Crysis 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
a 8800GT is good enough to play at a decent resolution. love this card. :)

It will be a sad day when I finally upgrade mine. It will be 4 years this October and it still holds strong. I was pretty damned surprised C2 even runs as well as it does considering the card is listed as the minimum :eek:

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
This game is the most consolized POS in a long time. You can't even change your FOV. Skip it.

Uh. Fail.

I will fully support Crytek. Definitively one of the rare studios I can see respect PC gamers.

Fuel to the fire...

http://hardocp.com/news/2011/03/02/rumor_crysis_2_will_be_dx9_out_box
At a presentation to Nvidia's new graphics card in the GeForce 500-series revealed that Crysis 2 initially will not include support for DirectX 11, instead get PC gamers to make do with the six year old DirectX 9.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I find the demo fun.

Can anyone decipher the video quality settings? What is hardcore, gamer etc. supposed to mean to me?

Also, with regards to those tweaks ... can I do it if I installed it through steam?

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I find the demo fun.

Can anyone decipher the video quality settings? What is hardcore, gamer etc. supposed to mean to me?

Also, with regards to those tweaks ... can I do it if I installed it through steam?

Advanced= low, Gamer=medium, Hardcore=high

The tweaks CAN be done with the steam install, exactly the same way they say to (except, you know, you navigate to the game file under steam->steamapps->etc.)

~Jason

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Looks pretty damn good for DX9 if you ask me.

The tweaks CAN be done with the steam install, exactly the same way they say to (except, you know, you navigate to the game file under steam->steamapps->etc.)

~Jason

That is kinda ass backwards isn't it? I was under the impression that gamer was low. Personally I think Crytek dropped the ball on the whole graphic quality naming, it is just too confusing.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Looks pretty damn good for DX9 if you ask me.

That is kinda ass backwards isn't it? I was under the impression that gamer was low. Personally I think Crytek dropped the ball on the whole graphic quality naming, it is just too confusing.

No arguments here. I had to consult ze interwebs in order to find it out.

~ Jason

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I tried using almost all of the parameters mentioned here. FOV definitely works and I know some of the others do too, but I think a lot of them don't. There is still a bunch of mouse smoothing too. :mad:
This is nothing for anyone to really whine about. DX11 will probably add better AA (if they even add it to the graphics menu and almost nobody will use it anyways), better motion blur (barely) and some tessellation... which also probably wont be used. Chances are, DX11 will do nothing but lower your FPS unless you utilize aforementioned options.

~Jason
Pretty sure gamer is low, advanced is medium and hardcore is high?

Right click on the game in steam library > properties > set launch options.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Gamer is definitively low. Advanced is fancier. And Hardcore is purely GPU leachy.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Does anyone else see a bunch of servers that ping 0 and are unjoinable? I have to scroll through a good deal before hitting pinged servers. This might have something to do with my nat type, which unfortunately I can't get to change no matter what setting I use on my router.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I liked one of the comments in there
If you want to make money in the gaming business, you need to cater to the masses, not a minority of pc gamers with cutting edge hardware.
Seriously, how many people have systems that could run it in DX11? How m any people are still running XP as their OS? How many people actually h ave "cutting edge hardware"?
Same here, especially since I think it goes Gamer > Advanced > Hardcore in the menu
Does anyone else see a bunch of servers that ping 0 and are unjoinable? I have to scroll through a good deal before hitting pinged servers.
Yea, and on my end they all/most have Amsterdam or .de in the server name
I just look for anything that has US or a US city name in the title

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
wait a minute; so what are the actual graphic levels?

What equals low, medium, high?

Such stupid terminology they used.
Imagine Bulletstorm using "dicktits" as a graphic preset, and it made your computer explode.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Installed...
Broke my balls trying to login...
Played 5 mins, got sick from consolitis...
Puked and uninstalled...

Explain why this is a victim of consolitis please

And before you start
-Can't change FOV is not a viable excuse. Loads of pc games don't let you change FOV
-Graphics settings suck is not a viable excuse. Yeah they are worded dumb, but that does not make it consolized. Hardcore makes the console versions look pale in comparison.
-Press start to begin. Yeah this was hilarious, but it doesn't reflect gameplay in any way shape or form.
-Only supporting DX9 at the start is not a viable excuse either. DX10 did not bring anything major to the table and DX11 is better but not necessary. Some of the best looking games are still DX9

Ok you may begin.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Explain why this is a victim of consolitis please

And before you start
-Can't change FOV is not a viable excuse. Loads of pc games don't let you change FOV
-Graphics settings suck is not a viable excuse. Yeah they are worded dumb, but that does not make it consolized. Hardcore makes the console versions look pale in comparison.
-Press start to begin. Yeah this was hilarious, but it doesn't reflect gameplay in any way shape or form.
-Only supporting DX9 at the start is not a viable excuse either. DX10 did not bring anything major to the table and DX11 is better but not necessary. Some of the best looking games are still DX9

Ok you may begin.
-Loads of PC games are ****ty console ports with 65 FOV :B
-It really couldn't take that long to make a graphics menu like that of Crysis. It's just plain lazy and their excuse I'm sure is to make things more user-friendly. (SOUNDS A BIT LIKE THE WONDER THAT IS IW.NET)

and then there's..
-Weapons. Recoil almost doesn't exist which caters largely to thumbsticks. Sniper rifles are pointless unless you're on the really large maps but even then that is arguable.
-Most of the maps are small. Fit for the small 6v6 of player-hosted matches on consoles. The large maps will get played a lot less, but that bit isn't entirely Crytek's fault.
-The menus glare with consolization. Seriously, if you can't see this, then it's gone to your head.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
-Loads of PC games are ****ty console ports with 65 FOV :B
-It really couldn't take that long to make a graphics menu like that of Crysis. It's just plain lazy and their excuse I'm sure is to make things more user-friendly. (SOUNDS A BIT LIKE THE WONDER THAT IS IW.NET)

and then there's..
-Weapons. Recoil almost doesn't exist which caters largely to thumbsticks. Sniper rifles are pointless unless you're on the really large maps but even then that is arguable.
-Most of the maps are small. Fit for the small 6v6 of player-hosted matches on consoles. The large maps will get played a lot less, but that bit isn't entirely Crytek's fault.
-The menus glare with consolization. Seriously, if you can't see this, then it's gone to your head.

Ok where to begin

-Weapons. I played me some Crysis the other night and hold the trigger down all day and hit targets from a distance. That was a pc only title.

-6v6 has nothing to do with consoles. Besides the obvious 18 player limit for BO, the 24 player limit for BC2, Resistance 2 for ps3 sports 64 players.

-I can use my mouse and/or keyboard to navigate the menu. It is not hard to navigate at all. Define consolization because I don't see it. You want a good example of consolization then go play Soldier of Fortune: Payback.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Ok where to begin

-Weapons. I played me some Crysis the other night and hold the trigger down all day and hit targets from a distance. That was a pc only title.
The weapons in Crysis 1 definitely had a bit more recoil and were a bit harder to use... barely. So they making them even easier is kinda... well you know. Nobody here is saying Crysis 1 multiplayer is any good anyways.

-6v6 has nothing to do with consoles. Besides the obvious 18 player limit for BO, the 24 player limit for BC2, Resistance 2 for ps3 sports 64 players.
Yes but those are just a few. But 90% games on consoles are 24 players or less. It's just common knowlege that PC is better for large player counts while consoles tend to use smaller numbers. You don't have to be a fanboy of any platform to know that. Sooo when you see a game moving towards small matches when the highlight of the engine, single player and previous game was much more large scale... it certainly doesn't make it look like it's for PC. (I honestly don't care, I don't expect Crytek to make the game feel like an exclusive when it's obviously not. Most people prefer smaller matches anyways) Not to mention all the games you listed run like **** without a dedicated server. Resistance and MAG can only handle those kinda numbers on a hardware level because they actually make better use of the PS3's processing power than most titles and all the extra space bluray provides for large levels. I know MAG uses dedicated servers (which also means one day you wont be able to play online) though and clusters battles together in separate 64 player battles? (not the 256 or whatever they were originally advertising) I wouldn't be surprised if Resistance used dedicated servers too. If it doesn't, I don't even want to see what a client hosted game for 64 players looks like.

-I can use my mouse and/or keyboard to navigate the menu. It is not hard to navigate at all. Define consolization because I don't see it. You want a good example of consolization then go play Soldier of Fortune: Payback.
Of course it's not hard to navigate, but it's still a giant mess of ****ery. Kinda like the HUD. It's all clearly designed for a television and not a monitor. Nobody likes anything but SOF2 in the SOF franchise anyways. :p

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
So I tried out the demo and it's pretty slick. Though one thing annoyed me.

My mouse kept going over to my second monitor at times and when I clicked to fire, the game basically atl+tabbed out, back to my desktop. I lost a lot of kills this way.

Any one know how to stop this? On a side note I play quite a few FPS games on dual screens and this never happens, the mouse activity stays to my active screen where the game is running.

Other than that, I was quite impressed with the visuals. I need to find an empty server or host my own game so that I can look at the levels in more detail.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Angle snapping maybe? If it doesn't happen in other games then I don't know.