1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

disturbingly differing dynamic displacement damage system of differentiatable doom

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by yurch, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Vahlemon

Vahlemon RRROOOOAAAARRR!!!!

Eh, would be willing to make the effort too, but...

Got absolutely no experience in nearly anything related to mods/mutties and stuff so.... unless someone learns me ;P

2. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Can I get a look at your code yurch? I'm hesitating to take this into my hands because of the complexity. I'll need to judge on the state of the actuall code. But if it's tweaking cylinder positions and size for different position, I could do that with NT's help.

3. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Tweaking/adding cylinders (states?) is all I could really ask for. The rest isn't worth messing with. Don't feel pressured to do anything, it's very possible that there is something wrong with the system which might be making all of this a waste of time. :hmm:
    Unfortunately, there's no assurances.

Code is attached. (although for further reference, ued allows exporting of .ucc files)

BSProj.uc is the main concern. You'll note a series of if statements, plus somewhere around 7-14 function calls for each section. (note it's done seperately for bots)
    Any additions should also be made to insanityscope.uc, which was added as an afterthought, but allows you to visualize shape centerpoints for easy spotting of errors.

The functions all look like this:
    bHitCylinder( Other, HitLocation, 8, 4.000, 0, 20, 14, rot( -3072, 0, 0 ), "lowertorso" )

The vars are: (after the mandatory target actor and hitlocation)
    float cylSize, float cylOffset, int tgtRot,
    float height, float Zpos, rotator cylRot, string bodyPart

although the shapes are no longer cylinders (and the system has evolved in other ways as well), they still follow the same definition.

cylSize is the radius. Since the shapes have spheres as thier endpoints, this means a cylinder with a large radius will extend much further past it's height.

tgtRot is a one dimension rotation; it is used with cylOffset to define the shape's center point in the circular 2d plane in a sort of 'polar' coordinate system.

height is the height of the target shape in question. It does not account for the radius and therefore is the length of the cylinder part of the shape. It is not to be confused with the height of UT 'hit' actors, which apparently is only half of the cylinder.

Zpos is the height of the shape relative to the playermodel. This starts at the midpoint of the playermodel's normal collision zone. Used with tgtRot and cylOffset to create the final 3d position of the shape reletive to the player.

Cylrot is the rotation of the shape. Lifted straight out of UED if I remember correctly.

Note that UT rotations go from 0-65535 in integers, so it is nessesary to convert from radians or degrees.
    Most of this stuff can be lifted from UED, but part has to be converted from x,y,z postitons to the 'polar' style. We posted several maps that we used for reference earlier in the thread if you remember. I can show people how to get these numbers if required.

Believe it or not, this was far easier than previous systems.

Attached Files:

4. geogob

Incredible work yurch. this is far easier than I thought, Indeed.

I'd be willing to pick that up if NT is still willing to give me a hand with the testing. I've looked at your code and it's all pretty clear. I also that that it would be "fairly" easy to add vital organs like that heart for insta kills like the head. I could work with some RL military to identify some of the "sweet" spots.

Anyway, yurch, if I do take that over, I hope you'll still be available for questions. I've already have a few...

-What's the limit of cylinder per position/model you can have?
    -For the position bool test, where you check for prone, crouch, leaning, etc. could it be possible to add a condition for looking up, down or straing? (e.g. what's the variable/class to check?)

oh and lmao at this:
    heheh :lol:

In all it's a very nice system you got there... seems very clean to me. So you really got lazy on that one lol.

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

No feasable limit to cyl checks per position. Performance is the only concern, and we haven't had any problems with slightly larger numbers of cyls with previous systems. The checks only happen at isolated times, so go nuts really.

To be honest I don't know where the lookdown/lookup anim is dependant on at the moment.

We wanted to do a spine and chest cavity... but it's not like the current version is accepted by players as it stands. The real work is getting all the damn cylinders straight.

6. NTKB

NTKB Banned

Roger that geo we will work on whatever you want when ready. Lets get BS FINAL out the door ASAP! BUG FREE!

7. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Before adding any fancy enhancement like vital organs, i really hope you guys can crack the prone bugs, which are atm the main weakness of the mutie. Oh, and it'd be cool if you could give a better self-explanatory name to it, something like hitdetections.
    Anyway best of luck.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  8. geogob

Of course... well get that all cleared up and after I'll do some fancy enhancements.

@ yurch, that ok for the up/down looking. Beppo, perhaps you could help me on that one. It's on of the major problem i've obeserved with BS4. If I could add a check for up/down looking that would solve many problems.

NT, that's great. I'll setup a new installation of INF/UT (or rather I'll make a copy of the 3 Gb one I already have) for developpement purposes. I'll start hunting down the bugs we have already identified. I'm also going to put up my CVS server again for this, so if there is a problem we can rollback to any previous modification, and that while keeping the same file names.

I'm quite happy with that because this is the kind of project I always wanted to do for INF... and it's a good starting one too.

