PSA: Epic Games Forums Hacked

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
On July 14th Epic Games forums were hacked resulting in a hacker gaining access to all the information stored in the database.

The data the hacker gained access to includes: your email, date of birth and password which we know was only an MD5 of an MD5+SALT of your password which means there is a chance your password has been decrypted.

If you use the same password in other locations, especially your email account it is suggested you change your password as quickly as possible.

Like me you can't remember which password you used for those forums you may have to spend the weekend updating passwords for everything.

beefsack

the authority in beef
Nov 22, 2002
Canberra, Australia
beefsack.blogspot.com
We're at a point now where MD5 shouldn't even be seen as a one way hash, it's so simple to reverse that it's basically an expensive encoding nowadays.

I wouldn't say there's a chance it's been decrypted, I'd say it's almost a guarantee.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
lol my password was still a generated one from after the previous breach

maxdamage

Unreal Series Fan for life!
Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
Well Epic Games forums were hacked again earlier this year and although I am happy they are back up, the UT3,UT2k3\4 sub-forums are gone... :( Those forums were gold and extremely helpful! My threads\topics and posts there are gone.Been a member there for a long time,been finishing off a port of a ctf map from UT99 that I had started years ago which I am glad is almost finished.:D Not happy that some ass has registered my username at the new UT forums else I would have registered there recently..:stick:

I am still active in the sense of fixing up my maps and few other ports I am working on slowly but surely...I am working on UT\UT2k4 and UT3 maps but haven't touched most of them in a while but I plan to finish them.Don't know whether I will announce the maps that I haven't mentioned at the Unreal Playgrounds or here?

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
given the way it was destined to be with the latest activity being a couple of repacker dorks with an importance complex (you know who, one was banned here) beta mirrorers (as opposed to testing/feedback, mirroring against author's wishes), and old topics bumped to the front with a new dead file mirror burying the new stuff that was being made, i can't say i blame them for closing a creatively dead forum down.

parkisg

Nov 19, 2011
I still hope they put the old UT200X/UT3 forums back up or at least have them archived so we can still look through the old threads.
I have projects I am still working on as well, and hope the last of us can still have our fun.

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
Well I was semi-active at the Epic Games forums either helping others,asking for help with something but it is a shame that it is "gone" and no explanation,etc...All the resources,posts,etc... Sure I have done a number of ports but I was hoping that I could once I have finished\fixed up my UT\UT2k4\UT3 maps including ports I could start threads\topics there as it is "THE" forum for it. Still love playing UT\UT2k4 and I still need help when I can get around to work on my UT3 maps as I am somewhat clueless on using the editor and as a result have no clue where to ask for help when I will need it. :(

I am sure a few members of the Unreal community would love to have the forums fully restored and made more secure and not just me.I just can't understand why the forums were targeted anyway?There is nothing of real value except its only value is that it exists online and as a result a possible target. :( Really SAD! :(

Now I have to use the archived copy of the forums in the hopes to find the download links to map\mod\model\mutator or character audio mods I had bookmarked there as I just bookmarked the map\mod\model\mutator or character audio mod thread\topic. :(

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
@parkisg
I haven't gotten around to re-porting the Dead Space 2 Advanced Suit over to UT2k4 yet. Just that once I do that I have I have to rename the ut3 animation sequences to the UT2k4 equivalent.Not sure if you have had a chance to read the emails I sent to you about it?Maybe you could try when you get the chance to?

I also still like those versions of UT. :)

Thanks.

BTW Someone here who is a member at the new forums should really get Epic to restore the forums for members like us and make sure we can log-in there and the new forums and not have some a$$ take your username and @$%#%^^ it up.

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
I got what can be considered "official" response about the Epic Games forums from Epic Games:
Those forums are no longer active and our UT forums have moved to the forums below:
http://forums.unrealtournament.com

If you don’t have an account here, you will need to create a new one in order to access the forums for the older versions of UT.

Thanks so much!
That is bad news about the Epic Games forum... :( Which means we have to find a copy of the forums that were archived just before the last hack to find our stuff we were working on etc.... We could use the Beyond Unreal forums as a "replacement" Epic Games forums if that is okay with the Beyond Unreal Forum Admins and Mods? I am trying to reclaim my username at the new UT forums as someone registered it there but they haven't used it at all but that is taking some time.

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
I have good news and bad news.Good news is that the UT3\UT2k3\UT2k4 sub forums at Epic Games is back.

The bad news is that it is still locked and you can't log in and we are all guests atm... :( Here is the link to the UT2k3\UT2k4 sub forums at Epic Games Forums.

Why Epic? Why? :boom: :chainsaw::rant:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Thanks for posting the link to the old forums maxdamage! A lot of good archived stuff was there. As for your username, sorry to hear about that, maybe you could use something like "maxdamagebuf" to differentiate...

parkisg

Nov 19, 2011
Oh yes very cool, at least we have the archive of the old forums. Lots of stuff there, and pics still working as well.
Yo maxdamage, I haven't had a chance to look at my emails if you sent recently, will do.

I was also thinking of posting some of the stuff I have been working on. Yet not sure since I can't post were I'm used to.
Maybe here at BeyondUnreal or the new forums. Either way just wanted to finish up some of the stuff I never shared.
I would hope many users from the old forums could join in as well. It would be cool if others could archive game mods on
ModDB or any of the other remaining sites. Just to keep as much of it alive as possible.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Sorry about the necropost, but it seems best to revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Just wondering if there is any chance of getting into my old account at Epic Games. Then again, if the UT stuff is only an archive, then what's the point? I believe the e-mail is an old one I'm not using anymore, so not sure how that would work; the forgot password link thing doesn't seem to be working either. Thought?

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
@SkaarjMaster Unfortunately like I mentioned earlier in the thread the old Epic Games forums are locked forever. They are there for reference only. Would have been nice to merge my two accounts there as it turns out I had an account that was turned into a legacy account which I had forgotten about.... EPIC FAIL!