Duke Nukem Forever Reviews

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It's honestly very hard to take Ben Kuchera seriously. That's a horrible, whiny, and factually incorrect article.

He's not kidding when the game is unfunny.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALA791OZ_4[/M]

You could however, consider it so badly unfunny it actually is funny.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a few 15 years old are laughing their asses off when they have a glance at this.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
He's not kidding when the game is unfunny.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALA791OZ_4[/M]

You could however, consider it so badly unfunny it actually is funny.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a few 15 years old are laughing their asses off when they have a glance at this.

Looking at your Steam account I see you don't have the game, so you're drawing your conclusion from what? A video of a minute of the game? And 99% of that video isn't even "in the game" - it's a commercial.

His article is piss poor whether Duke is funny or not.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
No I don't have the game, no I haven't played it yet, no I've watched more than just a commercial to grab this conclusion, in fact I've watched a few playtroughs.

I'm not sure why you'd be so defensive about this game.
I just blame the humor direction alone. The rest of the game looks very indie and average (a-okay I guess)

The commercial is actually a good idea of the humoristic context found in this game, so I just posted it for emphasis.

I don't think his article gives him any fame. I'm just agreeing with him about what's mentioned above.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
He's defensive because people have just been completely ridiculous with their criticisms. The game is not "offensive", the humor is the same as DN3D and Bulletstorm is more "offensive" than this game. The character of Duke hasn't changed, he's the same egotistical pos. So acting like this is the most offensive un-funny game of all time is just ridiculous. It has typically juvenile humor in it, humor that we all found funny in 1996 (if we were out of diapers yet :p) but have really grown out of. You can't really blame the game for riding on DN3D's coattails as far as that is concerned.

My complaints about the game are largely gameplay/design related. The humor doesn't even close to offend me, and it even grabbed a couple of chuckles from me. The one liners don't even come close to offending me.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm not sure why you'd be so defensive about this game. I just blame the humor direction alone. The rest of the game looks very indie and average (a-okay I guess)

Because I think the game is getting a bum rap. The PC version is scoring higher, so I'm at least happy about that. With the texture load-in problems I've seen on the 360/PS3 I can understand why they score lower - but even then... not that low.

I'm defensive because of articles like the one quoted that are so unprofessional and factually incorrect. I'm defensive because I see people read that crap and without playing it, turn around and spout it like it were true. I'm defensive because I see the Politically Correct crowd rally against this game and act all offended when it's actually quite tame compared to things you see on regular television. I'm defensive because I read reviews that give this game a 3, lumping it in with crap that is just plain broken and amateurish.

This game has problems, but having played it I can say... it ain't that bad.

By the way... the commercial really isn't representative of the humour in the game. It's making a lot out of poo, when in reality, the poo jokes are over and done in the first 15 seconds of the game.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I've played up to the Duke Dome now. It does get better, but not much. One of my real gripes is that in almost every case, enemies just spawn on top of you. They don't feel like they're a part of the game world at all. I'm not encountering them, I'm walking into trigger after trigger - it's not always bad, but to use it as the almost exclusive enemy spawning mechanism makes it feel awful.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
That is how DN3D was though. If they weren't there already they just Teleported in on top of you. There were of course some exceptions to that, just like there is in this game, but most were either patroling a path/point or triggered.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm defensive because of articles like the one quoted that are so unprofessional and factually incorrect. I'm defensive because I see people read that crap and without playing it, turn around and spout it like it were true. I'm defensive because I see the Politically Correct crowd rally against this game and act all offended when it's actually quite tame compared to things you see on regular television. I'm defensive because I read reviews that give this game a 3, lumping it in with crap that is just plain broken and amateurish.

Fair enough.

I haven't played the game nor have I been following DN3D in recent times, all I recall was a super fast paced game featuring some yellow haired guy on steroids blasting away aliens, memorable quotes surfaced afterwards.

It just doesn't seem to be happening with this game..

Maybe this game could have done better with an actually better presentation, and visuals. I read many times that even though this game has been in development for many years from 3Drealm, it felt for many reviewers, as if Gearbox has duck-taped it all back together with what they had and shipped it.

I'm not here to bash the game, but the humor is just right down unfunny overall. I'd still give it a shot nonetheless.

And like I said, I don't think that guy has gotten any fame from his review.
BTW, I read this game has poor framerates. That's kinda sad if true, considering the visuals are no match to today's standards, nor UE2.5.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
[GU]elmur_fud;2520397 said:
That is how DN3D was though. If they weren't there already they just Teleported in on top of you. There were of course some exceptions to that, just like there is in this game, but most were either patroling a path/point or triggered.

I played through the original D3D games recently, and it isn't the same at all. The enemies are largely in the world, they very rarely get teleported into the scene or just appear right in front of you.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
The exact same jetpack using aholes do it in DN3D. With DN3D it also depends on the addons u have. As some of the addon levels do it more. Also I think in the n64 version for me there was almost a distinct lack of it for some reason so it may be ai dependent as to how often it happens.

I would say that up to the duke burger levels it happens a bit more then in DN3D but it thins out after that. Also seem to be more scripted sequence attacks. Like baddies visible from a distance through windows or whatever running towards you and given the time the jerks show up.

Edit: At some points in DN3D there spawn was event driven so if you did something in a manner that wasn't anticapated or took along time you. You might run into an enemy idling until you show up. 1 spot where u can't avoid seeing them spawn (that I ever found anyway) is the big room that the sewage tunnel runs down to that you are pushed into.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It isn't that there weren't guys teleporting in in DN3D. It's just that in DN3D there were guys just walking around in the world quite frequently. In DNF they almost always come in on a drop ship or teleport in.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
^ This. You never encounter enemies in DNF as if they were actually doing something. They're always being thrown at you in some wave-like manner, usually from painfully obvious spawn points, or jumping over walls.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
^ This. You never encounter enemies in DNF as if they were actually doing something. They're always being thrown at you in some wave-like manner, usually from painfully obvious spawn points, or jumping over walls.
I can think of a quite few times in the second half of the game where you see/hear evidence of an enemy before you engage. Besides that though, there's a lot of teleporting in and dropships... because they know where you are and are coming after you.

And aren't spawn points painfully obvious for experienced FPS players in almost every game of this type?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
[GU]elmur_fud;2520403 said:
The exact same jetpack using aholes do it in DN3D. With DN3D it also depends on the addons u have. As some of the addon levels do it more. Also I think in the n64 version for me there was almost a distinct lack of it for some reason so it may be ai dependent as to how often it happens.

I would say that up to the duke burger levels it happens a bit more then in DN3D but it thins out after that. Also seem to be more scripted sequence attacks. Like baddies visible from a distance through windows or whatever running towards you and given the time the jerks show up.

Edit: At some points in DN3D there spawn was event driven so if you did something in a manner that wasn't anticapated or took along time you. You might run into an enemy idling until you show up. 1 spot where u can't avoid seeing them spawn (that I ever found anyway) is the big room that the sewage tunnel runs down to that you are pushed into.

I didn't mind those jetpack tigers that much. The ones I couldn't stand were those machinegun lizards or along those lines. Straight in your face, full machinegun blast. Real bastards =]

And yeah, add-on maps. They always take the game to new heights. Either for the better, or many times for the worse. (it was like in Doom2 add-on maps -> pretty much sp map suffered from the same annoyance -> shrimp monsters would start teleporting in and naturally.. an archvile. Oh that was wonderful.)