1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I just wet myself

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament' started by TWD, May 2, 2014.

1. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

Their plans for Unreal Engine 4 already handle most of this. All of the tools are already a part of the Unreal Engine 4 setup. They've even talked about there being an Unreal Engine 4 store. All you need to do is pay the monthly subscription fee.

For an example of how easy it is to pull in assets from not only Unreal Engine 3, but 2 as well see this:
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/30/bioshock-unreal-engine-4/

I'm a little skeptical about it being for Open Tournament. Simply because Playforgg (the guy behind the project) seems to be as clueless as anyone else:

2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Curing the infection...

Yea, vblanco confirmed over at the megaboards that they had not been in contact with Epic at all.
    Maybe their project sparkled some interest in some of the epic guys atleast

3. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Outside of Gears of War, recycling isn't really a common theme with Epic Games. What's been a really common theme with them is to make everything look brown and Gears of War.

4. sneh

sneh -

I can't help feeling really excited and optimistic!

UE4 appears to have simplified developing for multiple platforms, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense not to make a 'proper' PC version (I think the era of developing for console then 'porting' to PC is over.. cough UT3 cough)

Interesting how so many people think it might involve the community.. That would be awesome, I'd love to be a part of that, but I won't hold my breathe.

Time to dust off the cobwebs and get back to some of my previous projects?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xh0FaQzhKA

I've been playing around with UE4 for a few weeks now, actually I'd love to do some new and original projects for UTX as well.. (or get an actual job.. lol)

5. sneh

sneh -

The Shooter Game example that came with the new engine looks promising..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJry_vuC0o

6. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Yeah, I know, but I just had to download all of the example content again when I upgraded to 4.1. Imagine having to do that with a shit ton of game content every time the engine is upgraded.

7. M^uL

M^uL New Member

Paul Meegan tweeted that it WILL involve the community so that's the reason people think that. :)

8. M^uL

M^uL New Member

And the reason for that is the "perfect Unreal Tournament" is different depending on which UT was your favorite. The community model is perfect in this respect.

Let us F it up ourselves and then we will complain to the modder instead of Epic. :D

9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

That's only true up to around UT3 times. Take a look at the UT demo in UDK. It's nothing like that. And the Shooter Example in UT4 is an even further departure.
    There are things I love about all the UT games, and I probably have the fondest and most enjoyable memories from UT2003. But I don't even know what the "perfect" UT game is. Teh gameplay in UT3 was good but it was missing a lot of magic and it just didn't look good enough or run good enough.

That being said, though... that scares me about what this is. If Epic is going to provide the "Shooter Game" with UT weapons and modding, that's great but not good enough to resurrect the series long term. It might be enough to keep the series on life support for a while, though. I don't want a community driven game. The UT community generally has ideas that would ruin the series and make the games no fun and lots of vocal people latch on to them. UT wasn't successful because Epic did what the community said, it was successful because Epic paid attention to the community and made thoughtful changes. If this isn't that, it's pretty much doomed to failure.

10. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

That's why you make Ultimate Unreal HD Remix. Then there's no complaints because the goal is just too recreate the the old games. No balance changes or any of that to mess with.

11. DDRRE

DDRRE Flesh is a design flaw.

I know that the popular way to handle this among us UT veterans is to refrain from keeping our hopes up, but I'd rather be as optimistic as possible. True, all we know is that there's a small news item in a UE4 Twitch stream that refers to "the future of UT" and the "UE4 dev community", and that's not where one would announce a full-blown UT4 effort by Epic, but you never know.

At least it made a lot of people talking about UT, including you guys - nicknames I haven't seen in a few years (back when I was a 14-year-old spamming polls in the UT2004 forums).

As I stated on the Epic Forums, this is how I see the ideal outcome of the announcement (written to address the potential UT4 devs):

12. (GR)Killer

(GR)Killer ...

Would you guys like a mix of quake and UT? or just UT?

13. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

What do you mean? Quake's core mechanic is to jump for momentum and shoot at things. From the sound of it, Quake mixed with UT would mean a ground/wall dodge mechanic combined with bunny hopping for mobility.

Unless you meant something else, I'll pass.

14. Mang Nux

Mang Nux New Member

My favourite was the bot voice command. That blew my mind back in the day, and at the time I took it for granted that bot voice recognition would become a standard feature in future games. But what happened? Barely any game has bots, let alone voice commands to control them, and the worst insult was UT3 which was packed with regressions including no bot voice control (even though early PR propaganda suggested there would be highly sophisticated bot commands IIRC - eg. player: "bot, check in that room" Bot: "room clear").

15. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Whatever it is, it needs to have all the features of UT, UT2004 and UT3. What I mean is all the stuff in the menus, etc.

16. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

This is the only thing that makes sense to me, but then UT isn't UT without crazy balance-disrupting ability to mod.

Even though UT is not that hard to code I don't see Epic doing the not-inconsiderable work of recreating UT without an incentive beyond goodwill. Perhaps it'll be a store showcase in some way.

17. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

There's a free game out there that inserts Last Man Standing, Domination and Double Domination gametypes to the standard Q3TA modes but I forgot what it was called. Do you mean like that one?

Judging from some other posts around here you wouldn't buy the game anyway. Of course you see any news about a teasy pre-announcement of a new commercial game (that people are willing to throw money at for not being inundated by hawkprey) as this. The only thing you don't consider as 'a spam' are the NFOs that come up.

Pirate.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  18. Carbon

Carbon Altiloquent bloviator.

19. Mang Nux

Mang Nux New Member

The gun looks a little Crysis 2/3-like and there are hexagons visible, but that's about it.

It's got more UT2003/04 and UC2 in it if you ask me (in terms of the environment). Quite impressive actually.

In fact, the more I look at it, the more I can see that as a modern UT2003 map. BR-Skyline? Desolation?

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  20. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

Maybe Epic wants to crowdfund the game.