Cliff Bleszinski On "Internet Dickishness"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nfleming

Jul 6, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As a side note to all of this, regardless of what’s going on with Spore and all that, I’ve come to believe that the kind of person who’s savvy enough to have a high-end PC – to upgrade it, to figure the ins and outs of it and to make sure he has a solid system – probably knows what BitTorrent is. That’s all I’m saying.

SO... Cliff admits to being a pirate :lol:

btw, I purchased every game on all the PCs in our network.
That’s all I’m saying.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
I mean, would porting the game on the PC would be THAT hard and long? Other than "Piracy" what is there to put a block on the road?

This is, more or less, the point of everyone that is frowning at Cliff's statement that there won't be a Gears 2 PC.

Pfhoenix said:
Epic doesn't owe anyone (other than its employees who have contracts that mandate Epic paying them) anything. They don't owe fans who bought UT another version of UT. They don't owe fans who want to play GoW a PC version. They don't owe you jack squat.

This is where you and the majority of this thread will have to agree to disagree. You see Epic becoming just another cut-throat company with their eye on nothing other than the money. Technically speaking, there is nothing wrong with this because that is, after all, the point of capitalism. The point of everyone else in this thread, regardless of how eloquently it is put, is that there was a time, not very long ago, when that was not the sort of company Epic was. When Epic was a company with its eye on the fanbase.

They don't owe anyone anything, technically speaking. Technically speaking, when your neighbor's house burns down, you don't owe him jack squat either. You have no obligations except to watch it burn and watch his life fall to ruin. Many people are rather fond of a human trait to give a **** about other people when you don't, strictly speaking, have to. Many people were rather fond of Epic's nature of caring about the fanbase and giving back to them when they didn't, strictly speaking, have to. When the Linux port was released with the game as a courtesy to non-windows users, and not as a 'pet project if at all'. When regular content patches were made, just because it was nice to do so (DE packs anyone?). When Epic felt they could admit they didn't do a great job (UT2K3) and make an honest attempt to fix it (UT2K4). There was a time when Epic was a company that was not just like EA.

But those times are gone, and this thread is not 'whining'. It is mourning. It is people seeing the final, indisputable evidence that Cliffy no longer gives two ****s about the community he made his name with. That he has decided to just watch the house of PC gaming burn down. People are upset that he is now wearing the Xbox logo just as proudly and with almost the same intentions/feelings as an EA employee wears their logo.

You may be content to just hand over your money to another faceless, cut-throat corporation. The rest of us have lost a dear friend, and it hurts.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
As a side note to all of this, regardless of what’s going on with Spore and all that, I’ve come to believe that the kind of person who’s savvy enough to have a high-end PC – to upgrade it, to figure the ins and outs of it and to make sure he has a solid system – probably knows what BitTorrent is. That’s all I’m saying.

SO... Cliff admits to being a pirate :lol:

btw, I purchased every game on all the PCs in our network.
That’s all I’m saying.

Now I don't have a top of the line comp but that is strictly due to my finances I biuld plenty of them for friends and coworkers my builds lasting way into obscurity with little to no problems so they are pretty rock solid systems. I have multiple certs and over a decade of expieriance with building and maintenace.

And yes I know what BitTorrent is. But I don't pirate games I view it as stupid and negligable to undermine a industry I am attempting to break into. Further more if some1 has the dough to keep a top of the line system up I think the crime of piracy is 10,000 times worse then for some1 who could never afford something ripping it off via BitTorrent or a warez site.

More on topic though. If cliffy wants every1 to 'give it a fair shake' epic is gonna have to multiplatform it 'cause there are alot of us who will not be playing it unless it's on PC.

I think GOW2 looks sweet, but currently it looks like I wont be playing it. Maybe if one of my friends who don't share my views on piracy gets a ROM I might check it out for a couple minutes.

And with that said, the violins played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfvCniyXM6E

Gah more too talented short people.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Microsoft trying to push Xheater360 sales?