9. geogob

EDIT: nm... my cvs is fucking up binary data... grr :hmm:

yurch, I'm getting compiling errors with the textures. What do you make of this?

Code:
    [...]
    --------------------bulletsounds4--------------------
    Analyzing...
    Parsing itemTracerBlue
    Parsing itemTracerCounter
    Parsing itemTracerCounter5
    Parsing itemTracerCounter7
    Parsing itemTracerGreen
    Parsing itemTracerPurple
    Parsing itemTracerRed
    Parsing insanityScope
    Parsing BSNotify
    Bad image format for texture import
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\Tracer9mmGreen.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(3) : ExecWarning
    , Import texture Tracer9mmGreen from TEXTURES\Tracer9mmGreen.PCX failed
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\Tracer9mmPurple.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(4) : ExecWarning
    , Import texture Tracer9mmPurple from TEXTURES\Tracer9mmPurple.PCX failed
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\Tracer9mmRed.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(5) : ExecWarning
    , Import texture Tracer9mmRed from TEXTURES\Tracer9mmRed.PCX failed
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\Tracer9mmBlue.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(6) : ExecWarning
    , Import texture Tracer9mmBlue from TEXTURES\Tracer9mmBlue.PCX failed
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\fglow_a00purple.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(9) : ExecWarning
    , Import texture TrailPurple from TEXTURES\fglow_a00purple.PCX failed
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\fglow_a00green.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(10) : ExecWarnin
    g, Import texture TrailGreen from TEXTURES\fglow_a00green.PCX failed
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\fglow_a00red.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(11) : ExecWarnin
    g, Import texture TrailRed from TEXTURES\fglow_a00red.PCX failed
    Can't find file 'TEXTURES\fglow_a00blue.PCX' for import
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(12) : ExecWarnin
    g, Import texture TrailBlue from TEXTURES\fglow_a00blue.PCX failed
    Parsing bulletsounds4
    Parsing InfilWeapons
    Parsing inventoryTracerBlue
    Parsing inventoryTracerCounter3
    Parsing inventoryTracerCounter5
    Parsing inventoryTracerCounter7
    Parsing inventoryTracerGreen
    Parsing inventoryTracerPurple
    Parsing inventoryTracerRed
    Parsing BSProj
    Parsing B****Effect
    Parsing blueTrail
    Parsing greenTrail
    Parsing purpleTrail
    Parsing redTrail
    Parsing yellowTrail
    Parsing pawnObserver
    Compiling itemTracerBlue
    Compiling itemTracerCounter
    Compiling itemTracerCounter5
    Compiling itemTracerCounter7
    Compiling itemTracerGreen
    Compiling itemTracerPurple
    Compiling itemTracerRed
    Compiling insanityScope
    Compiling BSNotify
    D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\bulletsounds4\Classes\BSNotify.uc(142) : Error, Ca
    n't find Texture 'Tracer9mmBlue'
    Failed due to errors.

History: CompileError <- TryCompile <- FScriptCompiler::CompileScript <- (Class
    bulletsounds4.BSNotify, Pass 1, Line 142) <- CompileScripts <- CompileScripts <-
     CompileScripts <- CompileScripts <- DoScripts <- UEditorEngine::MakeScripts <-
    UMakeCommandlet::Main

Exiting due to error

D:\Games\UnrealTorunament_dev\System>

10. geogob

11. DaRealFunkyShyte

DaRealFunkyShyte New Member

cvs

check in with -kb

12. Blitzschlag

Blitzschlag New Member

A quistion whats a CVS?

13. Cleeus[JgKdo]

Cleeus[JgKdo] because respawns suck

14. geogob

You mean for the binary files? Anyways, I removed them from the CVS. SInce I don't have to modify the textures, this is not necessary.

CVS is a revision management system. Each modification you do to the code is archived so you can rollback to any version (e.g. if you screw up or if you get into a major bug).

It is also used to manage modifications when more than one person works on the same code (so that people don't write over other's work).

15. Blitzschlag

Blitzschlag New Member

so its a helpfully tool while coding, have to see how thats work, cuz want to learn to code for UT too.

16. geogob

It's a very good tool for any projects. I use it for progammation and redaction (which is even easier for me since I mainly use LaTeX). Never used it for binary projects though.

On windows, I use CVSNT (www.cvsnt.org) which is very easy to setup. Of course, it uses command line interface, so you might want to get "TortoiseCVS", a nifty tool that incorporates CVS functions into windows via the contextual menues. But I recommand learning the command line interface first.

17. Blitzschlag

Blitzschlag New Member

command line interface??? :confused: I know something about that but it seems i've forgot it, didnt do anything like code for years, after a course at ma scool.
    Say me what it was plz. ;)

18. geogob

CLI.... that's the wonderfull place where you get to type a lot of funky things you never remember correcly to fuck up your whole project ;) :rolleyes:

19. Blitzschlag

Blitzschlag New Member

something like delete *.exe :lol: ?

20. geogob

or

su
    mv \ \dev\null

or more funky things like
    su
    \dev\rand > \dev\mouse