Deus Ex...3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Since when was Deus Ex a skill game? :con:

It was a pretty easy-going, story-heavy game. You spent most of your time chatting people up and walking from point A to point B. DX2 was a mediocre game, but I think a "washed down" Deus Ex can be very good stuff which captures the essence of the original. It may not be the game some of you people clearly want, but yeah, if they go the Bioshock route, sign me up. Who cares if some wannabe game reviewer hack knocks it for being "skill-less" or whatever floats his boat.

Let me rephrase DX is a game of "skill" not dck slapping everythign to death with a lulzy shooter mechanic like BS. ^^

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think the point about bioshock is a fair one, gimme system shock 2. Unfortunately invisible war is gonna be on peoples minds, hopefully they can get past that and give this game a fair shake. If its just not up there no use giving the developers delusions about it ;)
Bioshock wasn't trying to be System Shock 2, though. I can't see why that would affect your ability to like it.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Impressive artwork.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Too much speculation at this point about the gameplay. I'm content to wait and see/hear more. From that screenshot alone this could be very promising.

I always said they just need to replicate everything about DX1 but bring the visuals and content and engine up to date. Everything worked in the first game, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Deus Ex became the game you made it. If you spec'd toward stealth it would be stealthy and cerebral, if you spec'd for power it would become an action game. They shouldn't try to funnel this one into something it's not.

Look at Half Life for the best example of a proper sequel. Leave everything about the game that makes it great unchanged then simply overhaul and expand the bells and whistles.

BoneofFear

The American Dying Machine
Jul 14, 2004
IN DA CHOPPA!
www.myspace.com
Here's what I found interesting (Probably this will make us less worried about it being a DX2 clone)

Interestingly, it seems Eidos Montreal also went out of their way to assure fans they are aware of the less-than-positive reaction the second game in the series received, and are working diligently to avoid some of the same mistakes. They also said, though, that with Deus Ex 3 they want to please both fans of the series as well as newcomers who may have never played the earlier games (which may partly explain why they're making it a prequel).

And Warren Spector has said somewhere that he will have some say on the development of DX3.But probably gonna be phone call here @ each alpha,beta,to near final release stages.

And about it being a prequel,It's interesting cause your not playing any of the dentons at all.You play a private security guard of a company that manufactures biochemical augmentations,Adam Jenson.But what really actually sells me to it is how their dealing with the cyberpunk atmosphere of it all (It's gonna be a mix of the renaissance and cyberpunk ie. major difference between the Rich and Poor)

EDIT:And it is marked as a PC game,360,and PS3 game.Even though they probably don't read this what I AM hoping they do as a counter measure is to do it how the devs of Dead Space are doing it,Release each version of the game separately.Hopefully their wise enough to have that in their plans instead of releasing all 3 versions all together now (Come together,right now....over me.)

EDIT2345678MondayTuesdayWensdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday:You can't fight ideas with bullets,But you can't fight bullets with ideas!

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Bioshock wasn't trying to be System Shock 2, though. I can't see why that would affect your ability to like it.

I never said it was trying to be system shock 2 but perhaps if it was I would have liked bioshock more. Its not that I hate it I just didnt think it was up there with the likes of deus ex or system shock 2.

Im just not a fan of long drawn out scripted sequences and you'll hear me say the same thing in regards to alot of games like halflife 2 for eg. Bioshock did bring some impressive things to the table in terms of dynamics and interaction but I still believe more can be done to breath life into game worlds.

This is my point though, Im not going to go around lying about what I think about it just so the developers feel better. Maybe Im being alittle hard on em but honestly if I settled for second best all the time then Id miss out on those truly outstanding games that break molds, it also wouldnt leave much for the developers to aim for next time.

See games like deus ex, system shock 2 and halflife came from nowhere and hit big. Now days you get pre-hype hype, the pre-hype, the hype, the launch hype, the post-launch hype etc now thats not sayin those games arnt good but on a whole I find them, especially the sequels, to be mediocre at best. Its not nostalgia talkin either, its just words from a gamer whos been around awhile, so while I appreciate what they are trying to do with bringin a sequel to a much loved IP back sometimes they just completely **** it up or change the target audience so much they lose touch with the original audience.

Its certainly not limited to the games industry though, one thing I find is stuff I watched as a kid gets remade but its aimed at the kids of today so I appreciate it less because my needs have changed since back in the day.

