Installing D3D11 Render Device On New Build

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I am a long time player of UT 99, since 99 actually. Been getting some work friends interested in playing the last year. I have installed the dx9 and dx10 render updates and the show up as an option when I change the display settings, but the dx11 option does not show up. Not sure what I am missing. The c++ redistributable that was recommended is out of date, a newer version is on the computer. Windows 10 pro..
Welcome to the forums.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Well Mark you say you installed the DX9 and 10 renderers so thats what will show.
If you want DX11 to show you also have to get a DX11 renderer.
When you have the renderer downloaded make sure you read the included txt files and copy all of the files needed.
The Visual C distro only needs to match the year 2010 release so the newer update is fine.

Note for all:
You cannot disable compressed texture support in this renderer so there is no option to enable it.
If you want compressed textures off, use an older renderer.

Pasted below is the plain defaults for the D3D11 renderer that is available from ModDB (v1.6.1).
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-directx11-renderer-for-ut-ug-rune-and-dx
Any other lines will be ignored.

[D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
DetailTextures=True
Precache=False
Antialiasing=4
Anisotropy=16
VSync=True
ParallaxOcclusionMapping=True
LODBias=0
BumpMapping=True
HDR=True
AlphaToCoverage=True
AutoFOV=True
FPSLimit=100
UnlimitedViewDistance=True
ASSAO=True
ASSAOContrast=0.300000
ASSAOScale=0.200000
HDRLuminance=0.600000
HDRAdaptationSpeed=0.200000
HDRBloom=0.200000
HDRFilmicTonemapping=True
SSR=True
SSRIntensity=0.350000
ParallaxRange=1.000000
BumpMappingContrast=0.500000
SSRNonTransparentWater=True
SSRModelIntensity=0.500000
OneXBlending=False
Tesselation=True
TessDefaultFactor=0.300000
FullMeshLOD=False
SupportMETextEnabled=True
FastAltTab=False
DisableTextureFiltering=False
DescFlags=0
Description=

Add the renderer defaults to the "default.ini" so they can be reset any time you need via the advanced options window.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Hi All,

On a new build, for Unreal gaming, I installed high definition (HD) 4K extreme edition, 4.3GB textures, the largest and most up to date textures currently available.

Those textures require the use of D3D11 Render Device software to work. I didn't have D3D11 Render Device software installed. I downloaded, installed them, and launched an Unreal game for testing.

In the game's Advanced Options, Rendering drop-down menu, the D3D11 Support was listed as "Failed to Load." The system Log showed an error "Can't find file for package D3D11Drv." Those errors mean that my installed D3D Render Device software was not working.

To enable my D3D11 software, I searched the Internet and determined that I needed two versions of Microsoft software, as follows.:

1. Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime, (June 2010)
2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X86 Redistributable -- 10030319

I didn't have those, so I installed them, after which my Unreal games recognized the D3D11software. Unreal Gold, Napli and Unreal Tournament 99 are now running with D3D11Render Device software.

This post makes the task I had look like it was easy. Well, it was not. I was confused a lot. It took me the better part of a day to sort this problem out.

For those of you that are interested in installing textures that require D3D11 Renderer to work, you now know what you may have to do to make your task easier than what my situation was. You can find all the textures and other neat stuff here.:

Did You Know About the Updates Available for Unreal, Napali and UT99

Freddy

Edit: Actually, the total textures I installed was more than 4.8GB, as stated in the first paragraph, above. The total was 8.1GB. I made an error in above statement.

Edit 2: I'm using Windows 10 Home, latest edition.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
I just learned that D3D11 renderer won't be supported in the new 227J patch, this one:

https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/unreal-patch-227j-released.208616/

It turns out that Epic Games has objected to the use of this mod (D3D11), for reasons I won't get into. It was supported in patch 227i because the author of the mod made it compatible. Others had nothing to do with it.

I was unaware of this issue when I first installed it on my system. Now that I have learned about this issue, I'm passing it on to others for their information and action.

Freddie

Last edited:
Reactions: Manticore

Frankie B

Jul 20, 2024
Hi All,

On a new build, for Unreal gaming, I installed high definition (HD) 4K extreme edition, 4.3GB textures, the largest and most up to date textures currently available.

Those textures require the use of D3D11 Render Device software to work. I didn't have D3D11 Render Device software installed. I downloaded, installed them, and launched an Unreal game for testing.

In the game's Advanced Options, Rendering drop-down menu, the D3D11 Support was listed as "Failed to Load." The system Log showed an error "Can't find file for package D3D11Drv." Those errors mean that my installed D3D Render Device software was not working.

To enable my D3D11 software, I searched the Internet and determined that I needed two versions of Microsoft software, as follows.:

1. Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime, (June 2010)
2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X86 Redistributable -- 10030319

I didn't have those, so I installed them, after which my Unreal games recognized the D3D11software. Unreal Gold, Napli and Unreal Tournament 99 are now running with D3D11Render Device software.

This post makes the task I had look like it was easy. Well, it was not. I was confused a lot. It took me the better part of a day to sort this problem out.

For those of you that are interested in installing textures that require D3D11 Renderer to work, you now know what you may have to do to make your task easier than what my situation was. You can find all the textures and other neat stuff here.:

Did You Know About the Updates Available for Unreal, Napali and UT99

Freddy

Edit: Actually, the total textures I installed was more than 4.8GB, as stated in the first paragraph, above. The total was 8.1GB. I made an error in above statement.

Edit 2: I'm using Windows 10 Home, latest edition.
Thanks for this post, install these two microsoft files made the mod work.
I had everything installed but didn't have direct x or redistributable. After that, the directx 11 showed up in preferences, Thanks. New install of windows 11.

Kajgue

(T:S:B)Clan Chief
Jul 24, 2010
I just learned that D3D11 renderer won't be supported in the new 227J patch, this one:

https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/unreal-patch-227j-released.208616/

It turns out that Epic Games has objected to the use of this mod (D3D11), for reasons I won't get into. It was supported in patch 227i because the author of the mod made it compatible. Others had nothing to do with it.

I was unaware of this issue when I first installed it on my system. Now that I have learned about this issue, I'm passing it on to others for their information and action.

Freddie

So, just to elaborate as the mod author omitted alot of important details -

1) The project falsely advertised a veriety of features that it plain didn't have, it almost entirely relies on post processing effects

2) When launching the game with the renderer installed, it will replace your clipboard information with a direct link to the authors patreon (Not good in terms of security)

3) Because ModDB took his mod down, he's locked it behind a paywall on patreon.

4) Can't confirm myself but apparently he was banned from ModDB for threatening to fill the driver with malware due to bad comments.

The author of the mod claims this is solely because Epic don't want mods for Unreal/UT99, which is utter nonsense in this specific case.

Reactions: Frankie B