disturbingly differing dynamic displacement damage system of differentiatable doom

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Brought to you by muteyurch productions. Half the skills, twice the insanity!

A ressurection of an old rav2 idea that never materialized. I wanted a way to reasonably reduce the amount of surface area availble on a target because, well, inf's is HUGE. Bullets that fly over the rear part of the backpack will cause headshots. Robar shots past the legs cause instant death.

Well, no more. Sort of.

After two failed systems, mute and myself have managed to bring you, the oh so lovable delving denizens of development, another mutator of oh-so-much nessesesity with oh-so-much controversy.

Without going into too much confusing detail (confusing will be mute's job) it's effectively a system of re-building the player out of cylinders. No, we aren't actually spawning cylinders, this is purely a concept which makes the mathematics understandable and the execution fast. The result is something that allows us to use a fair amount of detail when defining areas of the player, and not get bogged down by the spawning of dozens of hit detection actors.
The system assumes straight penetration of the bullet through the entire cylinder.

The system has two major snags. The first is, we can't match animations. That means, for example, our standing player is modeled once - not once for each style of aiming, not once for each type of gun, just once. Right now even the walking and jogging are using the same configuration, but even then, it's pretty hard to tell sometimes. There are around 7661 animation frames, if you think we're going to be doing every one of them you're outta yer damn mind.

The second problem is that we can't detect hits outside the ordinary hitcylinders. This is not a fault of our system, it's just that bullets that don't get picked up by the hit detection aren't going to go through the filter. This is introduced by the fact that the players are often leaning outside the hitbox entirely in some cases. If we were to do a seperate crouch walking configuration for example, the head would be outside the ordinary hit cylinder.(mute has pretty pictures both cylinder configurations and hitbox limitations) You could shoot it from front or behind, just not from the sides where there's no hitcylinder along the way to detect the bullet. This is true for basic 2.9 as well, but it's 'made up' by all the empty area behind the player's head that will cause headshots anyway.

There's no change for prone right now, and both prone and leaning has extra actors that will generate more surface area that isn't checked yet by our system. If it's important we can fix these things later. Way later.

We can also do interesting things with our cylinders. The standing player has a cylinder in his chest that will add damage to any shot passing through it, up to a maximum of 2x depending on how close to center the shot lands. This makes rifles with slightly higher damage a bit more dangerous - the kill area will increase. Legs will do 25% less damage unless the shot passes 2 ued units or less to thier centers. Head cylinders of course do the standard 4x damage.

Bullets that pass through the large hitcylinder without contacting one of our smaller ones will be ejected out the other side. You can even shoot between the legs if you've got a good angle.

And now for the disclaimer.
This is an extremely early damage system built into an early beta of bulletsounds4, a bulletsounds mutator with admin ini options for ballistic scale and bullet visibility, with later plans to allow players to choose thier tracer colors if it isn't too much trouble. The purpose is to reduce hit surface area, not to add per-pixel hit detection to inf. This mutator is in no way responsible for any sudden drop in accuracy or shot misses that look like they 'shoulda' hit. Everything that ever goes wrong in the entire world is entirely your fault after installing this mutator. When testing this mutator remember that armor, helmets and animations can cause differences in damage and response. No, lasers do not follow our cylinders. Do not flood us with thousands of work-intensive ideas that you thought would be 'cool', chances are we've been through them all already. Do not run this on a server unless you plan on handling both mismatches from our updates and the complaints of the players of wondering what the hell is going on. Please don't fire bullets at the player's outline and mail us .bmp files of every inconsistancy. We know they are there.

I will be away most of the weekend, mute can answer questions with pure confusion if so needed, and possibly post some pretty pictures.
Installation is standard for any mutator, just toss the files in /system. Note that the mutator is using a 60% scaling in it's ini, this scale is a response to the 90 degree FOV inconsistancy of monitors with real life visuals. High visiblity tracers for all weapons are turned on to make shot visualization somewhat easier. No, there isn't a readme. Serverpackages are done as always.

Attachment removed, latest version Jul 22 is here

Last edited:

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
We have crouching and standing 'modeled'. No movement phases, but like I said, it's actually pretty hard to notice. Crouch movement is the biggest offender in terms of inconsistancy.
Lean will be subjected to whatever stance plus the respective crouch or standing lean actors. We can do those properly in more detail later since the extra hit detections give us leeway in placing our cylinders to where detections will matter.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
:tup:
yurch said:
... There are around 7661 animation frames, if you think we're going to be doing every one of them you're outta yer damn mind. ...
You are lucky that you do not belong to the SentryStudios dev. team... else some folks here would insist upon something like this and would flame you to death for your (I have to say brilliant) disclaimer :p

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
One minor thing I realized:

The lightactors of the tracers are not always destroyed at the end of the round, so u can see them in the next round for some seconds.
Maybe you can increase the torso collision hull (that one which adjusts the damage) a little, cause there are many areas where a bullet can hit important organs. And at the moment i do not realize many increased hits.

Btw. First post, so: Hoi all!

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
This might be due to the fact that the damage is scaled linearly from the center axis of this torso hit 'cylinder', hits on the outer edge will do very little extra damage.
I'll think about increasing the multiplier or even making it a square relationship.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
OMG I cant believe I missed this! Im gonna mention this to Odie for GD server, would be more reliable and realistic than Random damage me thinks.

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
I'm sitting on it somewhat for feedback, plus there's a bug that we aren't sure even exists that's running around.

I'm also sitting on the rolling grenade ver of the 40mm mute for the time being.

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
"
BTW on which name should it appear in the Mutatorlist?
"
(works for all mutators)
Open the mutators .int file with textpad or something and look for

Description="yurch - Bullet sounds with tracers"

There is your title in the list.

Quote:
"
Is it normal that i can kill all with one shoot of th 5-7 into the foot??
"

I don't know how u did it, but this does not work for me. I get damage values of 34 and 25 (as supposed to). Maybe post a screen where exactly u aim, if you can reproduce it.

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
Ok, something weird I realize: I get a lot of self hits, so my own bullets hit me, deals damage and sometimes even kill me, I even managed self headshots. Most times when I sit near some mapgeometry, so can be reflected projectiles (although I wonder why in many cases), but without bs4 I do not get hit (lets say, this happens once upon a time without bs4) ... something seems wrong here.