:lol: Actually on my travels recently I saw a few people who have 360's and I did not see a game played on any one of them, I did however see them used alot for the simple task of playing DVD's :p

Epic doesn't owe anyone (other than its employees who have contracts that mandate Epic paying them) anything. They don't owe fans who bought UT another version of UT. They don't owe fans who want to play GoW a PC version. They don't owe you jack squat.

I concur but on the flipside I dont owe them any loyalties either so if they act like dicks I just tell em, Im not gonna run around like a blind zombie kissing their arses. Im pretty sure I have the right to disagree with them and in the end I know its up to them to make the decision right for their company.

Im just failing to care more and more about what Epic does these days which is not a good thing, I like getting in there are reading the developer interviews but things have been heading into the ****ter for a long time now about the only ones recently I can stand to read are coming from mr sweeny and thats all tech.

Whats internet dickishness got to do with a live game anyways thats one of the points I was trying to make but obviously everyone missed it. Why is Gears 2 plastered all over the internet when the only people who will be playing it are on live, or perhaps there is more to the whole thing.

As I said in another thread on the topic of piracy its the people who actually pay for their games who rip em and put plenty of high speed seeds up. Lets also not forget that on this very forum someone posted screenshots of GoW 360 torrents just days after its release!

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
And it's not like GoW2 would make me get an Xbox if it wasn't already a big waste for me.

Fable 2 would be that game.
Indeed. Fable 2 is the game I am considering for an X-Box...

Hm...I would give the game a "fair shake" after it gets released on PC and then cracked. Yes, I'm going to pirate and sh!t on it, Cliffy.

UnixPimp

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
What a bunch of crybabies.

Let's make sure this is perfectly clear.

They do not owe you jack ****.

I'm not happy with how UT3 turned out. It barely runs on my computer, but I put up with it in the hopes of putting in some quality modding time. I've since decided that modding UT3 is a waste of time. This doesn't mean I have some angst with Epic - I have a life, you see. I choose to not spend my life whining online to strangers I'll never meet on how much I dislike how my pasttime-of-choice is changing in ways I dislike.

I started in the Unreal community with Unreal. I consider myself out of the community now. All of you that are so ticked off at Epic making business decisions need to do the following :

1) educate yourself on basic economics and what it takes to keep a business lucrative
2) look up "lucrative"
3) understand that the best way to stay alive in a cutthroat market is to understand the entire userbase, not just a handful of "hardcore" or "oldschool" fans that bought your second big hit
4) shut the hell up

Also, a point for record - Epic Megagames, by which we say simply "Epic", is a proper noun and a singular entity. Using plural forms for verbs is incorrect, and should you say it out loud, you might hear just how stupid it sounds to say "Epic have this" or "Epic are that".

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

This is the first logical post on this thread.

If you want to play GoW2, then play it on your Xbox 360. If you do not have an Xbox 360, then get one, or go play some other game. I hear The Sims is out for the PC; go try that one.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
What a bunch of crybabies.

Let's make sure this is perfectly clear.

They do not owe you jack ****.

1) educate yourself on basic economics and what it takes to keep a business lucrative
2) look up "lucrative"
3) understand that the best way to stay alive in a cutthroat market is to understand the entire userbase, not just a handful of "hardcore" or "oldschool" fans that bought your second big hit
4) shut the hell up

There is a company that you might have heard, called Blizzard.
They did not owe Diablo fans 12-13 game addition patches
They could have released Starcraft Ghost (which by their standards was mediocre).
They don't owe Warcraft (RTS) support up to this day.

Still they seem to go out of their way in order to make sure that what they release is the ****. I would be surprised if EPIC or anyone else makes more money than Blizzard (10mil x15$/month lol cash overflow)

Edit: A Loyal fan base pays up in the long run (not only for games)

Last edited:

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
[SAS]Solid Snake;2194073 said:
Last I heard, Epic were still patching UT3.

When your online numbers are <1000, the product is beyond patching solutions. I criticize the game based on cosumer satisfaction and not on any arbitrary "quality" it may have.

EPIC demonstrated in the past that they know what to do if they drop the ball (UT2003->UT2004).

Consumers can forgive a company that did not deliver what they wanted, by releasing something better ASAP (and giving rebate options like they did with UT2003)

Pfhoenix

Programmer Extraordinaire
Dec 17, 1999
mep.beyondunreal.com
Still they seem to go out of their way in order to make sure that what they release is the ****. I would be surprised if EPIC or anyone else makes more money than Blizzard (10mil x15$/month lol cash overflow)

Edit: A Loyal fan base pays up in the long run (not only for games)

There's a critical difference between Epic and Blizzard - Blizzard fundamentally understands why their games are successful. It's why Blizzard can make a sequel that outperforms the prior games. It's why Blizzard is world renown for every game they make.

Epic shot a bulls-eye at 500 yards with their eyes closed with UT. That's exactly why they can't reproduce UT's success - they don't know what they did right. Oh sure, the gameplay was great. The graphics technology for the time was great. Problem is, those are subjective judgements. You need objective evaluations to be able to reproduce them. The litmus test of success is sales - Epic was shown that they missed the mark with UT3. They missed it hard. They have no reason to not shift focus to more successful properties. The only reason they're still working on patches is because they're still interested in keeping the UT community alive - be it by life-support or sheer force of will, because it's sure as hell not the thriving community they expected it to be.

As for fan loyalty - let's not kid ourselves. Loyalty only goes so far - as far as the next successful title, because loyalty doesn't increase sales in the long-term. Loyalty doesn't equate to product longevity - no amount of loyal fans will keep a company in the black if they don't make enough money to stay afloat. In the end, as with everything in economics, it's about profit, and the total equation is far more complex than "make the game your loyal fans want to play".

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Erm... don't know about that.
Diablo 2 was not better than Diablo 1.
Warcraft 2 was better than 1, don't know about 3.
Lost Vikings 1 was also better than Lost Vikings 2.

And that's pretty much all the sequels they made so far. How Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 will do remains to be seen. StarCraft 2 might be up for a major disappointment. But then again, Blizzard has major fanboism, so those titles might do just fine commercially.

Also, it's a bit weird to refer to companies like that. It's not the company that defines the game, but the team that is working on it.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I thought warcraft 2 was better in ways to the original but its like that with games, the graphics improve, systems get revised and made easier to use etc. That doesnt mean on a whole the game is better though :cool:

Also Diablo 2 vs the expansion is a fairly big difference :)

UnixPimp

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
There's a critical difference between Epic and Blizzard - Blizzard fundamentally understands why their games are successful. It's why Blizzard can make a sequel that outperforms the prior games. It's why Blizzard is world renown for every game they make.

Epic shot a bulls-eye at 500 yards with their eyes closed with UT. That's exactly why they can't reproduce UT's success - they don't know what they did right. Oh sure, the gameplay was great. The graphics technology for the time was great. Problem is, those are subjective judgements. You need objective evaluations to be able to reproduce them. The litmus test of success is sales - Epic was shown that they missed the mark with UT3. They missed it hard. They have no reason to not shift focus to more successful properties. The only reason they're still working on patches is because they're still interested in keeping the UT community alive - be it by life-support or sheer force of will, because it's sure as hell not the thriving community they expected it to be.

As for fan loyalty - let's not kid ourselves. Loyalty only goes so far - as far as the next successful title, because loyalty doesn't increase sales in the long-term. Loyalty doesn't equate to product longevity - no amount of loyal fans will keep a company in the black if they don't make enough money to stay afloat. In the end, as with everything in economics, it's about profit, and the total equation is far more complex than "make the game your loyal fans want to play".

The problem with all these WATB is that many of them are still living at home in mom's basement, sit at their computers 24/7, and often forget to wipe the Cheetos dust from their keyboards.

If some of them actually go to class, like economics or accounting, and pay attention, they would understand your argument.

Once a person graduates from school - high school and/or college - and works 40+ a week at a job, you really start to understand these concepts.

Don't expect that here in this forum.