DS vs PSP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DS vs PSP, which do you prefer?

• I prefer the DS

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I prefer the PSP

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I like them both, if the wallet allows it I might even get both

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I dislike both, going to get something else instead or I'll stick with my current handheld

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I won't buy a handheld, ever.

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
I agree that all these handheld consoles are cool, but truely would be a gimmick for me. I think l might stick it out and get one of these new sony products (by the way, doesn't sony just make the beautiful hardware?)

The GigaPocket
sony_hmp.jpg

sony_pva.jpg

sony_vaio_pocket.jpg

sony_u70_1.jpg

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
But in all honesty, if l was to choose between the two l would go the PSP as:

- Sony plans to use wireless networking not only for multiplayer between
PSP devices, but also to link the PSP with the next-generation home
console, PS3, and with wireless Internet "hot spots" to enable online
multiplayer and Internet communication functionality.

- To get around the problem of different providers opereating hotspots,
Sony is planning to negotiate with a wide range of hotspot providers to
create a unified "PSP Wireless Service", which would see users of the console
paying a single subscription fee which gives them access to hotspots
operated by a number of different providers, as well as a range of Sony
services.

- it is known that porting code from the PS2 to the PSP is extremely easy,
and in fact developers working on PSP titles in the UK have said that moving
their games and engines to the handheld system from the PS2 has turned out
to be a surprisingly simple task - even without full specification development
kits.

- Allow games to be played on the home systems, with saved games being
moved to the PSP so that play could be continued on the handheld system -
exploiting the fact that the PSP's hardware is broadly similar in specification
to the PS2.

- There's also a USB 2.0 port for connection to a digital camera or PC.

- The PSP has IrDA, too, and apparently ships with a remote control.

- Inside the box are stereo speakers - there's an earphone socket too -
and screen controls.

- 16:9 screen

- Almost 100 developers have pledged to support the handheld console.

But on the other hand, so l don't look like the sony fanboy that l am, the DS comes with:

- Offer a voice recognition capability.

- extract from the register "Indeed, Nintendo's discussion of the unit's power management system notes that "if the user receives a message from a friend or user nearby, DS activates itself from Standby mode" (our emphasis). So there's clearly some kind of instant messaging facility built into the device - again, it looks like Nintendo is thinking beyond the console to a more general youth-oriented communications device."

- Nintendo said the console will be able to link up to 15 others within a 30ft radius.

- another extract from the register "In addition to 802.11, the DS will use "Nintendo's proprietary communications protocol", which in addition to yielding "low battery consumption" has presumably been optimised for LAN gaming. It also supports the (presumably secure) transfer of game code from one device to another, so that not every handheld user needs to have bought the game on a card. This is a very interesting tactic, which - if developers support it - not only removes a key barrier to players making the most of WLAN gaming, but serves a demo service for the full game."

- Wi-Fi will come into play when the user wants to connect to a standard WLAN or the Internet, and Nintendo hinted at support for massively multiplayer games host on the Net.

- Nintendo noted its "PDA-like capabilities", again perhaps signalling broader roles for the machine than gaming.

Or hey, what if you want to be set apart from the crowd and buy a Gizmondo?
Yes thats right folks, heres a few screens:
gizmon1.jpg

gizmon3.jpg

specs:
The Gizmondo is based around a 2.8in 320 x 240 LCD display and a 400MHz ARM-based CPU - almost certainly an Intel XScale. The machine runs Windows CE, on top of which sits an operating environment developed by Intrinsyc Software, which also wrote the telephony and comms stacks.

Or the Zodiac

zodiac01.jpg

zodiac02.jpg

specs:
A 3.8 inch transflective screen at a resolution of 480 x 320
vibration for in-game rumbling
The Zodiac comes in two flavors; the Zodiac 1 with 32MB of system memory, and the Zodiac 2 with 128MB.

Meh, l'll stick with sony yet again...

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
2_seek_u, you forgot to list some things for the DS :p
Both DS and PSP have stereo, they both are arranging good support for internet hotspots (I'm not sure about Nintendo's though, I haven't heard of a subscription needed for the DS yet. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you could also use wireless lan-locations (such as my home :p or any university in Holland) to hop on the internet), both have alot of support from developers and both will have nifty programs.

Keiichi, haha Nintendo zealots? For having an opinion!? Haha, awesome move, Keiichi. Simply brilliant, not only do you insult, you also try to push your opinion as a fact. Thanks for reminding me who you are before I actually trust a word you say.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
2_SeeK_U said:
Kinda OT: Am I the only one who is anoyed with symbols being used as labes for buttons? I guess simply using a, b, c, ... or 1, 2, 3, ... like in the old days is not special enough and keeps FAQ writers at bay if they have to use descriptions like circle square ninedots waves which in turn rise sales of printed strategy guides or something... hey wait now I get it... it's a conspiraceyaheyahey by the titorists who want to make us speak in hieroglyphs so that we don't understand each other!:crazydance:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Up, up, down, down, left, right left, right Squiggly, circle, squiggly, circle, select, start....

Contra will never be the same... :(

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Rostam said:
Keiichi, haha Nintendo zealots? For having an opinion!? Haha, awesome move, Keiichi. Simply brilliant, not only do you insult, you also try to push your opinion as a fact. Thanks for reminding me who you are before I actually trust a word you say.

Yes, much as you like to point out that I'm a Sony fanboi and wave that proclaimation proudly like it's some sort of shocking development around here, you Rostam are a Nintendo zealot. If you need further proof, please recall where you boldly state that a touchscreen and voice recognition are more useful features in a handheld than more powerful hardware, a larger screen, and the ability to play MP3s and full-length DVD movies. And please recall the paragraph where you state, with apparent conviction, that playing Metroid with a stylus is something you've been waiting for for ages.

-Keiichi

Last edited:

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Look, if you don't want me to label you a Nintendo zealot, then put your money where your mouth is.

I've explained my position for the PSP and especially against the DS numerous times in this very thread. You still have yet to explain why the PSP will fail, beyond misinformation regarding it's battery life, size and music-playing capablities, or how the DS's gimmicks make it worthy of a purchase, except for citing a handful of special cases where features like dual screens, a touchscreen and voice recognition could be of some limited use, irregardless of whether they actually do the job better than traditional methods.

All PSP games will use it's more advanced hardware and larger screen, and most will likely take advantage of it's analog stick. Will all DS games use the dual screens, stylus and voice recognition software? Will the use of those features make games easier, more intuitive or better?

I don't think so, but by all means please enlighten me. Let me know how, after playing Metroid with a stylus, I'll never want to go back to using an analog stick again.

The whole concept of handhelds started as a desire to take your home consoles on the road with you. That's exactly what the PSP does and more. For all intents and purposes, it's a portable PS2. Even to the extent that, as 2_SeeK_U pointed out, you could transfer a save from your PS2 to your PSP and pick up where you left off miles from home. Yes, alot of PSP games will likely be ports of PS2 games that people have already played. But then, almost all GBA games are ports of NES, SNES, Genesis or SegaCD games that people have already played. The fact is, people don't care. They'll buy them anyway just for the convenience of being able to play their favorite games away from home. Hell, I know I'd be overjoyed to play a little GT4 on my next summer roadtrip, even if I did already have it for the PS2...

Incidentally, GameSpot's got a good video demonstration of the PSP that compares it side-by-side with a GBA as well as some footage of Gran Turismo 4 Mobile in action HERE. If that doesn't put to rest any complaints regarding the size and capabilities of the PSP, I don't know what will...

-Keiichi

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I guess you missed the big old directional pad on the DS ???

Or the fact that Metroid with touch-screen control was a mere demonstration of what the touch-screen/stylys can do instead of a demonstration of a real game that was meant to be used in that mode only ?

What is Sony going to do when they want to add PDA-style apps to their PSP ?
Nintendo could sell the DS as a PDA that could play decent games or a portable game-system that's useful as a PDA and for surfing the internet ...

If you're just looking at those things as pure portable game-devices then there's not much stuff that's innovative or different in either device (except the dual screen feature).
If you look at them as a portable device then the DS does have the advantage of being capable of more than a mere games and media-player.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
If that doesn't put to rest any complaints regarding the size and capabilities of the PSP, I don't know what will...

But the compatability was not much of an issue in this discussion. I think we all understand that the games will run nice. But a big part of sony games touch on all the senses and not just the visual and physical. PLaying metal gear solid or GT4 on a bus just isn't the same as in your home with the lights dimmed and at full blast. Audio cues for shifting, tense music etc are lost.

