Delays In PC Version of Tom Clancy's EndWar Due To Piracy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well, the good news for PC gamers is that a PC version of Tom Clancy's EndWar will, indeed, be coming out. The bad news? The delays are being blamed on PC Piracy, an accusation that seems very popular these days.

"To be honest, if PC wasn't pirated to hell and back, there'd probably be a PC version coming out the same day as the other two," [Creative Director Michael de] Plater told VG247. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 editions of EndWar arrive November 7.

"The level of piracy that you get with the PC just cannibalizes the others, because people just steal that version," he elaborated. "Piracy's basically killing PC."

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
They pirated it before it was released? :eek:

I really am beginning to wonder if companies shouldnt be looking to the inside you know, especially with copies being sold too early in games shops. Piracy is not limited to PC either, although Im unware of a console with a burner PC's can certainly burn console ISO's.

Either way the console sales will get affected by piracy! I think when we look at this closer they are saying console gamers would rather pirate a game and play it on their PC then pay for it on a console :lol:

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
They pirated it before it was released? :eek:

I really am beginning to wonder if companies shouldnt be looking to the inside you know, especially with copies being sold too early in games shops. Piracy is not limited to PC either, although Im unware of a console with a burner PC's can certainly burn console ISO's.

Either way the console sales will get affected by piracy! I think when we look at this closer they are saying console gamers would rather pirate a game and play it on their PC then pay for it on a console :lol:

Well the big difference is you need to pop open your console to play pirated games on the 360/ps3, which violates your warranty and at least on Xbox Live can be detected and your account suspended. The barrier to entry to console piracy requires a technical sophistication that PC piracy really doesn't.

I believe the developer is stating not that the game is already pirated, but that in prioritizing their limited resources, the platform with the lowest forecast for sales is prioritized below those with higher forecasts. And that low forecast is in some part driven by piracy fears.

FWIW all the games that I worked on that were pirated prior to retail were leaked at duplication, not internally.

Kronos7

Apr 1, 2008
I wasnt planning on buying this game to begin with, though I wouldnt mind keeping a pirated copy for a week to see what its all about in comparison to other RTS games.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well the big difference is you need to pop open your console to play pirated games on the 360/ps3, which violates your warranty and at least on Xbox Live can be detected and your account suspended. The barrier to entry to console piracy requires a technical sophistication that PC piracy really doesn't.

Wow, thats so well put. Seriously why didnt someone say that sooner instead of dribbling about how easy it is to use bittorrent :)

I can understand what you are saying but you would think that the lower sales forecast would get them to try and sell more on that platform. If its not obvious the console version will sell regardless, in giving the console version more time I think they are just helping to fund their own fears. Its just a shame its not easy to quantify the amount of pirates and what platforms they are pirating on, then again I still think its best to go for the heart.

That would be the people who leak duplicates, put up the high speed seeds and the rest. Punishing the people down the other end of the scale will get you know where, its much like when cops take on drugs, they aim for the dealers then the suppliers and so on. Rarely will they nab the users for anything other than information. I just think we need to do something about piracy on a more global scale and stop giving people the misconception that all PC gamers are pirates.

I think Im right in saying that without realizing they have said console gamers will also pirate games given the chance. I just like to believe that people prefer the PC platform and that will lead to consoles sales faltering, theres no denying there is piracy and its easier to do on PC but I like to think that some console gamers are purely console gamers because of industry trends nothing more :cool:

Last edited:

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany

I believe the developer is stating not that the game is already pirated, but that in prioritizing their limited resources, the platform with the lowest forecast for sales is prioritized below those with higher forecasts. And that low forecast is in some part driven by piracy fears.

FWIW all the games that I worked on that were pirated prior to retail were leaked at duplication, not internally.

I dont know how the situation is over in the states - but here in europe there are shops where they mod-chip your console and even take over the warranty for a year - not much of a risk then. But i do think that more Wii's are modded then 360's as far as i can tell, because of XboxLive - wich kinda translates to PC Games having good online components - for them to work you always need a legit copy.

The most funny thing is that many developers state that PC Games are getting pirated before Retail-Release - but thats the case with 360 and Wii Games too (PS3 cant be pirated due to Blue Ray as far as i know) - look at Grand Theft Auto IV 360 - that game was available 1 week prior to Retail-Release and perfectly playable and if i remember the news about it correctly that version was pirated to hell and back.

Last edited:

Ogs

Da Bomb
Mar 3, 2006
Consoles have your average Joe's buying games, which dwarf informed pirates.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Next week from a random publisher: Pirates are to blame for the fact that our game sucks.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The thing is, there are a great number of gamers that have a console and a PC so they're releasing it on the consoles first so that those gamers that might have pirated it on PC will be forced to buy in on 360 or PS3. Honestly, with PC sales as low as they are (compared to consoles) and piracy as rampant as it is (and I know that a pirated copy != a lost sale; though I would be willing to guess that every 2-3 copies = ~1 lost sale), I'm surprised ANY PC games are released concurrently anymore.

~Jason

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
piracy is a problem but i'm tired of it being used as an excuse for things. i think other developers should work with the PC platform as Valve has or offer a game with a very appealing multiplayer component which is why COD4 i believe did very well. devs and publishers know what kind of environment the PC is now and its useless to complain about it and now they need to start thinking of solid ways to control their IPs.

there is no good solution to this as i like online activation while others hate it. so **** the pirates. they put PC gamers in this situation and unfortunately i think honest customers are going to suffer as a result but i can't blame devs anymore for putting in strict DRM crap. it completely sucks that everyone may be treated like a pirate from day one but the alternative is devs passing over the PC completely in favor of consoles.

i'm willing to deal with whatever protection devs want now. just tired of this.

Maximus2003

Mar 25, 2003
South Africa
Luckily the games are so buggy these days no would want to waste their hard drive space, even if they had a pirated copy. My brother bought a copy of the PC version of Alone in the Dark 5 without reading the reviews first. This game has so many control issues it is scary. The big quest in the game seems to be to try and find ways around all the bugs.

Piracy is definitely an issue, but poorly written and unfinished games are much more of an issue. It's the same with the music and movie industry, they keep producing the biggest crap and then blame their sales on piracy.

badvermin

The one and only
Aug 5, 2005

I was about to make a similar comment.

Although I believe we did have a review copy get distributed online once. I think we ended up getting a bunch of free ads because of it.

badvermin

The one and only
Aug 5, 2005
An interesting article composed of an indie dev's outreach to understand what encourages piracy and how to make the most out of PC.
http://www.positech.co.uk/talkingtopirates.html

summary: Pirates are not your customers. Make games your customers want, how they want, and they will happily pay for them.

And yet there are 5 times as many people playing a game than purchased it....:rolleyes:

They are playing the games, they just don't want to pay. I just see all of that crap as weak rationalizations for theft.

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
"Piracy's basically killing PC."
Yeah, that and developers releasing products a year later on the PC and then wondering why their not really selling all to well.

:tinfoil3: It seems more and more like devs and publishers are trying to kill the PC as a gaming platform. /:tinfoil3:

Sure piracy is a problem, but how is putting legitimate customers out, helping in any way? I'd look at a different strategy if I were them.

In fact, this seems a little strange as if you delay the game then legit buyers are just going to get it late and so are the pirates... who wins again?

/edit
OK, so there is a pseudo reason, but I still don't like it. :p

Last edited: