1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CenterView Issue

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by DarkByte, Nov 16, 2001.

?

Which aiming device do you use ?

1. I use a Joystick with CenterView

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. I use a Joystick but dont need CenterView

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I use a Keyboard and need CenterView

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I use a Mouse or Trackball

40 vote(s)
    76.9%
  5. I use another aiming device that requires CenterView

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. I use another aiming device but dont need CenterView

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Sir Questor=UTK=

Sir Questor=UTK= Skilled

I commend you for your attitude here. It is refreshing and to the point.

I will ask, again, if it is within the scope of intent for the wondeful people that provide CSHP to decide to rewrite the game because of the views of some.

If I were to pose ANY topic, there would be those who would have a problem with it. Whether it be that shock combo's are too powerful or the mini too much.

Just think of the games that you have played and tell me that you haven't heard someone complain about the way that you fragged them, no matter what way that was.

My true feeling here is that this is just another tweak or tool of the game and that anything that can be used without actually writing codes or scripts is fair and available to EVERY player in the game. If you say that it is half of an aimbot, the so be it, you can use it the same as anyone else does.

I am considered to be a pretty good player and I have been using the same thing in a different way since I got the game the week it was released. It is a tool that comes into play to a minor extent, in my game. If you think that I or any decent player need this to frag you. You are mistaken. I use it because I'm used to it keeping me oriented to my surroundings and for those occasions when my movement leaves me pointing at the floor.

Even if others use it solely to get a frag, it doesn't make it wrong. I have played guys who could lock up a RL almost instantly. Does this irritate me? Surely. Do they cheat? No. I just wish that I could do this.

Mr. Darkbyte. You will do whatever you feel is right; but, I think that you should question youself on what is your real right to do this. Because of the excellent work that you do, you weild extreme power over this game and will affect thousands of players. This kind of decision would scare me. I trust that you will do the right thing here. Talk to your conscience here because YOU have to live with the decision.

2. ThunderBirdUT

ThunderBirdUT Dangerously Player

I am using Logitech iFeel Optical mouse with USB for AIM.
    I use Keyboard for movement.

I wish I have 3D Glasses with sensors for AIM.

eh... any one have? eh eh..

ThunderBirdUT
    [​IMG]

3. Ve7

Ve7 Rest In Peace

Re: Ve7

Each to their own eh? Obviously condescending sarcasm is your tool of choice. A tool for a tool then. They say it's the lowest form of wit you know. I'll post here until an admin tells me not to, but thanks so much anyway for your helpful advice.

It was no apology fool, not even a half-assed one. No one asked you to click on the link and it wasn't posted as a picture. Again, learning to read and understand will serve you well later in life.

"incomprehensible" roofle. So because you can't understand English, it's somehow my fault? I'll remember to dumb it down for you next time I address you. You really are making yourself look very stupid. Which amuses me. Thanks!

Someone who plays on a keyboard and self confessedly accepts they don't have the precision aim possible with a mouse has no place opining on the removal of something which affects people who play the game far more and to a higher standard. Just as a newbie has no place opining on such things. It's not going to affect their game for very long is it?

4. XeneX

XeneX Volatile

Re: Black Skins

Not so much a skin, but UT can be told to use a completely black texture (which comes with the game) as a skin. Hence, everyone sees the player's skin as black

Thats an idea. Probably one of the better posts in this whole thread..

5. DarkByte

DarkByte LLama Killer

After carefully reading all the posts (good and bad ones) i believe that i can come to a sound conclusion that everyone will appreciate. That was the goal of this poll, to see what could/should be done about it. I am not pretending to be the new UT god that has the power to change the game totally. What i want is that everyone enjoys the game like it "should" be enjoyed.

Facts i gathered about centerview:
    1) it is required by some users
    2) it was not meant for mouse aimers
    3) it has become a problem only recently
    4) it IS half an aimbot in its current abuse
    5) those that need it dont need it constantly

So, here is how i believe i will fix the situation,

I will put a delay to Centerview usage. One will not be able to hold Centerview key to do all those head shots. One will not be able to constantly tap the CV key to achieve the same goal as holding it. I believe that a 2 seconds delay between use would be appropriate.

I wish to thank Angus for leading me to that solution. I took his suggestion and improved on it.

I am not yet back to full coding speed (emergency at work) so i still expect some feedback on the solution i selected.

Thank you,
    DB

6. XeneX

XeneX Volatile

Yey, nice work DarkByte

7. Ve7

Ve7 Rest In Peace

Great news.

:cool:

8. Angus

Angus New Member

Good stuff and your welcome Darkbyte, with all the hard work you team does I'm glad I could contribute in a small way

9. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

well better late than never...
    sounds like a good idea, to only partially disable it to being abused, not to being unable to use it at all...
    but and itsa big but, only if you dont increase the 'checking' and overhead that utpure has to kill us modem users even more...
    cshp servers have become increasingly unplayable to dialup modemrs because of this, pls dont add even more slowdowns by checking for something like this that really isnt that important...
    then again if you can do it without much turnaround, go for it :)

10. DarkByte

DarkByte LLama Killer

NYGrrrrl ... did you try an UTPure server lately ?

My feeling is that it will feel much smoother to you.

Regarding implementation of CV prevention, i believe it will integrate seemlessly into the package and won't add any lag or FPS slowdown. As usual, i will make the setting optional so that server owners that do not want to block it will have the option.

11. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Good idea DB. I like it.

Ve7: :rolleyes:

if you want to continue this little crapfest, how about sending me a private message. I'm not lowering myself to your level of attacks in public thanks. Any further comments may be sent to me via PM. If I don't hear from you, you'll hear from me. Either way, we settle this.

12. Ve7

Ve7 Rest In Peace

I'm sorry I don't care enough about you to to communicate with you via PM. In fact I don't even check them.

But do we really still have anything to settle? I just read this

And of course you took exception to being called a llama when you voluntarily included yourself in my target group of:

However since you now can see why it's abuse you no longer fall into my (personal imho yadda yadda) llama category according to that sentence.

So do we really still have anything to settle? Hope we don't.

13. Pope

Pope New Member

Darkbyte: sounds pretty good and it doesn't look like anyone will have a problem with this arrangement. :)

ve7: ok, ok. Be sure to post in the next thread that touches on issues like these. Your opinion on who is a llama and who isn't will surely be required again. High form of wit such as this, advanced English and knowledge of the l337's do's and don't's are the spice of any forum. Do not make us poorer. We need your input.

14. Ve7

Ve7 Rest In Peace

Pope you turned around pretty quickly eh. :rolleyes:

Well I guess getting owned is reason enough to turn tail and retreat like a gibbering idiot. Do you get bullied at school? If not, you ought to, just for being a t\/\/at [edit: lol censored].

You're evidently a bit thick, since you can't understand English when it's written correctly [well as correct as I can make it anyway; I'm sure others could pick it apart] and not only do you fail to understand it you denouce it as "incomprehensible". You're the worst kind of idiot, the type who rather than acknowledge that they are hampered by reduced intellectual capacity actively encourages everyone else to dumb down to their level. It's for people like you that the rest of us have to suffer "Caution: hot" on McDonalds coffee cups.

So now suddenly my "incomprehensible" English has become "advanced"? What did you do, print it out and ask your teacher for help? Or did it just take some time? Don't worry about it, the world needs slow people too. By the way I do understand that for some people, especially on the internet, English isn't their first language but you chose to start it in this case.

Why not follow your own posting advice when you are ready to spam again? Because you fail to understand what's been said, post an idiot reply, don't respond to my refutations of your points and then type an extrememly weak attempt at a supercilious sounding post which really is nothing but spam.

Never fear, next time there is an issue surrounding the game I love and play every day, and when it's a discussion that actually will affect the game in a pretty important way (as opposed to being a normal discussion full of hot air for no other purpose) I'll be sure to have my $0.02 along with everyone else, whether you sanction it or not. :rolleyes: Who are you anyway?

Anyway you have been owned and if you want to try again just let me know.

PS Who was the "us" and "we" you referred to in your posts before? Was it a collective "we"? i.e. were you presuming to speak up for the whole of BuF? Or was it more of a Royal "we"? Whatever it was, why don't you try speaking just for yourself next time, once you get that right then you can try speaking for others too.

15. Ghostgeek][

Ghostgeek][ Tomb Renter

I agree with Ve7 on using raw skill as opposed to any key bind (especially in the case of Shock Combo's,X-Loc'ing, and Hammer Jumps), though Ve7 has been rather "over-heated" about this to others. :D

[GTF]Ghostgeek][ a.k.a. Ghostie a.k.a. 56kWarrior

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2001
  16. The_Inflictor

The_Inflictor Honest and unmerciful

DarkByte:

Why can't you just disable CV (grey out the box) when mouse look is selected?

17. Pope

Pope New Member

Ve7

What are you on about? I have not turned around in any way. This is starting to remind me of other forums where kiddies talk about school, beating eachother up at LANs, using their fathers' weapons etc.

You called people llamas, you talked about reading comprehension. I tried to set things straight. You don't want to apologize, fine. I'm not getting into this "I said this, you said that, my english, your english, I am a bully at school (good for you btw), you're thick, slow, fool, idiot, **** etc" business. You want to feel stronger? Smarter? l337er? Better English? Quite alright by me. Whatever makes you feel good. What I don't like is people referring to me as a llama, that is not $0.02, it's more like $1.99. I've been here quite a while and have read quite a few threads in that time. I don't recall posters calling others llamas. If you choose to try your luck against the admins on this issue, that's your choice.

I have been owned...

18. cryco

cryco Quasi-Genius

Wo there.
    Don't screw with the centerview too much. I need it. WHy? Cause sometimes I move my optical mouse too fast and it does that thing where it makes you look at the ceiling or floor real fast. I lose my bearing.
    The only way to get my orientation back really fast is centerview. If you don't mess with that, go right ahead.
    And it happens often enough.

19. turnip

turnip New Member

the only thing that is humorus

is the people defending cv, when they had never used it

20. Xayd

Xayd :\

No, Angus, IMHO still not good enough. Click/fire, click/fire, click/fire. The only difference there is you have you click CV each time you fire, it's still there.

It needs to aim waist-high, approximately. The problem is it centers on a headshot. If it weren't for the headshot, no one would care.

No one has to put anti-CV mods on their pubs, after all. If you want to be a haven for CV snipers, by all means, go ahead. Your server will end up populated by the same caliber of player who plays on zero-ping all Face servers and DM servers with relics and translocators ;).

I think DarkByte's solution will work nicely. There will be those that try to use it, I'm sure, but as long as they can't simply hold the button down a ton of progress has been made.

That's the point. Like I mentioned earlier, there are those out there that have played every day for two years to practice their skills. And those people are rightfully annoyed at anyone who can head shot them with no moves, no aim, no skill, just a bind to hold down while scanning horizontally.

Define community? There's a difference in people who just play offline or whatever, and those who play competitively, and then again those who play online but just on pubs. No one is asking offline players to download CSHP to ensure that they don't cheat themselves, and no one is forcing pub server admins to run CSHP mods they don't like.

This is a competitive scenario discussion, not a discussion for the shortcomings of keyboard aim ;).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2001