Mario 3 whether at home or in a cafeteria is the full experience of Mario 3. There's a difference. Typically, I can't play a portable game for more than 7 minutes without an interuption. Most GBA games are not dynamic enough for short lapses in time to cause me to lose my footing in a game. I do'nt want to be forced to shoo people away just to focus on my game. I want to be able to shut it off when I want. Ps2 games don't really allow for that. (I'm sure it has a stand by function but I never trust those things, I put it on stand by and my batteries GONE!)

Of course, sony WILL make "on the go" oriented games but that's just not their style. Their style is the big blockbuster games. Nintendo has mastered sucking up the rest of the market.

As for the stylus and other gimmicks. Nintendo has done well with gimmicks. They come up with features that everyone wonders what they'll do with i but end up actually coming out with great titles that use the technology. Granted, there's not many games that will use these gimmicks a whole lot but the ones that will I'm confident will serve their purpose well. People questioned the four player ports on the n64, and this "gimmick" produced Golden eye, mario party and whacky sports games that we're quite succesful.

Sony has always lagged in this department and quite frankly will be the death of them (in the hand held world). The game machine/ DVD player concept for the ps2 was a flop as the picutre quality was nutters. And at the time, the DVD player gimmick (which it is becaus majority of the games don't NEED to be on DVD) was a huge selling point for a lot of my friends as they needed a DVD player. I forsee that same disappointement with the music aspect of the psp. The original Pocket play station in Japan was a huge flop. The Dream cast memory cards (essentially the same thing) were even a better success. Sony Makes great games but crappy hardware features.

Though you brush off Nintendos attempts to liven up their gaming experience so quickly, You fail to realize that not all of us want a one stop appliance. Sony is Adament about amalgamating all their prodcuts into super products in order to fuel this "Mine's Bigger" attitude we're supposed to all have. I'm just looking for a new gaming experience. I mean How many versions of the same RPGs, action games and racers do we need to play before developers start looking for new ways to make games?

Like I, and many others here have said, I'm looking for a pocket machine with pocket games. Not mini sized playstation/Game Cube/Xbox or whatever games. Those are for home.

whew, ok, I'm not blasting you keichii, you jus seem so heated about so many facts (which all seem to check out btw ;) ) While your overwhelming case on the PSPs uberness is quite well put, most of us just do'nt want that. and I think that's what Sony is overlooking. Nintendo seems to know what it is people want in a video game handheld and I feel they're closer to delivering. Like a lot of people have stated "why get the psp for X feature when Y product has X feature even better?". Nintendo's features are unique and therefore there's no competition. The multi function aspect of the psp makes it compete against MANY appliances (like PDAs with music and video capabilities as well as the DS) which it has no chance of ever beating. as the old saying goes, Jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Just a quick note.

Metal Gear: Acid, the PSP game, is not a port of MGS2, and is apparently shaping up to be sort of an RPG/RTS game, last I checked.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
chuckus said:
But the compatability was not much of an issue in this discussion. I think we all understand that the games will run nice. But a big part of sony games touch on all the senses and not just the visual and physical. PLaying metal gear solid or GT4 on a bus just isn't the same as in your home with the lights dimmed and at full blast. Audio cues for shifting, tense music etc are lost.

That's what headphones are for.

Mario 3 whether at home or in a cafeteria is the full experience of Mario 3. There's a difference. Typically, I can't play a portable game for more than 7 minutes without an interuption. Most GBA games are not dynamic enough for short lapses in time to cause me to lose my footing in a game. I do'nt want to be forced to shoo people away just to focus on my game. I want to be able to shut it off when I want. Ps2 games don't really allow for that. (I'm sure it has a stand by function but I never trust those things, I put it on stand by and my batteries GONE!)

Apparently I'm not as hardcore a gamer as you are, because I'm never so desperate to play a game that I'll pull out a GBA in a place where I know I'm going to be interupted every 5 minutes.

I use handhelds primarily for vacations; times when I'm stuck in a car for 8 hours or in a plane for 2 hours or in a hotel late at night with nothing to do. In those situations, it doesn't matter how dynamic a game is. In fact, the more in-depth a game is, the better.

Like I, and many others here have said, I'm looking for a pocket machine with pocket games. Not mini sized playstation/Game Cube/Xbox or whatever games. Those are for home.

Then perhaps the DS isn't for you either, since "GameCube-style" games seem to be exactly where Nintendo is heading with it. Unless you think that games like Metroid Prime: Hunters, Super Mario 64x4 and Mario Kart DS are "pocket" games. And if so, what distinguishes them from "dynamic blockbuster" games like Metal Gear: Acid, Armored Core: Formula Front and Gran Turismo 4 Mobile?

And irregardless, I guess we'll just have to disagree then, because the one thing that I really miss when on long trips, aside from my computer, are my consoles. I'd be a lier if I said I never thought about throwing my PS2 or Xbox in the trunk and carting them off with me. With the PSP, I can do just that.

And I guess we'll see what games gamers prefer in handhelds when the PSP and DS go head to head. Like I said previously, no one has really been able to play current-gen games on a handheld before. It might surprise you which style people go for when given the choice.

-Keiichi

Last edited:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
And I guess we'll see what games gamers prefer in handhelds when the PSP and DS go head to head. Like I said previously, no one has really been able to play current-gen games on a handheld before. It might surprise you which style people go for when given the choice.

That is very true. And as for Nintendo, yes they will port Game cube games as well but I assume they will make many games that are DS specific and I'd probably buy those. My problem is I don't see Sony making those non-fullsized console bangers (or well anyway). But like you said, maybe the publics interest for those will fade with the new hardware.

Apparently I'm not as hardcore a gamer as you are, because I'm never so desperate to play a game that I'll pull out a GBA in a place where I know I'm going to be interupted every 5 minutes.

I use handhelds primarily for vacations; times when I'm stuck in a car for 8 hours or in a plane for 2 hours or in a hotel late at night with nothing to do. In those situations, it doesn't matter how dynamic a game is. In fact, the more in-depth a game is, the better.

I use my GBA (when I have a good game for it) in the way most people use pong on their cell phone. Where I am in Montreal, it's not uncommon to see teenagers and 40 year old women a-like whipping out their GBA on the bus and playing for a couple of minutes on the commute home. That's the demographic I fit in and am referring to. And your snide little comment at the top makes you seem just that much more mature. :rolleyes: You twist words around worse than my girlfriend!! :eek:

I still stand by my comment on Sony's (and almost everyone's at this point) policy on trying to make all in one systems. I think it's a bad approach to technology of this sort since your trying to keep things on a budget. I can understand having multifunctions for a top of the line pocket PC but for a PSP that's trying to maintain low costs, the features it's going for tend to be somewhat of a let down. No amount of facts will change my mind on that. Everyone oohhed and ahhhhed at the DVD player in the ps2 and when they finally got it we're surprisingly disappointed.

Last edited:

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
I've also being looking around for a UMD drive for my computer, not to copy the games but to put my movies on UMD disks to whatch, and have only found bloody korean websites with the drive. I can't even begin to imagin where l would get the disks from or how much they would cost. Here a dual layered disc costs me $15-$20 AUD. UMD's would probably cost $30-$40..... stuff that!

I still rather the PSP though, just so l can play wipe out.

The DS disc are the HD DVD's aren't they?

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
The DS disc are the HD DVD's aren't they?
Until that comment I was pretty sure the DS used cartridges, but now you make me doubt :-/
I think I read it somewhere on IGN... But by the time I find it again in there I'm sure someone else has the answer.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
If it wants to be backward-compatible with the GBA-series then it has to use cartridges or at least offer a cartridge-interface in addition to whatever new format the DS is going to use.

If there is one reason why the PSP is going to succeed then it's the amount of money they can stuff in advertising the thing. They probably can sell a turd with the Sony PSP-logo to all the fanboys out there and still succeed.

Nintendo otoh has been pretty quiet ... I'd almost say invisible when it comes to advertising anything they've made. IMHO that is going to be more of an issue than the 'gimmicks' the DS offers.

salad

Dallas Tosses Salads
Oct 23, 2003
www.dallastossessalads.com
JaFo, there are 2 slots. One for the new DS games and one for older GBA games. The GBA slot is also an expansion slot of sorts. There are tons of articles on those features and a few others. They've also got videos and screenshots of several DS games available. It's hardly hush-hush.