Framerate question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambo

Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
I have a map and as long as im on the ground its not bad..but when I get up higher in the map the frame rate drops alot. I just have a few question.
1. Does too many lights decrease FrameRate?
2. Does it make a difference if the lights are closer to the ground or closer to the roof of the map?
3. Does making the light properties Brighter make framerate drop?
4. Any tips on lowering the framerate?
I looked and I think it said 500 polys.

6. How does the Scale Lights tool work? Thanks for any answers.

Oh btw, Im running a Thunderbird 900mhz with 256 Ram.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Well, 500 polys is a bit too extreme, thats why.

And whats your videocard? You could be running at 2ghz and get ****ty FPS because your vcard sucks.

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
500 polygons at the same time means large areas, outdoor areas or indoor high-detailed areas. And generally more and more polygons you add the more nodes you get, and too much nodes will hit the fps of any GF3 2Ghz PC.

IF 500 is too high? Hm... Maybe yes maybe not, since most players tends to upgrade they´re PCs if they really like a game, many will be able to play large maps smooth and many others with not that fast PCs wouldn´t be able to get decent fps.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
500 polys on-screen is a little high... angelheart makes absolutely beautiful maps for UT, but some of them can get up to 400+ polys onscreen, and that already gets pretty choppy unless you have a ninja computer... and remember, not everyone has one of those...

now, for your question in particular, i noticed you mentioned that it gets choppy when you "get up higher in the map"... if you're simply flying around the map and you're going someplace that's not normally accessible by the player, then it shouldn't be a problem gameplaywise... so you should be safe (the only people who would get the choppy framerates in this case would be end-of-round ghosts, or cheaters who fly)... if you mean that you have some areas that are high up and still accessible to th players, then you have a problem...

so to cut a long story short, if the low-fps areas aren't accessible by players under normal circumstances, then you're fine...

Rambo

Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
hmmmmmmmmm

actually...yeah they have access to the high section of the map cause they can go to the roof of both bases...I originally had about 30 trees on the bottom of the map and even with them I still had decent framerate(low). Im running a GeForce 2mmx 32mb card for video.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
the 30 trees could be contributing to the problem... unless they're of the "two intersecting sheets" type, they'll be adding plenty of polys... supposing each tree was a 40-poly brush... 30 trees is a whopping 120 polys that can be used somewhere else... with a 2 or 3 sheet tree you save plenty of polys, and thus, framerate improves...

[edit] oh yeah, here's a link:
http://www.planetunreal.com/nalicity/reviews/inf_blairwoods.html
[/edit]

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
It's not the polyies that cause bad fps it's all that occluding done to them.

I did an experiment once involving terregen.
I made a stonking brush about 1000 polyies at places and because I used no light just ambient lighting it ran perfectly fine.

And because it's an outside map map perhaps you could give it a bit of ambient lighting instead of lot's of lights.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
true, but mesh-based trees are bad whichever way you put it if you have them in high enough numbers... if they're semi-solids they don't occlude, which means all of 'em are being drawn... if they're solid i don't even wanna think about the bsp cuts...

i agree about the ambient lighting, though, that'll definitely help tons, instead of putting a bunch of lights... to an extent, of course...

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
500 polys?? THat's damn high...try to stay between 200-400 that gives you plenty of elbow room and won't kill the slower comps. If you don't necessary need the 400 polys for a scene then don't use that much. Nice lighting and low-poly architecture looks better than 500-poly curvy rooms/terrains with uniform lighting.

If you are sticking to the upper limits then don't use meshes and dynamic/volumetric lighting.

Try blocking the player's view...that's the best solution. Lowers polycount and Occ. times.

Rambo

Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
map specs

I found it once but I cant remember where I seen it at. Where is it that you can see how many polys are in your map?

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
you can check these under build->build options->stats

however, the important thing is not so much how many polys are in the level total, but rather how many polys are in the players' view at one time... i'm not sure how to do this within the editor itself, but in the game, open up the console (tab, or tilde "~" by default), and type "stat fps" without the quotes... it'll show your framerate and number of visible polys at the bottom of the screen...

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Originally posted by Shimmering wings
500 polygons at the same time means large areas, outdoor areas or indoor high-detailed areas. And generally more and more polygons you add the more nodes you get, and too much nodes will hit the fps of any GF3 2Ghz PC.

IF 500 is too high? Hm... Maybe yes maybe not, since most players tends to upgrade they´re PCs if they really like a game, many will be able to play large maps smooth and many others with not that fast PCs wouldn´t be able to get decent fps.

Ask yourself this question: How many people have a GeForce3 at the moment?

Also: Why would anyone want to have that many polys in one area, taking up all the bsp cuts and crap when they could spread it out and have good FPS?

common

Magnitude & Direction
Jun 16, 2001
canada
Visit site
ahhhh

in the editor 2.0

thats view/log
type .. stat fps
press enter and close window
now u fly around at the worst possible spot a player can see and watch the bottom of the screen for your counts. :p

oh
the total in the build options menu ( after your last build )
i dont think matter as long as the worst possible spot a player can see flying around counts are not too high. :)

fallonme

tangled web
May 18, 2001
Fractured Reality
fallonme.tripod.com
Re: ahhhh

Originally posted by common
oh
the total in the build options menu ( after your last build )
i dont think matter as long as the worst possible spot a player can see flying around counts are not too high. :) [/B]
Almost right you need to watch the ratio between nodes and polys making sure it doesn't go above a 1:2 ratio or the entire map will be hard on computers and polys don't affect fps as much as nodes do but you do need to watch both

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
It means that the average nodecount of your level is high. THat causes slowdowns, bigger slowdowns than high polycounts. It indicates that your the level geometry is complex.

An average of 2,3 nodes/1 poly is still good but don't let it go higher because it makes your map slower and it increases the possibility of getting BSP holes.