Future Engine: Half Life 2? Yay? Nay?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
If you are so into the HL engine and down on Unreal Technology why are you bothering with Infiltration at all?
Because dispite the llimitations and problems of the UT engine SS has done some amazing work in producing Infiltration.

Beppo would be the first, and he has, point out the problems and serious limitations with the engine.

I agree wtih Domino and it looks like thats the way it is going to be.

Thank god or diety of your choice.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
Manticore said:
blah blah blah

you accuse me of having no arguement? the closest thing I've seen to an arguement from you is "hl engine has obvious faults". Then trying to to decorate the fact you keep repeating the same unsupported statement over and over by lacing it with some pathetic personal attack.

The thing I find most interesting is how you refuse to play the game yet you know so much about its support history, and are so familar with these mysterious "massive engine faults". So which is it? are you bull****ing us with the "I refuse to play half-life" line or are you telling the truth and just talking out your ass in regards to knowing a damn thing about its community support.

Also amusing is the braindead commentary that by complaining about "massive engine faults" you weren't talking about technical performce. The engine performed incredible for the time period it was released to and it still holds up today. Please explain to me the logic that dictates an engine can have such unconcsionable flaws yet still out perform every other engine for its time period. basicly, put up or shut up, saying the engine is flawed really doesn't count for **** in my book unless you actually want to talk about individual flaws.

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Although I like Doom, I don't like how id creates their content. Since Doom 3 was rewritten from a Quake 3 base, creation concepts are pretty much the same, ugh.
I'm biased toward Unreal technology for modding purposes.

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
You hate Sierra? C'mon, the Quest series of games from them ruled!
Manticore said:
No. I actually hate HL1, Valve and, you forgot to mention, Sierra and have done so for years. I wouldn't pay for their software.........

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
MP_Duke said:
Although I like Doom, I don't like how id creates their content. Since Doom 3 was rewritten from a Quake 3 base, creation concepts are pretty much the same, ugh.
I'm biased toward Unreal technology for modding purposes.

ouch! if modding in doom^3 works like or even simlarly like in quake 3, I would consider considering another engine...

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
What the hell? Doom 3 is not based on Quake 3. Where are you digging up these rumors?

Besides, Doom 3 is a substantially more flexible and more powerful engine than UT2k4 can even hope to be.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Arethusa said:
What the hell? Doom 3 is not based on Quake 3. Where are you digging up these rumors?

no, it's not based on quake 3... but if ID used similar programming techniques as in quake 3, modding is going to be crap... again. you don't change your programming philosophy from day to day, so it wouldn't be supprising to me if similar ways of implementing things are used.

Besides, Doom 3 is a substantially more flexible and more powerful engine than UT2k4 can even hope to be.

Now it's you who's diggin' up rumors... I can agree with the "more powerfull" if you are speaking of graphics... but more flexible that still has to be demonstrated. The unreal serie has a long history of flexibility and modularity which outpasses most engines out there. Alien Swarm and INF are two very good exemples...

Last edited:

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Honestly, that's about the only upside. Until the next Unreal (note: not UT) hits, UT basically loses in every other area, with one possible exception being community support. Then again, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 aren't likely to lag far behind in that area.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
doom is not an option, i guess there is a reason why there is only 4 players multiplayer, and i don't think the additional amount of resources needed for ballistics and large outdoor areas would make it pretty much impossible to run it for most people anyway.

there is nothing known about how halflife will perform yet. no idea how the netcode is, no idea what a system you'll need to run it, and no idea about its modding abilities. halflife 1 for once is quite limited in that area, and ut2004 has its limits as well, just like pretty much every game.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
The 4 players limitation is pretty old, it's a result of the first thoughts of ID of creating a game without any servers in the common sense, so that one guy would host a game for his friends. Carmack said it a few weeks ago, I posted it here, that this limitation can be easily removed by mod creators.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
the limitation can be removed, but i don't expect to find any decent netcode capable of 8 vs 8 games or even more. if the netcode is anything more then medicore then there is no logical reason for the limitation to exist, there is no multiplayer game comming from id in the next months, so avoiding intern concurence is no valid reason either.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Knowing id, do you seriously expect them to just drop a game with mediocre netcode if there's community demand? Doom 3 is supposed to be predominantly a singleplayer game, but if the community creates a deman, I'd be very susprised if id didn't respond.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Arethusa said:
Knowing id, do you seriously expect them to just drop a game with mediocre netcode if there's community demand? Doom 3 is supposed to be predominantly a singleplayer game, but if the community creates a deman, I'd be very susprised if id didn't respond.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you, obviously are not a quake 3 player... you'd know what a mediocre netcode is if you did... ... and how Id is good at doing it even if every one demands better.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Huh. I was under the impression that Q3 netcode is pretty decent. I must admit that the last game I played online was Quake 2. That was the last big FPS that that was 56k friendly. All I've got to go on is what I read.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Check this quote out from some guy figuring out what the maximum size of a map in far cry could be

//Quote [ I'm pretty sure that you could do destroyable buildings in Far Cry. Go play around with some of the large rocks and the rocket laucher if you have the game. If you don't then you just get to take my word for it that you can make large objects that can be pushed around.

I'm quite sure that you can mimic any given portion of half life in Far Cry. You can do the bridge withg an object that acts like the gas cans with no blast radius and some static parts that will stick around afterwards. Both engines are very powerful, I suspect that either of them will be able to mimic the other. The only difference that I know of is that Far Cry supports far larger maps (up to 2097 square kilometer maps, or 40 x 50 km maps. Which is, of course, using the Far Cry Meter (tm), which makes a standard human 2.5 meters tall).

edit: for purposes of figuring out actual map size, you can assume that you are 2 meters tall, so one Far Cry Meter (FCM) is .8 meters. Therefore, a 40 x 50 km map is really 32 x 40, which is still pretty damn big. It would appear that the maximum supported map size is 1677721.6 square meters or 1677.7 square kilometers. I still don't think that HL2 is in the running there. ] //Quote

HOLY **** !! :eek:

1677.7 SQUARE KILOMETERS !!! Screw small village maps, we could do small country maps! We could have aircraft, battleships, artillery, huge land invasions. Games could go on for weeks at a time! We could renact the invasion of Iraq, with both armys playing online! LOL!

Not too mention, go to the far cry site, and look at how beautiful the editor looks. Also the sdk allows shaders like Quake 3 used and its own scripting language like unreal tournament ( best of both worlds). So far it looks like UBI Soft is going to support this game. Also, its being said that it looks like HL2 and Far Cry are almost identicle engines.

Screw 2004. I vote for Far Cry!