icelandic Volcanic Ash grounds the UK

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
The ash is just a sighn from the planet.
It don't like the iPad.

Kill all,the iPads, and calm will be restored.

Or. It doesn't like the fact that GOW3 is not coming out for PCs.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Yeah obviously, it's just a little bizarre how we have this epic cloud covering half of europe and grounding 80% of the flights in europe, but most of the news I'm seeing online and on international tv channels just talks about the UK.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Yeah obviously, it's just a little bizarre how we have this epic cloud covering half of europe and grounding 80% of the flights in europe, but most of the news I'm seeing online and on international tv channels just talks about the UK.

English speaking news talks about english speaking countries I guess.I agree though it's silly but I have to say, nearly all the ash maps i've seen have shown Norway barely touched while the UK is always "engulfed".
i'm still disapointed that the sky hasn't changed colour. Not even at sunset.

Apparently airlines are urging for a review of the ban;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8628323.stm
Apparently test flights have been succesful... I know I wouldn't want to be on one of the unbanned flights, that'sf or sure.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net

I think we're getting it most about the UK too, because as an island nation, it's hit a bit harder than the continent, since all travel in and out of the country is now limited to ferries.

Also, being closest to Iceland, it's British airspace that's the worst off at present, especially with how the wind is carrying it. Nevertheless, most of western Europe is shut out of the air, I'll agree.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Holy**** that is fast. Though you really don't want that anywhere in the world. Considering suicide count from basic 40/50 KM/h trains are quite high.. what worries me the most about this train is how it's safety is entirely based on the railing quality. I do believe a very slight vandalism/imperfection on the railing could cause for the most spectacular train wreck ever, too.

Yeah.

The US does not have any high speed trains. The trains it does have are slow by comparison, but they are limited to even slower speeds due to poor track condition. It does not matter how fast a train can go if it's limited to under 50 mph because the rails are in poor condition. The tracks are expensive to build and maintain, so none are built and the current tracks are only maintained enough for marginal service.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I think we're getting it most about the UK too, because as an island nation, it's hit a bit harder than the continent, since all travel in and out of the country is now limited to ferries.

Also, being closest to Iceland, it's British airspace that's the worst off at present, especially with how the wind is carrying it. Nevertheless, most of western Europe is shut out of the air, I'll agree.

Denmark is in the exact same predicament, we're an island nation, we got more than our fair share of the ash, we have only one mainland connection with the continent (the UK has the tunnel, we've got Jutland), and everything is grounded, nothing is allwoed to fly (hell i think they will start charging birds for airspace violations next).

But since English isen't our native tongue, we're not news.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I was under the impression that Denmark has a significant number of ferries already in service between mainland Denmark and the islands (and act as the most common form of travel between them)?

DarkCrow

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Jun 13, 2004
Brasil
It's more than just air travel - if it keeps churning out **** in the air, expect severe changes in weather on a fairly global scale for quite some months - it's going to affect things like agriculture and who knows what else too.

Aren't volcano ashes good to the soil?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Yes, but they can kill plants if they cover the leaves and prevent photosynthesis.
It will be good for agriculture in the future, but not right now.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Weather changes have a knock-on effect to plant life in general, especially sensitive things such as many crops.

Volcanic ash is potentially hazardous to livestock (and animals in general) as inhalation can severely affect respiratory ability for various reasons, and it's also generally toxic to ingest.

This is also ignoring the possibility of high sulfer emissions and other toxic gasses. People and livestock in the UK (and probably Scandinavia too) have been killed by toxic emissions from Icelandic volcanic activity in the past.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
We have a friend from Peterborough England staying with us. She's supposed to stay here until next Monday, but we're worried that she might have to stay longer. Her sister is stranded in Mexico right now.

DarkCrow

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Jun 13, 2004
Brasil
e01_23056097.jpg

more pics here:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

Radar Pic
vulcao_Eyjafjallajokull_iradar_abr_2010.jpg

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I'm waiting for spectacular sunsets, due to the particulates being well-mixed throughout the atmosphere. Unfortunately, the peoples in North America probably won't see as spectacular of sunsets compared to Europe.

Last edited: