Melee weapon?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
You could deflect almost any projectile with the IH, but could only move it a small angle from where it was already traveling. You could actually turn the path of a redeemer about 30°, but it wasn't really useful, unless it was shot down at a slight angle to you, then you got under it, and deflected it up, so it maybe traveled parralell to the ground, then not detonating near you. It was more practical just to shoot it, which in that game was loads easier to do.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Shark if yer gonna go 40k on us.. at least do it right. ;)

THUNDER HAMMER!
thunder_hammer.jpg

For those of you not into 40k, it's a huge hammer with a force field generator in it that keeps a charge in "check" until it strikes something. It is then released with enough impact it sounds like... well.. thunder. Imagine if you will a sledgehammer you could crack a tank in two with... with one hand. :D

Or you could always go the college fanboi route.
7056D-TN.jpg

THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Is it a coincidence that a large part of the suggested weapons originate from UT99's Unreal4Ever arsenal?

Chainsaw with spin ability=Hellsaw
Light sabre=Lightsword (yes, with a 'teh force jump')
There was a "Thor's hammer" as well, but forgot how it was called...
...And the Katana sword, as NeoNite suggested

All were awesome melee weapons, if you ask me.
\me suddenly remembers that I have UT99 installed :)

Last edited:

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
I know it wasn't mjlnor, it was two words, posibly hypenated. Like Sajuk-Kor, but that's obviously not it.

Mulch_D

Noxious Weed
Mar 9, 2003
Melborne, Australia.
mulchd.net
My idea for a melee weapon

Here's my idea for a melee weapon (beware long post, summarized version at bottom):
It's alot like the UT ripper but the blade never leaves the weapon because it's attached to the gun, it just sits at the back doing nothing by defult. It can do no damage while the blade is at the back.
Primary fire: sends the circular saw blade (or whatever) to the front hold it down and it stays there. If pointed at a surface when this is done the propeled a little with little or no damage taken. About 50 or so damage is delt if an oppent is hit by the blade as it come falward (knowen as impact), and about 15 if they just get hit by it while it's out the front.
Secondary fire: Spins the blade, regadless of the blades position it starts spinning and making a noise. but this slowly wears down the energy and can only be held for about 20 secons straight without needing to recharge. This gets faster the longer it is held down. A spinning blade will inflict 200 damage when spinning at max speed and you get hit at impact, it will deal 90 if they just get hit by it spinning at max speed out the front. If you do a jump with it while it is spinning you can get some cool effects, being shot off in the dirrection the spinning would send you, hard to predict but gets you some great speed, this inflicts about 25 damage to the jumper.
If it is spinning for long enough (about 4 seconds) the electrons start to shift to the edge and it becomes polarized (Note: I don't properly know if this works in real life, but I don't care), you can tell this has happened cause blue sparks come off. If the blade is out the front while polarized it will slightly alter the cause of some projectiles.
Combo jump move: If the player gets the blade polarized at the back of the gun then is stoped spinning just befor the player send it to the front (1 second or less) the polerization still remains and apon impact it will project the player great hieghts (or if used on another player it will send them quite far). If doing an impact jump like this about 20 damage is infliceted.

Summarized version
  • Looks like UT ripper
  • Uses saw blades like the ripper but doesn't fire them
  • Primary fire sends them at high speed to the front
  • Alt Fire spins the blades
  • If spinning for long enough become polirized and slightly alter the cause of some projectiles.
  • Has a combo can be used to jump or fire around other players.
So what do you guys think?

Edit: for those who don't know this is the ripper:
ripper.jpg

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Mulch_D said:
So what do you guys think?
It took a while to understand just how it worked, but it sounds pretty cool and balanced in the game as well...
-possibility to recreate some sort of dodgejump-like maneuver shall be needed in onslaught to compensate for nerfed movement (which is going to happen, 'cause ut200x is 'too bouncy')
-regular shieldjumps are also possible
-the back and forth positions make for some fun close ripper vs ripper combat (back deals more damage, but forth is easier to hit the target)
-sneak attacks with the melee weapon (though it doesn't deal as much damage)
-redirection/deflection of projectiles a la UT99 is a good replacement of the shield (IMO it was waaaaaay too hard to deflect anything with the impact hammer's alt fire).

If I have to vote for any suggested melee weapon here, it will be yours :)

Mulch_D

Noxious Weed
Mar 9, 2003
Melborne, Australia.
mulchd.net
Taleweaver said:
-the back and forth positions make for some fun close ripper vs ripper combat (back deals more damage, but forth is easier to hit the target)
Wait I don't think I made it clear, no damage can be done while the blade is at the back, but if you hit someone when the blade hits the front (the moment I have named impact) then the damage is much higher (because not only are they being cut they're also having the equivelent of an impact hammer hit). I will edit my above post explainning this.
Taleweaver said:
If I have to vote for any suggested melee weapon here, it will be yours :)
Thanks, much appriecated. Now we need to pitch the idea to Epic ;)
BooGiTyBoY said:
Sounds cool but also sounds just like Quake3's gauntlet weapon, which I don't think would fly too well with Epic. ;)
I have never played Quake 3 so I had no idea.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Taleweaver said:
Is it a coincidence that a large part of the suggested weapons originate from UT99's Unreal4Ever arsenal?

Chainsaw with spin ability=Hellsaw
Light sabre=Lightsword (yes, with a 'teh force jump')
There was a "Thor's hammer" as well, but forgot how it was called...
...And the Katana sword, as NeoNite suggested

All were awesome melee weapons, if you ask me.
\me suddenly remembers that I have UT99 installed :)

The Ut bots are quite adept at using the chainsaw though.
Beware. Especially in teamgames.

They're not bad either when they have that hammer selected.

As for the katana, they're quite fond of using secondary fire and if they do so, they hardly miss ;O)
Just be quick, jump around. Ok, you move a bit faster and there's more aircontrol but once you master the katana movement you can pwn the AI seriously.