icelandic Volcanic Ash grounds the UK

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
It should be up to the individual whether they should fly or not, airplanes should be supplied by the government for anyone who wants one. Pilot licenses should not be necessary.
Police men would need aeroplanes in order to apprehend flying law-breakers though.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The police would need to start wearing silly hats again - that way I would take them more seriously.
I also think they would benefit from driving around in silly keystone cop vehicles that fell apart after 20 yards.
This way, we could reinvigorate the slapstick comedy genre.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Will TransAtlantic Passenger ships be cool again?

Since the news keeps repeating over and over again that the prior "burp" laster 2 years, do you think we could possibly adapt, bypass, and work around the loss of a single form of travel? A 1-2 week cruise may make TransAtlantic business travel sound pretty good.. Then again, poorly prepared and under provisioned attempts may prove news worthy themselves.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Since the news keeps repeating over and over again that the prior "burp" laster 2 years, do you think we could possibly adapt, bypass, and work around the loss of a single form of travel? A 1-2 week cruise may make TransAtlantic business travel sound pretty good.. Then again, poorly prepared and under provisioned attempts may prove news worthy themselves.

Across the oceans: ground effect vehicles
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydhe70Wig3k[/M]

For land: High speed trains
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4zn-qw1oM[/M]

I've read that it's possible to have a 400 km/h cruise speed on any of those :)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Perhabs now would be a good time to dust off some of the old conventional prop planes, surely some LI-2's, C-47's and D18's could be dusted up somewhere.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I feel like a minority :( I mean half of europe is grounded, including all of norway, and all the news keep talking about the UK. We're fine, thanks for asking!

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Some sweet pics from iceland (click the row of numbers in upper right for other slides). #2 needs more dinosaurs with lasers and darth vaders.

http://www.vg.no/bildespesial/spesial.php?id=7612

I think some of the ash has started to land here. I can't see it with my naked eye, but if I run my finger over the outside walls and my car and things like that, it's soot black. This isn't exactly something I check every day so it might just be random dirt.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
High speed trains
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4zn-qw1oM[/M]

Holy**** that is fast. Though you really don't want that anywhere in the world. Considering suicide count from basic 40/50 KM/h trains are quite high.. what worries me the most about this train is how it's safety is entirely based on the railing quality. I do believe a very slight vandalism/imperfection on the railing could cause for the most spectacular train wreck ever, too.

Yeah.

DarkCrow

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Jun 13, 2004
Brasil
Some pics
raioss.jpg

raios6.jpg

raios5.jpg

raios4.jpg

raios1.jpg

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It's more than just air travel - if it keeps churning out **** in the air, expect severe changes in weather on a fairly global scale for quite some months - it's going to affect things like agriculture and who knows what else too.