[lolitics]Your thoughts on offshore drilling after this mess.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
So that it's clear: if there's no problem with Corexit, and if the videos are fake or deceiving, I'm glad to be wrong

Now, please, let's move on

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It is NOT POSSIBLE for oil molecules to evaporate, assisted or not.

I think after earlier proving that solid rock can evaporate, you could at least suffix your post with something about "direct sun light."

Even when we assume we all know that crude is a combination of many hydrocarbons, the distillation process which separates them literally evaporates them, and they separate because of the different boiling points.

That said, I figured we could assume that it's not "crude" falling from the sky in any of these admittedly hypothetical scenarios, but some hydrocarbon element of the dispersed crude.

honestly with the weight of the crude, I really only think so much of it can make it's way inland. Hurricanes constantly pour down water, it's not like they swoop up water, and whatever with it into the atmosphere indefinitely, and release it at will. Tornadoes may do that in movies, and hurl things for great distances in real life, but I haven't heard many similar stories with hurricanes. Usually, they only displace things several yards.

That said, the coast line could get utterly destroyed.

However, if the Corexit is assisting any of these dispersed hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, the addition of an active hurricane season could be interesting.

No but paint thinner can give you a pulmonary oedema, it's not much better.

...and if they were pumping paint thinner into my water supply, I would voice concern as well.

And do you drink Corexit?

Not by choice, but the likely hood is increasing by potentially 20,000 gallons a day.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Uh, a large part of the concern with a hurricane bringing oil and dispersant inland is from the storm surge literally washing the slicks inland.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Maybe "drinking" was being too literal. We come into much more direct contact with all aspects of the water cycle down here near the tropics.

That pdf didn't really surpass my knowledge of these storms, probably correlated to how I also didn't see anything in there about how the Corexit factors in. The NOAA has also with held information until it's so obvious that it can't be withheld anymore, like they are trying to help BP not look so bad, or generally downplay this disaster. With the money BP has to throw around, I really have to take information from federal agencies with a grain of salt.

I'm not going to concern myself with the oil, until I know it's the greatest threat from this disaster.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Ah.. what's a little oily rain compared to the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)?

The bottom line: BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling operation may have triggered an irreversible, cascading geological Apocalypse that will culminate with the first mass extinction of life on Earth in many millions of years.

The oil giant drilled down miles into a geologically unstable region and may have set the stage for the eventual premature release of a methane mega-bubble.

http://www.helium.com/items/1882339...ster-may-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Ah.. what's a little oily rain compared to the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)?

http://www.helium.com/items/1882339...ster-may-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event

Holy christ this ****ing thing is spreading like cancer. Here are my responses from a friend's Facebook post:

That article positively reeks of conspiracy theory, of which there have already been many surrounding the BP oil spill. Lots of speculation, very little detailed or quantitative description of how this could happen. Very simple details are left out, like "What geological formations is that methane coming from? How do they know how much is down there? How, mechanically, will leaks on the seafloor transform into a catastrophic collapse?" etc etc. Listen to the sensationalistic way things are described too:

"Benzene is extremely toxic and even short term exposure can cause agonizing death from cancerous lesions years later."

They could have just said it's carcinogenic. This article is obviously written for maximum shock value by someone who is not a scientist, but attempts to make it appear that real scientists support their crackpot theory.

They also use supposed lack of access to information as an excuse to be vague, when there's just no way they'd have enough information to support such an elaborate theory even if the authorities were being 100% transparent. Assuming you have no data at all though, even from a purely theoretical point of view the article is pretty full of holes. Look at their references for god's sake. This is the first one, ostensibly showing that the Permian mass extinction was caused by a methane bubble - a page on a website made in 1996 to "showcase Canada at the World Internet Exposition": http://park.org/Canada/Museum/extinction/permass.html

And if you click through to "causes of the Permian Mass Extinction" you get this:

http://park.org/Canada/Museum/extinction/permcause.html

A very very brief summary of four of the most accepted theories, none of which mention a methane bubble.

If somebody tells you the world is ending your very first reaction should be to assume they're full of ****.

Last edited: