Netcode.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
felched&milky

p.s. this not is complete paranoia, it's actually meant to be open to *discussion* about what people might think they'll see in the next iteration of the UT series.

Then moaners and whiners came along.

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
TBH I never saw anything like it in Q1, but then again if you got hit by a rocket there was usually another one closely following behind it and if you didn't have armour it was instant kill anyway.

God I loved that game :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
edhe said:
felched&milky

p.s. this not is complete paranoia, it's actually meant to be open to *discussion* about what people might think they'll see in the next iteration of the UT series.

Then moaners and whiners came along.
It is inevitable.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Of course, wouldn't be forums without stupid kids that think they know everything and are egotistitical enough to post it the way they see it instead of the way it is.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
[Apoc]Discord said:
Short version: it moves your shot back in time (serverside) by the amount of your ping. The upshot, apparently, is that it makes it easier to hit and harder to dodge.

Well, if they make the move to minimal hit-scan, that the concept of "easier to hit, and harder to dodge" is kinda silly. It would slightly defeat the purpose, if they make a bunch of projectile weapons, that would include occasions where "you can't see them coming".

Epic hasn't done anything like client side prediction in the past, because of how it would effect weapon balance, and I'm sure also because of the dodge. A quick concise move, that can't be predicted.

Honestly, I don't know why this discussion is so heated. I could feel a 10ms difference when playing UT. Now, if I'm sub50, if feels like lan, and I play at 10ms pings frequently. I think net play in this game feels as good or better then any other game I've every played.

Internet routing will dictate where we play, probably forever, or until encryption is so crazy we can safely shoot information through the sky, and bounce it off low obriting satelites, and me and edhe can compete in the same competative ladder.

And what about improoving hardware? Broad band connetions are rampant, and competative, giving constant upgrades to service lately. There are company's in america, ISP's with gaming packages that garuntee their bandwidth. I think if Epic simply sticks too what they are doing, and make their realistic adjustments to it, everything will be fine.

Mostly though, I think jafo is talking the most sense. If you don't want false positives, then epic needs to patch physics (and I don't mean in game).

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
-AEnubis- said:
And what about improoving hardware?

Hehe, people are going to think this is all I talk about. But anyway...

Chick this sh!t out.

It's currently in test marketing, and those markets expanded recently. Another couple of years and cable will be all but done for, or so it seems from here. IIRC part of the motivation behind it is vastly expanded on- demand television.

Assuming it does well and gets decent market saturation (and why not? If it was available here I'd have subscribed yesterday), the impact on online gaming will no doubt be beyond substantial.

I think net play in this game feels as good or better then any other game I've every played.

Yeah, it's quite nice as long as you don't try to extend your ping range too far. Every so often I feel like getting crazy and hitting the European servers, and IMO UT2k4 doesn't play nearly as well with ping @ 250 as UT did. Naturally, though... UT was built for dial- up. The crazed movement may also factor into that, but there it is.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
And what about improoving hardware?
That's not going to solve the problem. At best it will move the problem to another area/gametype.
Why ?

Sure you extend the range of the average user, but considering the fact that the number of servers / game get more scarce as new games are released it's most gamers are going to need such a high-speed connection just to find a server at all.

Also consider the fact that p2p-servers have become popular. That kind of stuff is eating our precious bandwidth as well. And the next 'hot' item that's going to steal 'our' bandwidth are the services such as Skype aka VoIP telephone-services.
Internet-based games are facing ever more competitors for bandwidth that hasn't been improved all this time ...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The network will grow to accomodate it. Another thing I've noticed in playing this game is routing has gotten tons better since the UT Days. Even now playing UT, my "playable ping range" has increased. I can play sub 50 in the entire eastern united states, if server specs provide.

Hardware will be the main cause for how much more playable any game is on the internet. The software is then written in for said hardware, and is limited by said hardware.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
justt make the damn code as fast and ,eficcient and smooth as possible,
Epic have been at it for 10 years now,it's a multiplayer focused game, netcode should be the top priorty, make Envy accessable to all.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Code > Code

gregori said:
justt make the damn code as fast and ,eficcient and smooth as possible,
Epic have been at it for 10 years now,it's a multiplayer focused game, netcode should be the top priorty, make Envy accessable to all.

In my opinion, work on netcode should take precedence over any and all work on AI. Despite the "bot-lobby", it's a multiplayer game first and formost. Great AI is fine, but netplay comes first.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
pff ... best network-code in the world can't fix packetloss and crappy connections.
Better fix the AI so people without decent internet can still enjoy multiplayer-games without having to run 2-player servers ...

And lets not forget the joys of co-op games in UT.

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
I hope they put better netcode. The flak ball doing no damage is annoying, some weapon shooting through floor (mostly hitscan) is stupid. And the worse from this is to be good with hitscans, you must have like 24 ping no more... I can't play over 66. Only with hitscan, if a target is moving sideway and you shoot when the target is in the middle of your crosshair, you won't hit him... its really gay, it make me suck with those hitscan guns, else if it would hit when its suppose to hit, I would own a lot more with them.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Or you could adjust to the ping like the good players and lead your targets. by (OMG! 66 ms!)

If i can compensate for 100+ then you can compensate for something near reaction time. Fact is that latency is part of the game, like reload time or splash damage. Something you can either be victimised by or learn and master and use to your advantage.

/me remembers a 300+ping IG kill on an FC dodging down from on top Citadel, mid air kill \o/

i would like to see netcode enable for envy, this would be much fairer on people who cant get adsl, or cannot afford it (for whatever reason)

currently i am on 28.8k dialup, and trust me, its hard, i only go on good servers which half my ping to about 180. still while i am a challenge, its probably not a hard one

however, on my clans server, netcode is enabled, and i can beat players, i would never have had a chance to beat.

to put it simple: netcode does not change ure skill in actuall play, but enables good players that do not have adsl, to be able to play, as (much as possible) they normally can..

bulletlag=crap

however, this will not affect me for envy, as by end of july i will have adsl..but still, its good to see epic thinking about the disadvantaged

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
I think you've brought up another decent point - a fair few newstart gamers could be on dialup, and that kind of netcode could help them appreciate the game better, attract more players.