Deus Ex...3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I don't recall trying it..I am a self admitted SP nazi 0_o(thus why I rag on Halo 3 for being Halo ep 3)

It was great, though extremely laggy. I was actually in a clan for it back in the day, the only clan I've been in.

It was pretty much just DM and TDM. You could choose your skills and augs, and by the spawns there would usually be a board full of weapons, and you could choose your preference. There were turrets and computer consoles around the maps, you could hack them and take control of the turrets for your team, you could set grenade traps and stuff. The combat came down to selecting augs and abilities to complement each other, and having the right aug to counter whatever your enemy was using. Lots and lots of fun.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
It was great, though extremely laggy. I was actually in a clan for it back in the day, the only clan I've been in.

It was pretty much just DM and TDM. You could choose your skills and augs, and by the spawns there would usually be a board full of weapons, and you could choose your preference. There were turrets and computer consoles around the maps, you could hack them and take control of the turrets for your team, you could set grenade traps and stuff. The combat came down to selecting augs and abilities to complement each other, and having the right aug to counter whatever your enemy was using. Lots and lots of fun.

Sounds better thought out than most of the new MP stuff I have read about.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
...both DX and HL were hyped to hell and back for years prior to their release. System Shock 2 had the benefit of being a sequel to a well-received game. I think you're letting your nostalgia goggles tint your memories there.

Was it really like that? I have no clue I guess since I was younger but I always assumed that back then things were just different, I mean they might've been hyped up in the hardcore gamer community but not like how games are now since the whole gaming community is a lot more open than it was back then.

Hell, I remember the days before Half Life 2 where I wasn't aware of the gaming community and gaming journalism at all, I would just find my games by going to Best Buy and seeing what looked cool, Nintendo Power, or PC Gamer free demo cds. That's how I ended up finding all the games I've come to know and love and ALL the classics that became legends. Fallout 1 played in a PC Gamer demo. Same with F2. Deus Ex I just saw on the new shelf at Best Buy, hell I had never heard of it till the day I bought it. System Shock 2 I have no idea how I even came across it. You get the point, that was the golden age of games, sh1t that like definitely can't happen today. :shake:

That's one of the reasons it can't happen today and is something I was ranting about, gaming is a lot more mainsteam and everyone's jumping on the bandwagon and most of them are idiots. Now the market is just saturated with shyte.

Last edited:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Sounds better thought out than most of the new MP stuff I have read about.

The funny thing is, it was added as an after-thought with a patch, even. There was nothing like slipping past some dude's turret with radar transparency, disabling and re-arming the grenades he booby-trapped the console with, hacking it for your own team, and then heading down the stairs to surprise him when he thought his back was protected!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Was it really like that? I have no clue I guess since I was younger but I always assumed that back then things were just different, I mean they might've been hyped up in the hardcore gamer community but not like how games are now since the whole gaming community is a lot more open than it was back then.

Hell, I remember the days before Half Life 2 where I wasn't aware of the gaming community and gaming journalism at all, I would just find my games by going to Best Buy and seeing what looked cool, Nintendo Power, or PC Gamer free demo cds. That's how I ended up finding all the games I've come to know and love and ALL the classics that became legends. Fallout 1 played in a PC Gamer demo. Same with F2. Deus Ex I just saw on the new shelf at Best Buy, hell I had never heard of it till the day I bought it. System Shock 2 I have no idea how I even came across it. You get the point, that was the golden age of games, sh1t that like definitely can't happen today. :shake:
Maybe, but there was tons of hype. It wasn't quite the same as now, but forums were abuzz about them, magazines had four page spreads for them, etc.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Maybe, but there was tons of hype. It wasn't quite the same as now, but forums were abuzz about them, magazines had four page spreads for them, etc.

Everything was more print based. Gamers had to hit up gamermags for anything useful, basically. Depending on when you entered the scene, there was little to no television coverage, aside from the rare commercial, or maybe a game review show on a special technology channel (I'm looking at you, Extended Play on ZDtv...). Internets were more difficult to navigate for a while, if you go back far enough, so that squelched viral campaigns and the like.

I guess an extremely ambitious game could team up with a cereal, like Mario or Sonic, or Starcraft teaming with Cheetos. Other than that, I don't remember many different ways that games were promoted. I mean, unless you specifically went looking for information, it was sometimes easier to chat up the local games vendor (oh, the good ol' days of indie game retailers!).

Oh, and yes. DXMP was awesome, if too laggy for its own good sometimes. I seem to remember that throwing knives seemed to be the best close-ranged weapon. At least, I was often a knife-cushion.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
What's so great about Deus Ex anyway? It looks to me like extremely boring overrated matrix knock off style game with a system of over nine thousand invetory wth.

DAIKATANA FTW!

Edit: I never played Deus Ex, but calling something like that one of the best games ever created? C'mon. You only fight against some terrorist **** or what.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Amazing atmosphere, play the game the way you want, many paths, secrets and areas.

What so good about Daikatana? According to metacritic it's ****.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Metacritic is ****

What's good about Daikatana? It is oldschool game and shooter with fast paced action, with somehow bearable RPG skill system.
It has flaws and lots of bugs and we all know the developement didn't go well. Still it is wonder it was even released the way it is...

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Metacritic is ****? That's like saying everyone's opinion besides yours is ****. :lol:

Anyways I watched some videos on Daikatana, linear level with robot bugs and ****? Looks stupid. Also everyone on the comments youtube and meta say the game is terrible, so I'll just take their word. :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Sure....hive mind and majority opinion. You don't even watch most of the game nor play it, and i bet you watched some of these somethingawful guys playing, which is just horrible. They don't know how to play games.

Besides does this look like not fun?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSjd6E9auRk

Last edited: