1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bulletstorm 2 Shelved - PC Pirates "A Big Problem"

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Severin

Severin New Member

Same old Epic BullSh*t. I suppose Pc pirates are the reason the game failed on Playstation and Xbox too.

Give them six months and they will be gushing about how awesome the Pc is as a platform which will continue right up until the point when Unreal Gears of Tetris or what ever they are making for the pc in their spare time fails terribly.

Going from the demo, the reason Bulletstorm failed was because it was dull uninspired and not very good. Though of course admitting that would bruise a couple of massive ego's and that would never do. Much easier to fall back on the old standby it was all because of Pirates.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

Make a game worth playing and promote it worth buying. Make potential players fans of the game and by supporting fans to support themselves. Fans are the bread and milk of a top-selling title and fans can affect other random buyer to consider buying one.
    But for all that to happen, a game must be polished as much as possible. You know even a piece of turd can be polished like a diamond. What can't? :D

3. QAPete

QAPete Chief Muckety Muck

There are several very effective ways for software companies to protect the content of their games to the point where piracy is a minimal problem, at best. There are other issues here:

1) It was a horrible port, by most accounts.
    2) A large number of people are not playing PC-based games anymore. Gaming has gone the way of consoles, iPads and iPhones more and more over the years.

It should also be noted that people who casually pirate a game would not necessarily have purchased it if they couldn't get it for free, hence, no "lost" sales there. Just people playing a game that was out there, available for download.

4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I have to agree with everyone saying the game was absolutely not worth the $60 price tag, which I also said in our review of the game, on the very last line nonetheless. It was a decent game that probably would have seen decent success if it had launched under $30. I mean, the game is not without flaws. You can see them right there in the review, but it had its moments. I really think GFWL was one of the worst mistakes made with it, on PC at least.

5. Princess_Die

Princess_Die Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned

Kill with skill got killed by steal.

6. Miko

Miko Mikommander

Sounds like an EA fed press run at that

7. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I a little lost. So pirates made the game a piece of shit? How does that work? Why would you hire pirates to ruin your generic space marine sci fi game?

8. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

This is true, but it is not like the PC game marked is not worth exploiting. Look at Steam. The recent shift to tablet gaming is percent based, not numbers based. As in, the tablet scene is growing, but the PC scene is not necessarily decreasing. There are plenty of successful PC games out there. They just aren't bad.

9. 213

213 New Member

Epic still makes games? o.0

10. Bgood

Bgood New Member

Gabe Newell said Portal 2 sold better on PC than it did on consoles. Wonder how many Skyrim sold on PC, considering there were 230,000 playing the game on Steam early on the day of release?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. KDR_11k

KDR_11k [make art]

The game was clearly aimed at consoles so why do they blame the PC for the game's failure? Piracy may not result in sales but it doesn't negate the sales that you make either so the consoles should have sold the main bulk of the units.

12. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Now that is dissappointing and insulting statement from company who used to make great PC titles :(
    Blaming your incompetence and/or lazyness on PC gamers is really lame.
    Anyhow Bulletstorm 2 probably wasn't something to shed tears for.

13. Bersy

Bersy New Member

This is probably the second or third time I've seen them blame subpar sales performance on PC piracy. So why isn't every other company crying about it? Why are studios still making games for PC? Why are you, Epic? Why did you just announce a PC exclusive title?

14. Tzuiop

Tzuiop New Member

2.11 Million according to vgchartz compared to 5.76 on the Xbox and i think that this data is based on retail sales only. Anyway the PC port of Skyrim was as lousy as Bulletstorm ...well to be fair it was better due to moding. In Bulletstorm you couldn't even tweak the ini files.
    Hm if I think so ony the UI was crap but how can you fuck that up if you spend that much time in the inventory. It is mandatory for such a game.

But you are all right, Epic should better stop complaining. Bulletstorm was enjoyable but not worth its startup price.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  15. Wulff

Wulff Bola Gun fun anyone?

After reading reviews, I found the game too bad to pirate.

16. RoadKillGrill

RoadKillGrill Got Lead?

I played it on PS3 briefly, it wasn't a game to run out to buy at $60 It seemed ok but not going to be memorable to me.

I eventually got it on steam for $20, and I have to say its an awful port. What button is T1?! The quicktime events become very confusing with the key binds I use on PC.

I have needed to restart missions 3 times for getting stuck, first time an NPC cornered me and I couldn't get out because I can't jump. Second time An NPC got stuck and never left the elevator. Third time I slid into a physics junk and got stuck..... again. I'm not past act1 this is making it hard to keep me motivated to complete the game.

17. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

RKG, you're doing it wrong! :p

18. Bort

Bort nou

yeah... well... fuck you too Epic!

[​IMG]

19. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

I would've bought it if there wasn't GFWL on there.

20. StreetPreacher

StreetPreacher New Member

FTA:
    If both of these were true, then there would be a 2nd. Nobody in this industry doesn't make a sequel to a game that is critically successful and sells well. Or at least nobody who can afford to.

Everyone knows that it was a mildly entertaining game that screamed budget title from the word go, and suffered from a few missteps. *cough*GFWL*cough* They should fund another round with a $20-30 target price and incorporate lessons learned (AND campaign co-op!) rather than just abandon the IP. I'd buy it.