Dream come true (vehicle)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

conscripted

Mar 1, 2004
australia
hages.net
when you look at the intro charactors, you see facial articulation, a few dozen bones aren't really that much of a big deal to get a mech walking. I've done some experimenting with mechs aswell, so its good to see Im not alone (did see a mech pak, that was really good). if you want your detail back, start looking at texturing fake detail, if any surface has an indented shape (your lower legs look like they do) then you can just paint a texture to fake that and regain a few faces, do that al over the model and you can save a large amount.
also, it looks like you might have columns for your pistons, if you've got more than about 10 triangulated faces for the outer surface (not including caps), you can probaly afford to cut back, and for those tiny tow pistons, they could go down to 6 tri faces for the outer surfce, as they're tiny details..

don't know if you know this already, but you need soft/harden normal node(s) on the object before you export it from maya (this is obvious on the model). completly planar faces still usually show an edge, put it on 5 degrees and all flat faces will stay that way.

great work though. (Im going to be very busy next semster making war vehicles - cant wait)

CIpen

May 12, 2004
don't know if you know this already, but you need soft/harden normal node(s)

Yes I did soft/harden them, they are just all hard :D I'll do more on the model once the code works.

Update:Here you can see the feet are flush with the ground.

Attachments

• Shot00007.jpg
    Shot00007.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 238

CIpen

May 12, 2004
It's getting there, I got it to animate when it's moving forward and to stop animating when it's not moving forward. Having the turret on top with the player stuck to it? I decided to hold off on that, so I made a bucket for the player to lounge in. The feet go through the floor(clearly) but that is because I've got the repulsors all messed up. The only thing holding it above ground right now is the collision box.

Yes, the model still needs to be smoothed out and the feet need to be tweeked more. :mad: :( :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Shot00011.jpg
    Shot00011.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 178

MikeMaster

Dec 14, 2003
Yes everything so far look very sweet!!! How about a skin? Make a good skin too!

Can't wait for it mate :)

-EDIT- When it's finished, I could feature it on my website if u like and make it for download there.

Last edited:

THEKILLA

May 29, 2004
well maby you can make the players feet go forward in stead of down ya know but thats really nice and if that got a good skin on it, it would be the bomb

oh yea and i agree with radiosity on that one it would look a lot better and less cumbersome if the torso was turned around 180 degrees :man: :rockon: :404: lol

Last edited:

CIpen

May 12, 2004
It needs much tweeking, I already know that.
Many thanks to Mr. Evil for the repulsor bone attachment.

You can get a vid of the progress right here .

CIpen

May 12, 2004
Here's the latest:
i114781Shot00016.jpg

I'm not to good with making textures with a mouse so I'm holding that for the end.

CIpen

May 12, 2004
Now I'm getting the ammo chain ragdoll to simulate correctly..

i114781Mech_with_rag.jpg

Easy fun stuff.

CIpen

May 12, 2004
Absolutely, I've released a beta. I've not been working on the mech lately because I've been helping a mod out. I made a deal with a mod that if I fixed them up with some cool vehicle code that they would do a skin for me.

Dude I have made so much stuff since I lasted posted here. I made a centinel, made the hammer...

I need a good mapper though. That's what I could use, but there isn't anyone left after the mod draft.... I've even used maya's motion paths to make an animating chain....

you can see a pic here

I don't think your local lexus dealer carries one of these, hehe.

If you call UnWheel good vehicle code then what I've got working for UD is nothing short of revolutionary. The sad thing is, is that it's not that I'm better at typing if(a==b), it's that I know what my code does(i.e. my racecar goes around sharp curves like a racecar and not like like an ONSRV).

I've looked, there just isn't anyone around. The only thing I've ever gotten from the unreal community is through bartering (with exception of Mr Evil). There was a guy interesting in making a zion battle scene map, and he made a little bit of it, but I haven't talked with him in over a month.....

I don't know what else to do.... :(

Wanna see the cool chain I did for the big red door in zion? I don't think anyone has gotten something to animate like it in unreal.
here it is

It's got a simple class so you can see it animate in a map, or you can just import the .ukx and see it in ued.....

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
I guess it's at least 80% marketting. :)

Are you going on creating the vehicle as stand-alone mutator/object to add to maps, or for a fully fledged mod?

If you've not already pimped it over at PolyCount and the Atari forums, I don't know where else you'd go to look for people these days.

Shame GamerForums and Identity Crisis forums are no more.

With the skinning, do you have reference image and a near final UV flat(s)?

I've been skinning UT stuff for ages, but have not done any vehicle projects for a while, if you're in need of a skinner. :)

Give me a shout, If it's not a huge 2048^2 sized skinmap, I'll give it a shot. :D

BTW, the footer is old, I am doing UT2004 stuff, with a site to launch soon. Just nothing there to update the footer for yet :)

Last edited:

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
I personally would not be able to create anything resembling Zion (at least I don't think so), but the underground passages and landscape above ground would be interesting. It actually wouldn't be very difficult to make a Matrix-style set of maps, but I'd need diagrams and concepts (AKA movie stills) as well as some custom Smeshes (that I could not personally make) to make things look movie-like.

Depends on how far you want to go with this sort of project. Let me know. ;)

Last edited:

CIpen

May 12, 2004
Well, I don't want a mod because a mod is just to much.

I've already got lots of stuff made just for the map. I've got the crane, big chain that opens the big zion door, hammer ship model, mech, cent,.....