Is there a mod in need of a mapper?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SwampF0x

Aug 4, 2005
lol, well its actually a statue, full statue, going into a whole in a ceiling. i will post pic l8r

SwampF0x

Aug 4, 2005
Ok, major update on that map. I have been accepted into UTMP as a BetaTester/Mapper. This map here is gonna be on the UTMP preview release. I will have this map uploaded to a site for download VERY soon. Hopeing in a day or two.

"On the unclaimed egyptian land of Intacnus, warriors fight for the unknown treasures of Intibacus, the pharaoh that once was. They say there is immortality among this land, but no one will know the real curses it bestows upon all who enter it. "The land is guarded by those who are dead; the dead keep it," as they tell."
*EDIT* Got a host for the map.
http://miami.game-host.org/temp/DM-TombGroundsDeuce-Beta2.zip

TGDSS.gif

Last edited:

HarvesterUT

beat me with a stick
Oct 28, 2002
Texas
SwampF0x,

welcome to the boards. i am glad you have so much enthusiasm for mapping. i, too remember way back when in UT99 when i started mapping. I thought each map i made was really sweet and i wanted to show it off to every forum I was on.

Years later I see why my maps werent cool or popular. They just weren't good. I'm not saying your ideas and layouts arent good, but ALL of your maps look like they came out of Counter Strike (the original).

I want you to start UT2004 and open ONS-Urban, and then open your FO maps and compare the two. They arent even close, they dont even look like the same engine!

Im not trying to be mean, trust me I have been mapping for some time and I am not that good. I am trying to be realistic. People are bashing you not because youre a new mapper but because of your attitude.

You come in here looking for a mod team and show a few very poor editor shots. You show very little grasp of static meshes, design, or basic lighting. You're, "i dont see what's wrong with my maps" attitude is wearing a little thin I suspect.

Take what we say in stride, actually THINK about separates your maps from the "good" ones in UT2004, and keep working at it.

I guarantee in a year or two you will come back here and laugh at how far you've gone!!!!

Good luck!

Harv

SuperApe

Registered Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
Inna Jungle
wiki.beyondunreal.com
Turret 49 said:
Ugh. Why is almost everything set to unlit?
Now, that's unfair...

everything is unlit. (zonelit)

HarvesterUT @ Well said. Bringing up the idea of comparing one's own work to that of the stock maps, popular custom maps, etc. is an excellent idea (and a good overall "gut check").
Even more helpful to SwampFox's mapping journey (or any beginning mappers reading this thread) is to open some of these maps in the editor and try to decipher *how* things are done. Botpathing, lighting, effects, movers, trigger systems can all be reverse engineered by simply opening the map (or better yet, a backup) in Ued and doing a little detective work.
See a neat effect or cool thing in another map? Great, open it up in Ued and see how it was put together. Next time you want to put something similar (I don't recommend just duplicating it) that in your map, you have a good reference and starting point to work with.
But, I suspect the most important advice at this point should be, don't seek or expect kudos and admiration, just strive to do better.

SwampF0x

Aug 4, 2005
ok, the lighting was a major problem and kept on only making things 1/2 really bright, and the other 1/2 really dark :/ and im working on it in bits and pieces

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
just try to make your room less cubic and smaller, then learn how to make connectivity so the player will feel more comfortable while playing the map.

Zone light is a bitch, from what i can tell, i used it for 3 years and i early realized it is really better to use LE_noninstance lightning with a radius of 150 and 10 of brightness. it will kinda produce the same lightning HL2's hammer have

fiendskull9

Map Builder Extrodanaire
Oct 31, 2005
Illin0is
hey Swamp, i have plans to start a Ut2004 racing game mod (a bit more like the old need for speed's)....

if you want, you can join, im doing basic mapping right now, but you totally are better than me (im such a noob:p )

so yeah, if your interested-

yahoo- fiendskull9
aim- atleebass
msn- fiendskull9@gmail.com

clay

SwampF0x

Aug 4, 2005
Need to fix:
Add Lifts/Fix Jumppad
Pathing
Blocking Volume
Weapon layout
Lighting
Fixed
Lighting
Terrain Sky Box
Top layer Jump Pad--still under construction
SM Layout in the rooms
Somewhat the blocking volume
And all that you can see totally different
Images
s11hs.jpg

s23cy.jpg

s38we.jpg

s43go.jpg

s51fx.jpg

Download:
http://www.savefile.com/files/5552938

SwampF0x

Aug 4, 2005
come one guys, please comment this one, its really the only one that im intrested in comments on

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The work flow look like a Trial map. As for the lightning it's WAYYY better than what you previously shown in this thread.

SwampF0x

Aug 4, 2005
thanks. this is was a beta releae for the UTMP map pack that im working for, and figured might as well release it to to you guys. as for the flow, i still gotta fix the jumppad, put some lifts in there, fix the weapon lay out, and the blocking at the top level, which the blocking is probally gonna be the harderst, we'll see. anyone else? and im loving those sigs Kantham, there awesome

Xafixe79

UTCMP Skinner
Sep 10, 2005
Hey SwampFox when can you post the new version of your map in the testing zone? I really like the first pic with anubis's legs going underground. :D

Killah is making a GTA mod

Last edited by a moderator: