DS vs PSP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DS vs PSP, which do you prefer?

• I prefer the DS

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I prefer the PSP

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I like them both, if the wallet allows it I might even get both

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I dislike both, going to get something else instead or I'll stick with my current handheld

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I won't buy a handheld, ever.

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Just wondering which of the 2 you guys prefer. As for me, the DS by far. With plenty of great games already anounced for it, as well as a heck load of features and the ability to play GBA games really made my decision a quicky.
In fact, I am going to get 2 DS's, one for me and one for my mom's birthday. She is travels by train alot, atleast twice a day to a her work and back, and a little something to play for 5 minutes would be fun for her.

I was interested in the PSP for about 2 seconds. I read about it playing movies, music and having excellent visual quality. I thought maybe by getting the PSP I wouldn't need to get a new mp3 player. Then I found out it has a short battery life, and doesn't play music anymore. So that was the end of the PSP for me. The big, clumsy design, as well as the games library just doesn't cut it for me. It's not what I'm looking for.

DS will come out a bit earlier than the PSP too, hopefully me it will come out soon enough for my mother's birthday. It's going to be hard, because the DS has been announced early 2005 for Europe and my mother's birthday is in January.... But she won't mind waiting a bit I think :)

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Gotta love it when your head starts to throb from that ****ty screen!!! Argh... but I was so jealous when my bro got one and I got the game boy. I wanted a color screen so bad..... and a "portable" game machine the size of a skateboard... :D

btw, I found it while I was unpacking to paint my appartment this weekend. The sonic game was the most putrid gmae in the history of sonic. Almost just as bad as sonic pinball :(

Last edited:

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Rostam said:
I was interested in the PSP for about 2 seconds. I read about it playing movies, music and having excellent visual quality. I thought maybe by getting the PSP I wouldn't need to get a new mp3 player. Then I found out it has a short battery life, and doesn't play music anymore. So that was the end of the PSP for me. The big, clumsy design, as well as the games library just doesn't cut it for me. It's not what I'm looking for.

ds_screen001.jpg

sony_psp.jpg

What was that about "big, clumsy design"?

As for the battery life, I've seen people toss out quotes of "2-3 hours" like it was fact, when the fact is that Sony has made no such announcement. In fact, if CNN and C|NET are to be believed, "Gamers should be able to play for roughly 10 hours before recharging the device's lithium-ion battery, people using the PSP as a music player will be able to listen for approximately eight hours, and when it's used as a portable movie player, the battery will last 2.5 hours." Get that? 2-3 hours when it's used as a portable DVD player! And just for the record, 2-3 hours for a portable DVD player is pretty much standard (my actual portable DVD player only has a battery life of 3 hours).

There's also the fact that the screen size is signifigantly larger and brighter than the DS's and it's got a hell of a lot more horsepower under the hood (PS2 quality graphics in a handheld?!). Plus it's got games like Metal Gear, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy being produced for it.

And I've heard nothing about it being unable to play music anymore. Please provide a credible source.

I'm sure the DS will succeed, if for no other reason than because of the Nintendo brandname alone (as long as Nintendo doesn't screw up by, for instance, not putting a backlit screen on it or forgetting to include a headphone jack). But the PSP spanks the crap out of it in my book.

-Keiichi

Last edited:

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Those pics are way out of proportion, the PSP wouldn't fit in my pocket. I still haven't seen anything to protect the display against scratches, and I know all the other stuff you posted as well but it's not at all what I'm looking for.
Alot of people will see it as another woohoo mine is faster and bigger I guess, but I still haven't heard anyone give a good reason to get it other than metal gear and final fantasy (which are fun, but not something I will want to play on the go).

I've seen a nice trailer of metroid for the DS, where it almost had gamecube visual quality, trust me the hardware is powerful enough to keep the games coming without problems. Not much more to it for me.

I'm not going to post the link of where I heard it won't play music anymore because it won't be "credible" to you anyway, so I'll do us both a favour and leave this one out.

I don't want this to turn in to a fanboy fight, and with that tone you started off with it sure sounds like something your looking for. Still I know you good enough to know more than just that.
I would like it though if you would show me some more stuff as of why "the PSP spanks the crap out of it".

As for me, I'll start with a list of features that I really like. I know the PSP has some, too:
- Touchscreen (heh, I read about a few games that use this technology very well, like a game where you must draw japanese symbols as fast and accurate as possible. If they bunch up an amount of similar games like that in to one cartridge I'm sold)
- Mic. input
- 2 screens
- Cartridges
- GBA games compatible
- WiFi
- Sexy retro look to finish it off (although this one must be the least important feature)

I believe Nintendo have sorted everything out pretty well making all of the above features work well together, leading to the all important reason as of why I think the DS will kick major ass: Fun.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
if i had to buy one i would buy a DS because i dont see the interest in the PSP...
playing grand turismo or final fantasy... the psp is a playstation you can take , while the DS seems to have a strong concept and some good games that use the "dual screen" concept.

edit: and i have already a playstation and no gamecube :D

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Rostam said:
Those pics are way out of proportion, the PSP wouldn't fit in my pocket.

Granted, I don't have any concrete specs regarding the precise dimensions of the new DS design, but the PSP is only 6.6" wide, 2.9" high and 0.9" thick. That's shorter and thinner than the GBA and only 1.3" longer. So, if a GBA can fit in your pocket, so can a PSP.

I still haven't seen anything to protect the display against scratches,

That would be what the case is for.

and I know all the other stuff you posted as well but it's not at all what I'm looking for.
Alot of people will see it as another woohoo mine is faster and bigger I guess, but I still haven't heard anyone give a good reason to get it other than metal gear and final fantasy (which are fun, but not something I will want to play on the go).

And I still haven't heard anyone give a good reason for needing a touchscreen, a microphone and voice-recognition software on a DS.

I'm not going to post the link of where I heard it won't play music anymore because it won't be "credible" to you anyway, so I'll do us both a favour and leave this one out.

There is no "credible to me". There's credible and there's not credible. Either it's an official statement from Sony or it's rumor and gossip from a no-name fansite.

I would like it though if you would show me some more stuff as of why "the PSP spanks the crap out of it".

Well, let's see. There's...

More powerful hardware
Larger screen
Useful features like the ability to play mini-DVD movies

Need I go on?

Yes, dual screens, a touchscreen, a microphone; it's all very nice. But how much use is it? I don't ever recall anyone saying to themselves, "Wow, this game is great and all, but wouldn't it be better if you could control the character with a stylus? Or use voice commands to move him around the screen?"

They're gimmicks, nothing more. You might take advantage of them once in a blue moon, if that, but it's just another case of Nintendo inventing a solution for a problem no one had.

The PSP, on the other hand, packs features that are actually useful from a serious standpoint. You get a powerful handheld game machine, a music player and a portable DVD player all rolled into one. And I don't see how a touchscreen and a microphone can compare.

That, in a nutshell, is why I think the PSP "spanks the crap out of it."

-K1

Last edited:

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
Unless I can burn my own mini-DVD (for a [very] low price), the feature is pointless. That's actually a question...

And the PSP is slightly too big, my PocketPC at 4.46" x 2.75" x 0.5" is just fine, but it get's bulky and uncomfortable once it's in it's case. Are those size (6.6" wide, 2.9" high and 0.9" thick) with or without the case (and if without, how much does it actually add?)?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
'useful' features like watching a dvd on a tiny screen ... for 2-3 hours ?
So you've got to change batteries after watching Lord of the Rings ?
Never mind that you won't be able to read subtitles at that size ...

// what use are voice-recognition, touch-screen ?
it beats adding a (mini)keyboard on the psp ... plus there's more chance of seeing proper support in software if everyone has it.
Wifi, ... USB camera, a GPS device and a keyboard ...
yeah ... like those are real useful, eh ?
btw :
What use is Wifi on a handheld device ?