Looking at a Dues Ex 3, I hope they aim at fans of the original more and try to think what those fans would like about the gameplay they are workin on now. Then they can use that and work it in with things they'll use to target the new audience, I do believe that in targeting the original audience of deus ex and their needs now they'll inherently get new players in :cool:

Last edited:

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Seeing the new art for Deus Ex 3 has me excited... I just hope the UI and inventory system is like the first one and no universal ammo, hated that from part 2 :rolleyes:

And yeah the lack of 'leaning' around corners killed Deus Ex 2. Hopefully that is back as well.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
See games like deus ex, system shock 2 and halflife came from nowhere and hit big. Now days you get pre-hype hype, the pre-hype, the hype, the launch hype, the post-launch hype etc

...both DX and HL were hyped to hell and back for years prior to their release. System Shock 2 had the benefit of being a sequel to a well-received game. I think you're letting your nostalgia goggles tint your memories there.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
...both DX and HL were hyped to hell and back for years prior to their release. System Shock 2 had the benefit of being a sequel to a well-received game. I think you're letting your nostalgia goggles tint your memories there.

Yes but the industry was enthusiast heavy so you did not get near as much smear and propaganda as you get now.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004

Yeah but they didnt show the whole first 2 episodes of the game before it was released or every second episode like a few of the releases in the last few years have. Dues Ex and Halflife might have been hyped (first hint of HL for me was uplink the demo) Dues Ex I followed pretty closely and played it shortly after release.

I have to agree with ZippyDSMlee though its alot worse now, they just spam you with crap and the lies are much more blatant. Its just a whole different ball game to the past, it can be tricky to even get excited about a game because of the way they promote them. Hell HL2 might not have been the disappointment it was for me cause of all the footage I saw of it before I played it, so after that I made an effort to not spoil things for myself, thats how bad its gotten.

System shock 1 wasnt that well received either, it was a ****in dodgy as control scheme which is one of the things they fixed right up, aint no nostalgia tinting here ;)

Last edited:

BoneofFear

The American Dying Machine
Jul 14, 2004
IN DA CHOPPA!
www.myspace.com
System shock 1 wasnt that well received either, it was a ****in dodgy as control scheme which is one of the things they fixed right up, aint no nostalgia tinting here ;)

Of course the control scheme was dodgy as hell.This IS warren specter's creation's we're talking about.During that time (Ultima Series of Video Games) he was well known for messing around with control schemes that either worked or didn't.Since we're on the subject of SS1's controls.On the TTLG fourms there is a program someone made which makes it so you can alter the controls of SS1 to whatever you want (Except for Movement keys which are by default of the program WASD obviously!)But I haven't played SS1 in a long time.Back to continuing my Adventure into the Rickenbacher.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Yeah but they didnt show the whole first 2 episodes of the game before it was released or every second episode like a few of the releases in the last few years have. Dues Ex and Halflife might have been hyped (first hint of HL for me was uplink the demo) Dues Ex I followed pretty closely and played it shortly after release.

I have to agree with ZippyDSMlee though its alot worse now, they just spam you with crap and the lies are much more blatant. Its just a whole different ball game to the past, it can be tricky to even get excited about a game because of the way they promote them. Hell HL2 might not have been the disappointment it was for me cause of all the footage I saw of it before I played it, so after that I made an effort to not spoil things for myself, thats how bad its gotten.

I have mixed feelings about HL2 it has some good spots but over all I think they were lax on level design and the vehicle levels could have been alil more interesting. I did not care for the gimmick gun and felt the weapons were nerfed for it. Even saying that its a 7ish game to me its enough of something despite tie weaknesses. With the eps its more of a whole game but still damaged by modern designs.

I hate Quake 4 I bought that game new and all it did was kick me in the groin where the level design/ intracuticy why are we not using alternative fire modes that add spice and enjoyment to the gameplay. It might have bigger levels and a bit brighter but good god whats with this minmilization+antiquation its like D3 only mildly better.....nd do not get me started on D3... its like Carmack was on smack and wanked out a new engine that they could not make a worth while game for...

Oh dear I am ranting :p

Point is modern gaming is full of fail, it has its gems but they are much harder to find.

Currently trying to play Mass effect PC...I might have wanted to flog the menu designer for the Witcher but I want to demonically "probe" the ME menu/interface designers.....

Cryisis bored me to death so thats on hold I want to try and play "Oblivion lost"(internet cookie for the one that gets it) next before Falbiloin comes out.

Give the word and we can take this line of ranting to a new thread. :lol: