CenterView Issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which aiming device do you use ?

• I use a Joystick with CenterView

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I use a Joystick but dont need CenterView

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • I use a Keyboard and need CenterView

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I use a Mouse or Trackball

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • I use another aiming device that requires CenterView

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I use another aiming device but dont need CenterView

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Tarantella

Dances with spiders.
Apr 1, 2001
Visit site
I have no problem with people playing the game as it was designed on public servers but when it comes to clan matches 'the playing field' should be a level one and the game should be one of dexterity and skill never the ability to write aliases and binds.

If that means one key press= one action and no onrelease action then so be it.

Can anyone argue against that?

StarKilLer{MOK}

Nov 1, 2001
ATL
www.web-illusions.net
Centreview

Centreview is legal.
Plain & Simple.
It's in the Game.

Oh, and don't give me this BS about it being cheating since it levels to head level to enable head shots.
My GOD Grow-up. Epic could have placed the cross-hairs anywhere, but they placed them in that area for a reason.
So when you hit it, your aiming at the head.
Centerview=Center in the area where you can hit the target & see what is coming down the pipe.
Epic set it. Let them take it out. It's their game.

Or do this.
If your going to put it in, at least make it Optional.

Do the leagues own Epic?
I think not.
So therefore Epic makes the game how they want it. You choose to play in a league that prohibits certain actions such as gesture and Taunts. Epic made the feature avail. They gave us gamers the choice to use or not use them and to make leagues that condone or do not condone them.

Now as for keybinds. Like the Gesture ones.
Thats up to the league. I personally don't like them binded with a movement key. If binded by themselves to a regular key, then cool. Either way Key Binds are a feature of the game. There for if they are in a mod such as CSHP they should be optional, not totally banned. Any Feature of the game should be optional. Any Mod such as and AIMBOT is another story.

StarKilLer{MOK}

Nov 1, 2001
ATL
www.web-illusions.net
Originally posted by Tarantella
I have no problem with people playing the game as it was designed on public servers but when it comes to clan matches 'the playing field' should be a level one and the game should be one of dexterity and skill never the ability to write aliases and binds.

If that means one key press= one action and no onrelease action then so be it.

Can anyone argue against that?

Yes. The game should be played the way it is designed. That means all features that are avail can be used if you know how and care to read about how to do it and can figure out how to acomplish it. It was designed with this feature in mind. Otherwise why would the information be made available on Epic's Site?

Tarantella

Dances with spiders.
Apr 1, 2001
Visit site
Use of centreview is not cheating I agree but its not necessary to have it in the game either.

Remeber too,we dont play the game it was originally designed .

There have been several patches that radically altered the original play and no reason why it wont or cant be altered again.

We had to put up for a whole year with text spamming from immature idiots till Epic pulled its finger out and changed that.

The tele spamming was another thing that needed stopping by the designers.

If games companies want to be taken more seriously by the online commnuity perhaps they should design their fps games with not so much emphasis on the eye candy but consider more the sort of things people will get up to when they start digging into configs,aliases and scripts.

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Yes it's in the game.

Yes of course it was made for people to get super easy headshots and not really to help keyboard users :rolleyes:

If you honestly can't see why it's an abuse and not part of the game you're a llama through and through with a lame character.

If your only defense is that "it's available to everyone" then you miss the point because UT coming out was just one stage of its evolution and many things have been "fixed" since then. A black skin is also available to everyone as is impact hammer boot launching. Yet these are frowned upon is some places.

Go learn to aim, llamas. You can bind that CV button to "I am the alpha and the Omega" when it's disabled.

GG!

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by Ve7

If you honestly can't see why it's an abuse and not part of the game you're a llama through and through with a lame character.

I do not appreciate being called a llama because I don't share your point of view, so an apology would be nice, thank you. To me, grouping everyone who doesn't share your POV into a "llama" category is worse, so chew on that for a while.

This is not as big of a problem as everyone is bitching it up to be. If Epic had thought it was a big problem, they would patch it out. They haven't, so apparently, it isn't such a big deal. The only reason it's a big deal now is because a few people had to make it one. Two years and no one EVER complained about CV. NOW all of a sudden it's a big deal? Give me a friggin break. After CV gets patched out, what will be whined about next? The Pulse is too fast? Sniper rifle is too accurate? Flak fires too many shards, shock combos are overpowered?

Try listening to me for once, people, and for the third time, try to aim with a keyboard. Notice how you can not fine tune your aim like you can with a mouse. If you can take my head off like that constantly, then I commend you.

Now, go try this and get a clue. You can't fine tune your aim like with a mouse. That's the last time I'm saying this.

No Soup For You

I got your PM right HERE!
LOL

Originally posted by Ve7

Go learn to aim, llamas. You can bind that CV button to "I am the alpha and the Omega" when it's disabled.

GG!

LOL - Oh yeah Baby! :D

Sorry - I'd have to agree that laying on the CV button so that you only have to aim in one axis is lame and not how CV was intended to be used. You are supposed to aim with both up and down motions. Pressing the CV button once to center your view (hey - they should call it that) is fine. Holding it down so that you can snipe easier is lame. But do whatever you want - I don't care. I'm playing offline against bots and they all cheat even more than Nightmare ;)

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Re: LOL

Originally posted by No Soup For You

I'm playing offline against bots and they all cheat even more than Nightmare ;)

Hey while we're at it, let's write a patch that takes NSFY out of UT. It should deny just him access. When he tries accessing it, it will crash his computer with the message "HAHAHAHAHAHHA".

I can't stand that lamer. ;):D

LittleFlower

Jun 14, 2000
NL
www.fce2.de
DarkByte, to get back to the subject .....

I think you should not worry about players using the joystick. I think 95%+ of the players that use a joystick use it in combination with a mouse or a trackball. They use the mouse/trackball to aim, and the joystick for movement. So they don't need CenterView at all. I feel that if you give CSHP an option to disallow CV, you will not hurt (m)any people.

And yes, IMHO using CV to improve your sniper aim is a bit tasteless. I think even a large part of the people who use CV (because of competitive reasons) will actually agree with this. They just use it because everybody else does. Once servers have an option to disallow it, you will see that people forget about CV quickly and start doing normal aim again.

Go for it !

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Hmmm, this is getting weirder by the post. I very much doubt someone can know for sure that he is getting sniped by a CVer, I mean you can never know somebody is aimbotting for sure either. How can you get so pissed off at a feature whose advantages are arguable. All these attacks against CV are really funny and in some cases totally uncalled for:
ROFL. Dude, pretty quick to judge others in the worst possible way, aren't you? Listen, I think you're in the wrong forum. To my mind (and I'm pretty sure to most of the people in here) your definition of a llama is not appropriate. At all. Otherwise all US leagues would be run by llamas since IHBJ is allowed. Either apologize or let it all out. Don't try to sound serious and l337 while at the same time getting away with calling half the posters in a thread llamas. Go all out 12year old on us.

[Z]Moose

Oct 6, 2000
www.clanzenkai.com
I didn't read any of the replies but was thinking instead of getting rid of CV can we just make it so it aims a little bit higher or lower than the headshot level? Like have it aim at the body (mid chest) or better yet above the head a bit so people can't exploit it like they do for head shots.

Thanks.

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Above whose head? The guy standing right beside you? You'd have to be looking at the stars to avoid that. Above the guy's standing on the other side of the map? But if someone crosses your line of fire you'll get a head shot - you'd be using CV for getting head shots and we don't want that :).

Can't be done.

XeneX

Volatile
Aug 21, 2000
Swindon, Wiltshire
Phew, what a thread....

Originally Posted by StarKiller
Yes. The game should be played the way it is designed. That means all features that are avail can be used if you know how and care to read about how to do it and can figure out how to acomplish it.

Right-o, /me sets off to implement his black-texture skin and piston camp while 'deemer flag launching

Originally Posted by Nem
This is not as big of a problem as everyone is bitching it up to be. If Epic had thought it was a big problem, they would patch it out. They haven't, so apparently, it isn't such a big deal. The only reason it's a big deal now is because a few people had to make it one. Two years and no one EVER complained about CV. NOW all of a sudden it's a big deal? Give me a friggin break. After CV gets patched out, what will be whined about next? The Pulse is too fast? Sniper rifle is too accurate? Flak fires too many shards, shock combos are overpowered?

Plz dont go into "if Epic blah", Epic didn't really look into a lot of things that have become apparant since the release, but have they patched it to stop Redeemer Launching, Piston Camping, blah...Heck, they could've at least tried to stop the possible addition of aimbots.
Nem, you kinda contradicted yourself there. It IS a big deal now because people have started to abuse it NOW, simple as that. Nobody ever complained about aimbots before, now they do, its the same deal. Nobody abused CV before, now they are.

Originally Posted by NSFY
Sorry - I'd have to agree that laying on the CV button so that you only have to aim in one axis is lame and not how CV was intended to be used. You are supposed to aim with both up and down motions. Pressing the CV button once to center your view (hey - they should call it that) is fine. Holding it down so that you can snipe easier is lame.

Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by Nem
Try listening to me for once, people, and for the third time, try to aim with a keyboard. Notice how you can not fine tune your aim like you can with a mouse. If you can take my head off like that constantly, then I commend you.

Now, go try this and get a clue. You can't fine tune your aim like with a mouse. That's the last time I'm saying this.

Ok, I'm betting 99.9% of all UT players use something other than keyboard-only. Hence, they dont need CV.

Originally Posted by Pope
I very much doubt someone can know for sure that he is getting sniped by a CVer, I mean you can never know somebody is aimbotting for sure either

I guess I'm facing a CV'er when they cant hit me for crap on uneven ground, but they're taking my head off by the dozen on level-ground...
Aimbots are easy to spot :p

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Aimbots are easy to spot
:) I'm not talking about the newbies. I'm talking about good players that have an aimbot on/off toggle switch and that use the aimbot only sparingly - Don't tell me you can spot those too :p.
I guess I'm facing a CV'er when they cant hit me for crap on uneven ground, but they're taking my head off by the dozen on level-ground...
Never met a player like this yet. Either they out-snipe me or they don't, regardless of their position relative to me. Of course, if CV starts getting used more widely this could change.
For some unknown reason, I find that the most important factor in sniping is ping. hmmmm. Maybe Epic should make it so that you are not allowed you to use the sniper rifle if your ping is below 50. How's that? I think it's pretty lame for people to ping rape me with the sniper rifle. Go learn to predict, LPB llamas. :p

Seriously now, let's take a step back. What is the problem here?
It is that a bunch of people have decided that the correct way to play UT is with a mouse/kb combination and without a CV bind. Why without CV? Well, probably because no one thought of using CV from the start. Now it is considered an unfair advantage because these people have 'wasted' so much time practicing aiming and the newbies get a head start. Some may also argue that it is an unnatural way to aim - doh - no comment on this one. It's the same with IHBJing. A bunch of people decided that it is lame and makes CTF matches too fast or whatever, so it was banned in some leagues (mostly euro I think).

It all comes down to how many people this CV issue actually bothers and how many of these have a 'loud voice' in the UT community. I just find it extremely annoying (and sad) that sniping h0s with sub50 pings are whining about a feature saying that newbies can now snipe as well as them.

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by Nemephosis

I do not appreciate being called a llama because I don't share your point of view, so an apology would be nice, thank you. To me, grouping everyone who doesn't share your POV into a "llama" category is worse

http://www.mp3crave.com/template/dobe/newstory/Crying Baby.jpg

No way. You aren't being called a llama because you don't share my point of view, you're being called a llama because you hold one specific point of view i.e. that it's ok to use a bind and cut out 50% of the aiming for you on occasion. That's the same kind of person who'd cheat on an exam or skank their friends imnho. I play UT with my friends and I wouldn't dream of cheating while playing them. Hence yuo = llama. And that's the nearest thing you're getting to an apology from me Mr Skankston-llama.

If Epic had thought it was a big problem, they would patch it out.

Thanks for fixing the aimbot Epic! And making an easy bind to switch teams! And creating valhalla avatar! And making that really great demo player! :rolleyes:

Two years and no one EVER complained about CV. NOW all of a sudden it's a big deal? Give me a friggin break.

Actually it has been a big deal in Tac Ops before patching, where the guns are much harder to aim because of recoil yet some enterprising individual found that by holding down CV you eliminated recoil (an important part of the game because it means you have to shoot in short bursts and then re aim). With CV it's locked at head height and recoil was "bypassed".

Obviously this was then extended to UT proper and there you go - now it was a widespread problem whereas perhaps it was not so well known before. What do you want a "friggin break" from?

The problem is people who USE A MOUSE and also USE CV. SIMULTANEOUSLY. Obviously you have missed the entire point of this discussion. I suggest most humbly it is in fact you who requires the assistance of external enlightenment and therefore I invite you to try out the same "clue" you so graciously offered me.

And if you complain because you are using a keyboard then you probably suck anyway so your opinion is worth much less. THanks for attempting to play UT!

Last edited:

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by Pope
Dude, pretty quick to judge others in the worst possible way, aren't you? Listen, I think you're in the wrong forum. To my mind (and I'm pretty sure to most of the people in here) your definition of a llama is not appropriate. At all. Otherwise all US leagues would be run by llamas since IHBJ is allowed.

Originally posted by Ve7
A black skin is also available to everyone as is impact hammer boot launching. Yet these are frowned upon in some places .

Reading comprehension is your friend. The point was that a community makes it's own rules. One league can ban IHBJ and one can allow it yet IHBJs are in the game AS ARE black skins etc. Hence just because it's "in the game" is not complete and only reason enough to argue for something remaining.

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Ve7

Stop. Sit back for a day or two (more if required - we'll all still be here). Think (I know, I know, it sucks but we have to do it sometimes). Decide on what a llama is. Think again. Then, and only then, come back to this forum and post calling the respective people llamas. Read your post using the Preview Reply button. Re read your post. Press Submit.

Follow the above instructions carefully. This way you can manage to avoid:
- having to post silly pictures of babies to support your views
- having to muster up the guts to apologize but only getting as far as "And that's the nearest thing you're getting to an apology from me Mr Skankston-llama."
- writing completely incomprehensible paragraphs that start with "Reading comprehension..."
- having to support your views with statements on other people's skills "...you probably suck anyway so your opinion is worth much less."

StarKilLer{MOK}

Nov 1, 2001
ATL
www.web-illusions.net
Black Skins

Correct me if I am wrong, but does UT come with a Black Skin, is it in any bonus packs? I would like to know since the black skins i being used as such that it is considered part of the game. If it's not on the cd, in the patch or bonus pack, then it is not part of the original game.
Like I said before, play the game with what it comes with and no addons(IE Aimbots) and that is how it was meant to be played. Yes it was meant to be played with addons, but if you play the game without the external addons, then you see how it was intended to be played. And that should carry over to any mods or addons if the players want any trace of authenticity.

Angus

Jan 24, 2000
Edmonton,AB,Canada
www.damclan.com
Well this discussion sure got heated!

I have a suggestion that would please most I think but I am unsure if it could be done? Darkbyte?

My suggestion is this. Allow CV to work as I believe it was intended (that is to center your view) but do not allow the button to be held down continually. So you press CV it centers your view but you cannot hold it down so it levels your aim.

Comments?