[lolitics]Your thoughts on offshore drilling after this mess.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Almost nowhere. The cavity will be filled with rubble, and while there will be some space between the bigger pieces of rubble, this will not procure enough volume. In that document I link to, it says the radius for a 100kT explosion at 800m is about 45 meters. Now like I said, the deeper you go, the higher the pressure is. According to this .pdf document which I think is the correct one, the well drilled by the Deepwater Horizon is of approximately 4.5 km in depth in rock, under 5 km of water. A 100kT explosion that creates a 45m radius cavity at 800m will of course give a smaller cavity at 4.5 km of depth because of the higher pressure at that point. Filled with rubble, the interstitial space does not give a lot of volume for something as big as the Macondo prospect which contains millions of barrels of oil. You would have to place multiple devices in a grid pattern, and therefore drilling more wells to do so. At that point, you have to ask: should we drill two relief wells, or drill multiple wells for nuclear devices which may or may not work (While it is certain that the relief wells will?)

Oh and what's wonderful is that they include mathematical formulae for predicting the size of the cavities that would form in the document. Let's look at that for an instant shall we?

The formula for predicting the cavity size is this:
R = C (Y^(1/3)/(rho*h)^(0.25))

R is the radius, C is a constant depending on the material, Y is the yield, rho is the density of the material, h is the depth of the explosion. ^ means it's a power (because you can't do small text on the forum.)

The oceanic crust is, on the surface, sedimentary rocks, then basalt, then gabbros and other metamorphic rocks. The biggest part of the oceanic crust is these metamorphic rocks, this is in what the Macondo prospect is, this is what we drilled into to get to it.
A quick search tells us that gabbro density varies from 2.90 to 3.10, let's average this to 3.
Now unfortunately we don't have the C constant in the document for gabbro. But the closest rock in the ones we have is granite, the only other volcanic rock. So for the sake of the argument, let's use it's C constant. I'll average it out to 59.09.
Now our yield is the same, 100kT
Our depth h is 4.5km, or 4500m (Let's exclude the water, even though we shouldn't and treat this as emerged landscape.)

We have: R = 59.09 (100^(1/3)/(3*4500)^0.25)
And so R = 25.4 meters.

So we get a cavity with a diameter of 50 meters or about that, below big oil reservoir, and not all of these 50 meters will be usable because there's a very high chance that it will fill itself with rubble.
Oh and using a higher yield to make the cavity bigger, well I thought about that too. According to this Wikipedia page, we have the yields for nuclear weapons around the world. However note that we can't use every yield because the device has to fit down into a well bore right? I think the highest would be the W88 nuclear device, and with that yield (500kT) we get a radius of 43 meters. Still not a lot compared to the volume of oil we would want to drain down using the theory you presented. Of course this would also be filled with rubble so it would drain even less.

I don't think this nuclear explosion thing can work at all.

Me neither.
Stupid maths.

I'm fairly certain that some products you have in your house are "scarier" than this.
In fact I'll just throw some paint thinner up and you'll see that the paint thinner is actually more dangerous than Corexit. And you probably have paint thinner in your house, but not Corexit.

Oh and let's not forget the famous bleach + vinegar thing.
Don't do it, I'm serious. I'm not responsible if you die.

How about: tell me what happens or i'll do it to see.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1mI-DJII1U

Household chemicals don't make me bleed from my rectum. You'd have to consume oil for these kinds of symptoms.

I'm fully aware the oil can't get into the atmosphere unassisted. Only hindsight or independent testing will prove this one way or the other. Even if they know it's feasible, they won't publish it.
* sigh *

It is NOT POSSIBLE for oil molecules to evaporate, assisted or not.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Okay, fine, sorry. :shake:

Oil, as a whole, does not evaporate. Certain components of oil can evaporate under certain conditions, but it is a misnomer to say that oil is evaporating or that it could possibly rain oil. Oil has another problem, which is that it is not soluble in water and has no way to attach to water particles that form clouds.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Okay, fine, sorry. :shake:

Oil, as a whole, does not evaporate. Certain components of oil can evaporate under certain conditions, but it is a misnomer to say that oil is evaporating or that it could possibly rain oil. Oil has another problem, which is that it is not soluble in water and has no way to attach to water particles that form clouds.

That it may not be oil in it's pure form, but just toxic compounds from the oil, doesen't really make it any less scary now does it.. toxic rain is toxic rain, it's a bad thing, and if there's any chance at all that this is happening, it warrents vigilance at the very least.

I hope we can atleast agree to that much.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
NO BECAUSE ITS JUST FEARMONGERING BY CNN AND MSNBC AND THOSE LIBERAL GOOD FOR NOTHING POORS DOWN SOUTH AND ITS DESTROYING OUR WAY OF LIFE AND ERODING OUR RIGHTS AND AGAINST THE WORD OF THE LORD IN THE GOOD BOOK

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That it may not be oil in it's pure form, but just toxic compounds from the oil, doesen't really make it any less scary now does it.. toxic rain is toxic rain, it's a bad thing, and if there's any chance at all that this is happening, it warrents vigilance at the very least.

I hope we can atleast agree to that much.
Well, in this case, oil IS the sum of it's parts. Oil simply can't recombine after it has been dispersed. The Corexit is dispersing the oil so it can be processed faster naturally. How could the bacteria destroy the oil if not by separating the compounds that make it up making it far less toxic?

The fact of the matter is that oil cannot condensate, the separation of the components of oil when it does evaporate may lead to certain chemicals combining with water particles and then being "washed" (as it were) out of the atmosphere by the rain, but it would not really be toxic or resemble oil at all.

The only reason I'm fighting this is that there are far more important things to worry about with the oil spill than to make up retarded claims about oil doing something that is physically impossible to do. For example, a hurricane could easily pull oil out of the gulf and carry it in-land quite a ways before it dispersed. The slick is close enough to shore that the hurricane would have a long time to pull oil up, and a long time to put oil down as it came inland. I'm far more concerned about the implications of that than a few of the supposedly toxic chemicals contained in oil being washed out of the atmosphere.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
NO BECAUSE ITS JUST FEARMONGERING BY CNN AND MSNBC AND THOSE LIBERAL GOOD FOR NOTHING POORS DOWN SOUTH AND ITS DESTROYING OUR WAY OF LIFE AND ERODING OUR RIGHTS AND AGAINST THE WORD OF THE LORD IN THE GOOD BOOK

^needs more pinko commie hate

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I thought the point of the cap was just to make the leak look better until the relief wells are done. :p

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
:lol: maybe so

I looked at the live feed again and the camera was moving around. It looked up at the collector and it looks like every bit was going in it.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
make up retarded claims about oil doing something that is physically impossible to do.
Who is doing that?
I'm fairly certain that some products you have in your house are "scarier" than this.
In fact I'll just throw some paint thinner up and you'll see that the paint thinner is actually more dangerous than Corexit. And you probably have paint thinner in your house, but not Corexit.

Oh and let's not forget the famous bleach + vinegar thing.
Don't do it, I'm serious. I'm not responsible if you die.
Do you drink paint thinner?

Last edited: