1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Melee weapon?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by el Gato, Mar 31, 2005.

1. el Gato

el Gato Has-Been

UT had the Impact Hammer. UT2k3/4 had the shield gun.

What will 'envy' have (if anything)?

2. BadAss84

BadAss84 BadAss[zero]

Hm i think they will go back to the IH tbh, or at least an upgraded version or something, would please more UT99 fans and thats all epic seems to want atm :p

3. B

B Bee

The hammer was allready upgraded to the shieldgun and it sucks. I say bring back the old Hammer, especially since they want to focus on combat and not hide and seek, the Hammer would be a nice choise.

4. m&ms

m&ms Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.

Neither. A nice metal pogo stick would obviously be the best choice. Not only is it good for clubbing people and making trickjumpers happy, but imagine gettings some good height with it and squishing down on someone's head. I'd love to hear a nice "boingy boingy boingy SPLAT." :lol:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  5. BadAss84

BadAss84 BadAss[zero]

lol :lol:

Nice idea :p

6. ToBiaS1988

ToBiaS1988 New Member

I think they realy have to come out with a new idea both weapons never were an alternative

7. WinkyBoy

WinkyBoy Seriously.

Either that, or they could just put BOTH in the game, and let it be a server-configurable option when starting the game: ImpactHammer or Shieldgun. Your choice. (I think they would be wise to make more things user-customizable in GENERAL)

8. ThirtySixBelow

ThirtySixBelow tactical inaccuracy

I hope they don't get rid of the shield gun, that would be a bad move considering they got rid of the LG so all the hitscan will be moved to the shock rifle. The sheild gun is very good defence against the SR. This will only help balance the game a little more being able to defend against the only "good" hitscan weapon. They can then make the sniper rifle bullets penetrate the shield so you can still hit people that are far away, thereby turning a sniper rifle into a ... sniper... rifle.

9. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Defending shouldn't mean running away, and I hope that's the direction they're taking the next game: Less running away for defense, more gibbing your opponent in defense. I'm hoping there's no shield, but there definitely needs to be some sort of impact device for when you run out of ammo or you need to make a last-second jump to cap a flag. The shield is good in UT2004 because there's no balance against someone good at hitscan, but that doesn't mean it's going to be useful in UT3. I can already see the maps being a lot less huge in terms of line-of-sight due to the predicted nerfed dodge-jump, so it probably won't be so unbalanced anymore. You might actually be able to kill someone with rockets while he's at a decent distance with the shock rifle. Shock and awe!

10. el Gato

el Gato Has-Been

With the ImpactHammer/ShieldGun:

1) Great fun getting a kill with it
    2) Hearing a loaded IH made me run away like a little baby :p

There has to be something for those out-of-ammo moments.

11. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

Yeah, the SG won't be needed. If when they nerf movment, they will have to drop the walking speed. This means many aspects of shock will change, prolly to the way there were in UT to balance. Since it most likely won't have any other "hit-scan competition", then it's realative ROF will no longer be the determining factor in how fast it shoots. Hence, it will shoot slowere, like in UT.

Personally, I loved the impact hammer, and would like to see either one of two things, happen, both of which include having the normal IH primary fire, which was charged, so you could gague damage/height for jumps, and have an automatically discharging melee attack. Secondary fire idea A: A full charge in a button tap. Quick max height jumps, or use of the IH damage during an IH jump (when your out of ammo, and wanna take out the sniper on the ledge above you). At current you can "knock them off", but that is about it. Secondary fire idea B: A modification of the original, except more useful. You could alter the path of projectiles thown at you, but only really slight them about 30° or so. Nothing like current SG where you could hold it down, but something maybe that deflect it with a well timed button press, and in the direction you aim it.

Personally, I like the first Idea better.

12. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

I fully endorse the pogo-stick idea.

13. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

IH > SG

I'd prefer the Impact Hammer over the crappy, boring, lame Shieldgun any day of the week.

14. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Impact Hammer > j00.

15. 1337

1337 1337

I say we let the creative game designers make entirely different melee weapon.

16. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

As long as I can wall-climb with it, I don't really care what it is. :p

17. Xaero

Xaero Who Dey!

How about a Batman-esque grapling hook boomerang device?

18. iron12

iron12 New Member

In UT99 the impacthammer could be used to shot your translocator disk across the map which was pretty cool.

They are bringing the enforcers back, I think it would be cool if they brought the impacthammer, ripper, and chainsaw back to.

19. CyMek

CyMek Dead but not gone.

Woot! Chainsaw 4tw!!

RRRRRR!!

20. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

You can have your impact-hammer if and only if I get my Ripper (or whatever it is going to be called this time ;))

Hey ... why not turn the ripper into the next-gen melee-weapon ? *grrrrrrrrr* *splatter* :D