Congratulations, America!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's now legal for all persons of consenting age to marry in all 50 states! We finally got one right!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/26/us-usa-court-gaymarriage-idUSKBN0P61SW20150626

The Supreme Court ruled on Friday that the U.S. Constitution provides same-sex couples the right to marry, handing a historic triumph to the American gay rights movement.

The court ruled 5-4 that the Constitution's guarantees of due process and equal protection under the law mean that states cannot ban same-sex marriages. With the ruling, gay marriage will become legal in all 50 states.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing on behalf of the court, said that the hope of gay people intending to marry "is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right."

Kennedy, a conservative who often casts the deciding vote in close cases, was joined in the majority by the court's four liberal justices.

In a dissenting opinion, conservative Justice Antonin Scalia said the decision shows the court is a "threat to American democracy." The ruling "says that my ruler and the ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court," Scalia said.

Conservative Chief Justice John Roberts also read a summary of his dissenting opinion from the bench.

There are currently 13 state bans in place, while another state, Alabama, has contested a court ruling that lifted the ban there.

The ruling is the Supreme Court's most important expansion of marriage rights in the United States since its landmark 1967 ruling in the case Loving v. Virginia that struck down state laws barring interracial marriages.

The ruling is the latest milestone in the gay rights movement in recent years. In 2010, Obama signed a law allowing gays to serve openly in the U.S. military. In 2013, the high court ruled unconstitutional a 1996 U.S. law that declared for the purposes of federal benefits marriage was defined as between one man and one woman.

'MARCH TOWARD EQUALITY'

Reaction came swiftly. President Barack Obama, the first sitting president to support gay marriage, said on Twitter, "Today is a big step in our march toward equality. Gay and lesbian couples now have the right to marry, just like anyone else."

Hillary Clinton, the front-runner for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, wrote on Twitter she was "proud to celebrate a historic victory for marriage equality." Until 2013, she had long said she was opposed to same-sex marriages, but said her view had since "evolved."

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said, "This flawed, failed decision is an out-of-control act of unconstitutional judicial tyranny."

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush added, "Guided by my faith, I believe in traditional marriage. I believe the Supreme Court should have allowed the states to make this decision."

The decision follows rapid changes in attitudes and policies toward gay marriage in America. It was not until 2003 that the Supreme Court threw out state laws banning gay sex. And it was not until 2004 that the Massachusetts became the first state to legalize same-sex marriage. Gay marriage has gained increasing acceptance in opinion polls in recent years, particularly among younger Americans.

Gay marriage also is gaining acceptance in other Western countries. Last month in Ireland, voters backed same-sex marriage by a landslide in a referendum that marked a dramatic social shift in the traditionally Roman Catholic country.

Ireland followed several Western European countries including Britain, France and Spain in allowing gay marriage, which is also legal in South Africa, Brazil and Canada. But homosexuality remains taboo and often illegal in many parts of Africa and Asia.

The Supreme Court's ruling came in a consolidated case pulling together challenges filed by same-sex couples to gay marriage bans in Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee.

Same-sex marriage was legal in 36 states and Washington, D.C.. In a 37th, Alabama, a federal court struck down the gay-marriage ban but the state supreme court has stopped local officials from issuing marriage licenses to gay couples.

Opponents say same-sex marriage legality should be decided by states, not judges. Some opponents argue it is an affront to traditional marriage between a man and a woman and that the Bible condemns homosexuality.

The emotions of the issue were apparent during the court's April 28 oral arguments in the case when a protester in the courtroom shouted at the justices that they would "burn in hell" if they backed gay marriage.

The Obama administration argued on the side of the same-sex marriage advocates. He has said he hoped the court issued a ruling preventing states from banning gay marriage.

The legal repercussions for same-sex couples are broad, affecting not just their right to marry but also their right to be recognized as a spouse or parent on birth and death certificates and other legal papers.

Big business had urged the justices to support gay marriage, saying in a brief submitted in the case that inconsistent state laws impose burdens on companies and that marriage bans can conflict with corporate anti-discrimination and diversity policies.

funkblast

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Aug 4, 2001
California
Visit site
n9ztSn7.gif

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I'm wondering what a bitter divorce will look like. Slapfight for everything?

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I wonder how long until the inevitable violent backlash from Republican/Conservative Americans like we saw in SC recently with black people. It's just a matter of time unfortunately.

Also, Fox News is hilarious right now. Mike Huckabee went on there crying about how the church defines marriage and how it's been slaughtered by the Supreme Court. The First Amendment guarantee separation of church and state. That also means churches don't have to marry gay people, but courts do. He's a nut job.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
they're all faggot assholes, all GOP candidates couldn't rush to DENOUNCE the Supreme Court fast enough. it's such a terrible institution when it's not handing GWBush the presidency...

the same thing they did when the Court upheld the Affordable Care Act (for the 2nd time in a row), they just got up on their ignorant soap boxes and cried about the ACTIVIST COURT that is trampling our Constitution.

they're fucking scum bags.
if you're a Republican in America in the 21st century you've failed. failed utterly. the party is dying and instead of embracing the ways they could evolve and move forward (because there are plenty of socially liberal Conservatives) they instead just dig in their heels and whine about how things are changing and they don't like it, wah wah wah wah here comes the fucking WAMBULANCE. your country is changing for the better and you'll never get it back.

the Culture War is over and the GOP lost.
Ronald Reagan got it all wrong. the Simpsons got it right.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Congrats to all those who fought for their rights to be as miserable as the rest of us.

I'm wondering what a bitter divorce will look like. Slapfight for everything?
As for my two cents worth:

In effect you are both right. Personalities, relationships, partnership, divorce.

I personally couldn't give a flying fuck (no pun intended) about who is doing it and what their gender may appear to be.

Ultimately people all deal with relationships and sometimes have to move on. There is no operations manual; you make it up as you go along.

What I do care about is why other people give a fuck about what individuals choose to do in their private and domestic lives.

I don't care what other people do; I do care about other people getting in my face with their fucking pointless and worthless bullshit and prejudice.

usa.glitter.gif

I'm assuming the Supreme Court can make this stick............. Constitutional Law being what it is an' all.

the Simpsons got it right.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
That also means churches don't have to marry gay people, but courts do.
This is the part that bothers me about the entire thing. The next logical battle will be legally forcing a church to allow it via a 'but discrimination!' lawsuit just like the ones that shuttered the Christian-owned businesses here in the states because they asked for religious consideration. It's coming too. US government has pretty much taken proxy control of everything since 9-11 and church is the last place for SCOTUS to establish dominance. It's interesting that we are here to bear witness to the waning days of the America we know.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I heard a great analogy the other day. Something to the effect of: The majority of American Conservatives are like people waiting on a train platform. The train has arrived and the rest of us are already on the train. The train is leaving whether you get on or not. Stay behind if you want to, but the rest of us are going forward.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
It's going in a direction but 'forward' is all in your perspective. The movement is so powerful that someone can't say they dislike things like this without people loudly claiming "homophobe!" The media is filled now with people being ripped to shreds over opinions they have every right to hold.
One of my friends is in a same-sex marriage. He asked me if I approved of it (he knows I'm conservative) and I told him I did not. He said "We can't be friends then." Fair enough but I told him to also tell that to another of our buddies who is going through a divorce for cheating. "It's not the same thing," was his answer. But it is the same thing. One can dislike an aspect of another's behavior but still fully respect them and treat them correctly, even <gasp> be friends. The real problem is that the litmus test that the gay rights movement applies to everything doesn't also apply to them. I keep seeing words like equality and fairness and tolerance being used but these don't apply if you disagree. No, you open yourself up to being burned to the ground for not hopping aboard the movement.

From John Davison of The Federalist
It is not enough for the Left to live and let live. You must change your mind. You must not hold disfavored views. You must be the right sort of person. If you’re not, you will be muzzled.

A few years back, the late Cardinal George of the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago, who died in April, said this: “I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the Church has done so often in human history.”

Reactions: Code-prom

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Marriage is not a christian nor conservative construct. Like every other tradition it is always changing. Saying that just because some religious book definies it so and so should not mean anything in a state were church and state are separate.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It's going in a direction but 'forward' is all in your perspective. The movement is so powerful that someone can't say they dislike things like this without people loudly claiming "homophobe!" The media is filled now with people being ripped to shreds over opinions they have every right to hold.
you're just wrong.
let me tell you why.

human happiness is not a perspective.
it's a basic right.

allowing 2 consenting adults who are in love to get married is 'forward' in the sense that it's not 'backward.'
but it's pretty much along the baseline. homosexuals aren't getting special treatment. they're finally getting the exact same treatment as you or I or anyone else. there's no 'perspective' just reality. the only perspective is whatever warped and illogical reasons you bring against marriage equality, but marriage equality itself is unassailable from a logical standpoint. there are plenty of great reasons why we should have marriage equality and there are zero logical reasons why we shouldn't have marriage equality.

the John Davison quote is also bullshit.
allow me to explain.

the Left is perfectly content with live and let live. no one said you have to change your mind. but you're exploiting Free Speech and you don't even realize it.
this is Free Speech in action. you're allowed to believe that homosexuals shouldn't marry and everyone around you who can hear you say that is equally allowed to disagree with you and call you ignorant. it doesn't work only in your favor, only when you want it to; the beautiful thing about Free Speech is that it's a 2-way street. no one is putting the "muzzle" onto Conservative lines of speech, there is an entire news organization on a major American broadcasting network devoted to blasting Conservative ideology 24/7 along with an army of even more Conservative news websites and blogs and radio shows and religious outreach. Limbaugh, Hannity, Bill O, Miller, Coulter, the list goes on. they're selling books like hot cakes and saying horrible things about minorities and the poor and they get away with it every day, living comfortable lives of luxury and celebrity. Conservative ideals aren't under attack because "the media" suddenly decided there would be a Crusade.

Conservative ideals are under attack because they're blatantly falling out of line with reality.
more and more, every day. they're just waving their guns around in anger and all they're doing is shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: Hadmar and Al

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Marriage is not a christian nor conservative construct. Like every other tradition it is always changing. Saying that just because some religious book definies it so and so should not mean anything in a state were church and state are separate.

Totally agreed. But the thing is, they don't believe church and state are separate. They'll say: Show me in the Constitution where it says exactly that. And when you can't show them that exact wording, they say: See! It doesn't exist!

So, they'll continue acting like the American Taliban; forcing their religious interpretation on everyone else while claiming "religious freedom."

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Even I, with my often misunderstood and controversial views on homosexuality, don't begrudge the right of somebody else to live their life in the way they so chose. The sole proviso there being that it doesn't hurt others. I find it unconscionable to deny somebody the right to thus, whether there is some chance that somebody might attempt to impinge upon my rights (if I was say a christian minister that objected to marrying homosexuals) or not.

Though I have a grudge with semantics of the thing. The word marriage has a broad spectrum of practices, beliefs, and customs. I don't feel it has a place in the legal jargon of a country that believes in the separation of church and state. Because though historically 'church' refers to a purely religious edifice, in modern times it should be broadened to include any bias/opinion that could be leveraged as an agenda that might compromise the rights of one group to advance the ideal of another. At the very least a law the defines the governments limitations concerning their exertion of authority over marriage is needed.

Though somebody may claim discrimination I don't see any minister being forced to marry anybody against there will. Furthermore, any church as an entity, being forced to hold same sex weddings. For the simple reason that churches are much like the local country club, your admittance is not guaranteed. There is no law that states that any place that performs marriages has to marry everybody that wants as such there is no legal basis for them to argue discrimination. Will there butthurt? Probably. Honestly though if some homosexual gets upset by such they are a bit silly. I don't see African Americans, Jewish people, etc. getting all butthurt because they can join the KKK.