And what music format is Sony using ?
I'd say the chances are that it's atrac (sp? as used in their minidisks ... ) instead of the industry-standards like .mp3 or .ogg ...
sweet ... yet another day wasted in converting my library of music to yet another format and keeping my harddisk filled with the same library just to fill my handheld musicplayer with music.
At least they're already trying this kind of stuff with their new mini-disc-players ...

Last edited:

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Need I go on?
Yes. It's a portable, it doesn't need top notch hardware. It does not need a huge screen, it does not need a DVD player. Granted if you can make it, why not. But right now it goes against the idea of portable for being so large. I can't find the previous I used to see how big it was, but someone was holding it in his hands and it looked about twice the size of my wallet. Perhaps not in all 3 dimensions, but it still wouldn't fit in my pocket.

Yes, dual screens, a touchscreen, a microphone; it's all very nice. But how much use is it? I don't ever recall anyone saying to themselves, "Wow, this game is great and all, but wouldn't it be better if you could control the character with a stylus? Or use voice commands to move him around the screen?"
Actually those are features I've been waiting for for ages. Stuff like the eye toy are the future, all we need are some people actually making decent games for them. If you look at the support the DS has from other companies, it's a fact that lots of games will have those features built in in a smart way.
Have you ever played rainbowsix 3 and used the mic. to give your team voice commands? It wasn't implented very well IMO, but it was still an awesome feature. It made me feel so much more like a leader.
They could have made one giant screen instead of 2 screens, but then there would be more problems. First of all they would need alot better hardware, right now they have GBA hardware for one and some better hardware for the other screen IIRC. That means it's cheap. It's also easier to code this way, and lets not forget if it would be just one screen, it wouldn't close anymore and the size would be huge.
The touchscreen is awesome, tons of mini games supporting it. From silly things like pumping up and down to make a balloon pop to Metroid where you can aim using the touchscreen (which still needs some work, but the idea is there).

The PSP, on the other hand, packs features that are actually useful from a serious standpoint. You get a powerful handheld game machine, a music player and a portable DVD player all rolled into one. And I don't see how a touchscreen and a microphone can compare.
Better hardware is good and all for PC's, but it's different for consoles and espescially different for portables. Let's not forget that both the xbox and gamecube are more powerful than the PS2, yet the PS2 is still most popular for a reason. The DVD and music thing sounds good, but they come on discs, right? Doesn't that mean you have to buy everything you want to have on your PSP over again? Or can you burn the CD's and then play it?
As for the music, I get my info at www.darkzero.net . It's a reliable site, I even became a reviewer there.

They're gimmicks, nothing more. You might take advantage of them once in a blue moon, if that, but it's just another case of Nintendo inventing a solution for a problem no one had.
And this is where I must say that what you are saying is complete bollocks. It's not inventing a solution for a problem no one had, it is using current technology to enhance gameplay. Those things are not just gimmicks, if they were they would just call it the next generation GameBoy and get some money out of it.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I'm going to throw in a torch here. Who the hell needs all these gizmos anyway? Do you really need to play games where ever you are? Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I just don't get it.

A friend of mine, well, a friend of my brother actually, has a computer at home which he mostly uses for gaming. In addition to that he has a Gamcube, a Playstation 2, the Xbox and the good old Playstation 1 which he brings out on occations. A Nintendo 64 sits in his closet collecting dust. He downloads 2 or 3 new games to his cellphone every week and now he tells me he's getting both of these "new and hot and very cool" devices. Now that's what I call addiction.

Nope, I'm not getting either of those. I have a computer which I use for gaming. Why would I want to spend money on something that can't possibly compete with what I have at home? I bought a new cellphone a few months back. I doubt I ever will, but if I find myself in a situation away from home where I just HAVE to play a game, I'll just play whatever is on my phone. If I'm going to put any money towards gaming it's going into upgrades for my computer, not some "new and hot and very cool" thingy so that I can sit on a train or a bus and play some shabby game on a crappy screen with lousy graphics. My cellphone already does that if the need should arise. I can understand people who wants a Gamecube or Playstation 2 or whatever to play games you don't see on a PC, but no, not one of those mentioned above.

But hey, that's just me. And Me likes to play other games, like the devil's advocate. Or I could just be old. I'll let you know when I find out.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Almost, I considered buying a PocketPC only to read books while waiting for my bus. I ended up using my father's one for now, but I may buy one. Never underestimate the power of boredom :p

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Yes Almost, Freon is 100% correct. School is boring, waiting for school is boring. Traveling to score is boring, traveling back is boring, waiting for people is boring and so much more.

There is a big difference in wanting something to keep you busy while getting to your destination and being obsessed. I think I am one of the few last people at my school that only uses his mobile phone to be reachable or call every now and then. All others are SMS-addicts and keep downloading **** on it. Their choice, of course.

I wasn't going to get a GBA, ever. Mainly because I like relaxing, but sometimes I feel I am relaxing too much (hehe, earned the nickname Zombie for a reason) and then I want to do something. Something to get me the hell out of the crappy place I am in, waiting for it to be over so I can get on with my life and do things I like. Which makes the DS perfect for me. For longer travels (I travel alot) the GBA slot in it may come in handy as I can stay busy for longer.

What's the difference between reading a newspaper in the morning train or listening to some music or playing on a handheld anyway? We all have our preferences.... that's all.

edit:
Not to mention people like me work alot, to gain experience, to have fun and to have something else to do than the rest of the week. All that money needs to be spend, as money itself is no good at all. Might as well spend it on something new, refreshing and useful instead of the same old same old.

Last edited:

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
Yeah, but with a PocketPC, you'll be able to read books, listen to music or movie and play games (and have all the feature of a PDA and a lot of a desktop OS).

With a DS/PSP, you'll have the games and ... that's it. You're not going to buy DVD movie or music that can only be played on the PSP (or other Sony's device) and all the DS's gimmics are mostly pointless. You won't be able to use the stylus and the pad/buttons at the same time (try using any controller or handheld device with one hand while pressing on it with a stick) so it'll be nothing more then a gimmic. I've played game on my PocketPC with the stylus and for some, it did work well (RTS games, a tennis game). But I'm not sure that the DS's screens are big enough (couldn't care less that there are two of them, you should control the action on the same screen you are playing).

And voice recognition on an handheld? Who the hell thought of that? If you're using it, odds are you'll be in a rather noisy place, I can't wait to see some idiot screaming at his DS. I can't see much point for Wifi on an haldheld either. I'm sure it won't come with an internet browser or support for major IM client, so you'll be stuck playing multiplayer game with nobody.

The PSP will probably end up costing way too much for an handheld console and most DS feature are pointless. I'll keep playing (S)NES/PS/GB*/GameGear/... emulator on my PocketPC when I'm bored. To each his own I guess...

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
List of DS announced games here
There are others in development that aren't announced there.

Also, there is some software announced for it that will turn your DS in to an organiser, which is pretty damned sweet because I even forget things like eating. My mobile phone helped me so far with that, though.

You won't be able to use the stylus and the pad/buttons at the same time (try using any controller or handheld device with one hand while pressing on it with a stick) so it'll be nothing more then a gimmic
:con:
You can't press the A and the B button on the xbox controller at the same time, either, or the A and the B button on the gamecube at the same time. In fact the only things you can press at any time are the triggers on any controller, the same is for the DS. Your thumbs do the button pressing and moving, your fingers the holding and the trigger pressing.
Seriously, that was a silly remark. Don't you think game developpers will think of that before making the controls? Not much fun in a game when you can't play it...

Last edited:

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
A stylus, used alone is limited. You'll be controlling a game with a one button mouse. Doesn't mean you can't do anything, but most game that will use it will do so for mini-games or very simple things. Hence why I call it gimmics. It just doesn't seem very interesting to me (meaning that I don't see why I should waste any more money on it compared to a GBA, not that I would buy one either though).

You can't press the A and the B button on the xbox controller at the same time, either, or the A and the B button on the gamecube at the same time.
Haven't played either in months, but those gamepads suck then. :p You could press A and B at the same time on a NES controller 20 years ago.

Last edited: