Computer Problems/Upgrades/Info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Niceeee. Good stuff. I don't have a lot of faith in the SSD yet, even though it hasn't given me any reason not to. Either way, I did a full system image on a 500gb HD after installing most items. So if it does crap out I can get another drive and be back up in no time.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Nice Dev, might be time to invest in a SSD upgrade. Is it really worth it and how hard is it to move all the files? I am not sure I really need a boot boost. Everything starts pretty darn fast. Something to think about..

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
The quietness is a plus on top of the fast load times. Depending on what size you get you can use it for more than just a boot disk. Just make sure you do the research. As far as reliability > speed... Samsung and Intel are apparently making the best products. Corsair is up there too. But definitely stay away from OCZ :lol:

They're definitely not made to last longer than a good hard drive. Even for the smallest bit of data transfer, the SSD has to rewrite that entire memory block instead of just that little bit of data which is why they recommend moving the page file to a traditional HD if possible. Lessening the number of tiny little reads and writes the drive has to do.

I don't have any complaints with mine. Worked like a charm right out of the box. I do recommend starting with a fresh OS. People seem to run into issues trying to use Ghost or some other software to move their current OS to the SSD.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Well ran into a problem last night. Got a Error Message that I shouldn't be receiving.
No NTLDR Detected..

I have a feeling this is stemming from the fact that I was Dual Booting with XP Pro at one time. I will try to correct the problem for now but looks like a clean install onto a SSD will be happening. Have to see waht's available at Bestbuy on the way home. Going on Vacation saturday so don't want to order online.. I like a 180GB or Bigger.

Hopefully I can get it started and do some nice fresh Game Backups. I know Steam is GTG but like fresh GW and UT back ups done. Plus normal files backups as well.

Wish me luck..

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
I feel like you were having an issue with that before...

When you decided to no longer dual-boot, did you do a format or just delete the partition XP was on?

I would highly recommend the Samsung 830 Series if you're making the jump to SSD. It's sleek and sexy, comes with a bracket if you get the upgrade kit, and the thing hasn't had a single hiccup since I got it. Problem is disk space. 64, 128, 256 and 512 GB are your options. If 128 isn't enough, you're looking at $280 for the 256 GB. That on top of another HD is a hefty price for storage.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Yep, same issue with the Dual Boot. Fixed it and thought it was over.
I was Dual Booting off of two different HD's. XP Pro on one and 7 on the other. Guess it still kept the NTLDR buried somewhere.

Anyway if I get the messed up one back up I can make fresh Back Ups, mine are a few weeks old and then just start over on SSD.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Pretty Much Done, Installing Steam now. Had a crazy fiasco with installing windows7. Seems since I have Upgrade Version and I did a clean install the product key didn't work. Phone call to MS last nite cleared up the product key screen. Just click next with No Key Entered and it will let you compete installation. Have to call and activate. I did and guy explained Oh you have Upgrade Version have to reformat and install older version first. BS to that. He transferred me to Ralph a English Speaking American who knew one worked there!! :lol: I explained my problem. Hard drive crashed and I did a fresh install, thinking it would ask for old OS to validate the upgrade. Windows 7 doesn't do that anymore. He did help and got me activated with special codes.. Sweet..
Did I say damn this loads fast!

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Contacted Dell, the E1705 did come with the upgrade option for Graphic Card. I selected the GeForce GO 7900GS. Nice uprade while it lasted. They did state that is the only one I can replace it with. Will do some searching but since it's a old Laptop might not have a lot of options.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Its still capable of hosting the UT Games for us at the LAN Party.. Don't need Graphics for that. LOL