read this thread most of you are on crack it doesnt make sense at all quit reading after a few pages

ut3 feels like a game that should have come out years ago and someone found on a old disk and updated the graphics and added some vehicles.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
To me it feels like UT3 was designed for consoles and then made to run on PC's.
I agree. And I'm not even referencing the UI. It seems to me that at every design decision they went with what would work best in a console environment without f**king up things for the PC. The proper way to handle that, given that we are supposedly their "bread and butter" is to design everything for the PC and then change the result to fit console play. It doesn't feel like the latter is what happened.

WorldInfo is where TimeDilation is set. If it were true that UT3 is designed for PCs, then it would run at 100% time dilation on PCs, because that's real time. Consoles would then have the dilation toned down to 90% or so. However, in UTGame we find...

Code:
function SetGameSpeed( Float T )
{
  UTTimeDilation = bConsoleServer ? 1.0 : 1.1;
}

...which says, "If the game is running on a console, set the time dilation to 1.0 (100%), otherwise set it to 1.1 (110%)." That means 100% time dilation was designed for consoles and that it is artificially sped up for PC play!

UT3 is officially a console game!

Unfortunately, I believe both UT2003/4 run at 110% as well, so I guess you could say they were originally designed for console as well. I suppose that makes sense because UT2003 did start out a console game... But that only supports my theory since, with a new engine, UT3 had no real reason to inherit that 110% dilation...

Oh, the horror!

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
UT3 is not entirely crap. It has some pretty amazing art in it
ok
A big reason I think people hate UT3 so much is that they have been expecting too much out of the game
yes, expecting webadmin or favorites was too much.

If you think Epic is full of a bunch of people who don't know wtf they are doing I'd like to see you come up with something better.
Or, i could go and buy another, better, product. Thats what money are for, so i dont have to do it myself. Which most ppl did.

Gryph

trap
Nov 29, 2004
not mold factory
rarrgghh scorpion rarrrggg nemesis raaaagh bots raaaaargh UT3

Me, I think it (PC UT3, at least) just could've spent a few more months in the oven. You know, what with the 'UT3_RC7' disc title and the patch being released... what, a week after retail release of the game? Not good.

And why do people put FPSes on consoles I still don't get it.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
ok

yes, expecting webadmin or favorites was too much.

Or, i could go and buy another, better, product. Thats what money are for, so i dont have to do it myself. Which most ppl did.

A lot of those features are coming in with the next new patch. Just give it time. A lot of the people who are complaining about these small things likely weren't around for UT2k3 when it came out, or even UT1 as they both had a large ammount of issues. Epic has always been good at attending to these issues so don't worry about them. I do agree however that they should have waited perhaps a month or two more even though I recall how much crying there was before the game was released that they should just hurry up and release it. After the game gets released everyone starts crying saying they should have waited....

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
I wished it would have been released last year, or since it was released seemingly much later, at least had some nice post effects, have it be very tweakable like UT2k4, HL2:, and other PC games.

I feel like the game overall has been "simplified" and not in a good way.

Unreal Engine 4 = can't wait to see it. :)

Last edited:

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
A lot of those features are coming in with the next new patch. Just give it time. A lot of the people who are complaining about these small things likely weren't around for UT2k3 when it came out, or even UT1 as they both had a large ammount of issues. Epic has always been good at attending to these issues so don't worry about them. I do agree however that they should have waited perhaps a month or two more even though I recall how much crying there was before the game was released that they should just hurry up and release it. After the game gets released everyone starts crying saying they should have waited....

The mentality that a game will be "getting it in the next patch so wait" is bull ****. You pay for a completed product. You should get a completed product. What would these companies do with out the internet? They would die in a fire because they don't know how to release a finished product.

I played UT99 for a long time without ever updating it. I get pissed off and barely play UT3 after a month.

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
BBurkart
Like said, even if they fix everything, the targeted audience already plays other games and there is little reason for them to come back. As for the competitive game... lets be honest, even if Epic wished(and the example of ut/2k3/2k4 shows they do not) it will it take them a year or two to implement UTV/anticheat/other things and for the average Joe to actually possess hardware necessary for cups. Thats 2 years. Who cares by then.

At best they will get me and other whiners. But we do not make the picture, casual players do.

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
But HEY. You ppl think Epic feels sorry? no way. Thats what they say:

Mike Capps said:
"It killed us to make Unreal Tournament 3 cross-platform, but Epic had to do it," adding "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works." Epic is currently developing Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in-house.
Now we know the real issue. We, players, are guilty in low online numbers. It is very easy to pirate UT3, because it requires a CD key to play online. :rolleyes: Mark Rein eated his brain.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Hmmz there was a time I used to get all my patches off of demo disks, sure I might have had the internet but 56k was slow as so it was easier just to spend my $10 a month and get a gaming mag.

Sure I'll agree that companies should do their very best to release products in the best possible state. Perhaps if reviewers wernt all wow'd by graphics then games like farcry would have got a true rating based on what a buggy piece of **** it was at release. Reminds of the original Sin game which got hammered because of all the bugs (despite having good graphics), I think it rated in the high 80%'s in my local game mag yet with the release of the expansion the game became alot more stable and long standing issues were fixed. Ofcoarse it still wasnt a perfect game but hey what game is?

Its obvious though with the name change Epic didnt think they were gonna make the 2007 release, so they covered their bases and called it UT3 instead. We got the game in 2007 though so Im happy I got to play it sooner but I never once said Epic should get it out the door ASAP because I want to play it now.

Also Im gonna go alittle off track and mention Gears and from what Ive heard thats also got bugs and stuff, which I found wierd because dont live games, PC or Xbox, have to pass certification? Where Im sure with UT3 theres was less of this on the PC version vs PS3 or 360.

Alot of people do seem to think Midway is behind the rushed release so perhaps its also MS who was pushing for Gears on PC to help their sliding Live system on Windows. Hopefully this will make publishers aware that its not good to force products out, if this is the case, and that players wont sit back and be quiet on the matter if they feel they could have recieved something better.

Has anyone mentioned the visual popping and artifacts of DM-Arsenal yet?

Last edited: