Rip's Excessive Server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rip

Nov 12, 2014

IP: 8.6.74.120
NOTE! If the downloading gets slow, connect again! Sometimes the redirect will turn its back on you.

All right, so I've wiped the slate clean and started over with my server. Please take note of the new IP address and pass it around. :) As of this posting, I have not gotten everything back on it yet, and I intend to bring things back and add more in stages. Your help in stress-testing my server and play-testing my own EO version is appreciated! Only when I feel the server has been sufficiently stress tested during each stage will I move on to the next and add more nice things! And, I would like to call upon your aid to find me a nice new and unique server name! Give it some thought and don't just pull it out of your arse, please! :lol: I'll use this post to go over what's on my server and what I've done, generally, with my EO.

Final Name: Halls of Requiem |Excessive Overkill|
(Had to change it again because Osk and his gutter mind)

What's on my server:

Maps. Old favorites. A lot of them.
Mapvote. To be replaced eventually with a better mapvote that allows gametype (DM, different EO, etc) voting.
Fast Cap. Records for capping the flag.
Jet Boots. New and improved boots.
xxxFlags. New flag skins almost as badass as EO.
TeamBeacon2K4. Overhead icons for locating your teammates.
NWUltraGore. A gore mod to blow your mind. But hopefully the other guy's.
2K4 Sounds. First Blood, Combo, Spree and more announcements in a sexy voice you will want to hear.
Flag Announcements. Red Flag Taken, Blue Frag Dropped, etc. in audio.
Flames for the one with the power to wear them...
Much more to come, I had much more on before, and will again.

Starting with Sonic's version that he graciously did for me with minor changes so long ago, I recently started making my own take on EO with the humble desire to simply make everything in EO useful and meaningful as the original creator Cicero might have done, and hurt no one's experience or make them feel they have to change the way they play in the process. My changes are subtle, and I have not touched the holy trinity of rockets, shock combos and sniper rifle. You should be able to come back to EO and get right back in it, slowly recognizing subtle changes.

What I've changed in my Excessive Overkill version:

Armor/Health Pickups are much stronger with slightly reduced spawn times. Rather than decreasing any damage, I have increased the value of these to serve as mitigation/counters.
Ammo values/costs can potentially be impactful. Spammers will [temporarily] run out of ammo, players that use their weapons with deliberation will not.
Sprees are rewarding. Rewards scale gradually.
Lesser Used Weapons/Modes have received improvements to put them closer to their betters.

-Truly, the only thing you need to take away from my changes is the new importance I've placed on Pickups. You can do fine without them, but you'll want to have them now. That's all. As a side note, eventually if I can make it happen I will put Dagger's EO version on my server as well - play what you want, how you want! :)

I would like to see as many old names as I can again, and just have FUN! Everyone is more than welcome, let's all just be nice and have fun times! :)

Last edited:

Rip

Nov 12, 2014
Super Flew US

Don't ask me. I'm awful.

What? What is that? I'm asking you.... :eek: Come on, you can do better! Right now it is just "Another UT Server!" It's horrible!

I've had a few crashes myself with my EO. :eek: I'm having a hard time running down the cause, they seem to be unrelated except that they are runaway loops which could be anything. Please play hard on my server when you have time (with the bots), let me know if there are any server crashes and if you were doing anything significant (edited values like fire/alt fire/ammo/armor + sprees, I suspect they are fire/alt fire related but they are infinite loops that are created so the crash may not happen as a result of anything immediate), and screenshots of any errors if you are lucky enough to get a crash (PrintScreen, Paint, Paste, Save As) sent to my e-mail (serendis@gmail.com) would be greatly appreciated! I don't think they occur often or will hurt play but let me know.

Last edited:

xts-sparky

Nov 12, 2014
What? What is that? I'm asking you.... :eek: Come on, you can do better! Right now it is just "Another UT Server!" It's horrible!

Superfluous (If you didn't already pick up on that)

You know, it's like Excessive, but a different word. :eek:

Rip

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks to anyone who was on my server last night! It saw enough action for me to want to put another batch of goodies on. :) And I was in the mood for some sound improvements. More difficult than you might think to do this serverside. Put on your headphones for new sound goodness! I put several different mods:

2K4 Sounds: Combo, spree and other sounds from UT2K4.
Flag Announcements: Red Flag taken, Blue Flag dropped, etc.
UberGore: New gore sounds!
BloodyMess: Blood spurts!
xxxFlags: Badass new flag skins!

Let me know how it runs and also, honestly, how you like it!

Unfortunately, 2K4 sounds did break my spree rewards, but they needed more work anyway, I think? Not gotten any comments on them. I want there to be rewards and for them to have a visible affect. Feedback welcomed! Anyway, I will fix that later, I think I can see how but it will require putting out another EO version and I'm not ready to do that yet.

Also.... I put something on that gives a cool effect to one's character if you know the password. I'm not going to be handing it out to everyone I like, so don't ask, I'm not starting that. :p But..... I did have the thought that it might be a neat way to reward someone that wins perhaps, a regular little tournament, perhaps DM, say every 2 weeks? Eventually. Changing the PW so only the current winner can be wreathed in flames and smoke?! Again, let me know what you think.....

Last edited:

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
Please make sure all your new goodies are on redirect.

And it would be nice if you could include the Gametracker graphic for the new IP in your first post. I like to check my phone on the way home to see if there are people on so I know whether to boot up the computer as soon as I get in.

Rip

Nov 12, 2014
Please make sure all your new goodies are on redirect.

And it would be nice if you could include the Gametracker graphic for the new IP in your first post. I like to check my phone on the way home to see if there are people on so I know whether to boot up the computer as soon as I get in.

They are, but sometimes the redirect bugs? and you have to connect again to get the proper speed. Beats me, but that always works. Need to get the word out on that since I'm going to have more and heavy files on the server.

Okay, neat idea! I'll update my first post.

Also......... I replaced the blood and goresound mods I added yesterday. Because I found one mod that does so much more with the gore....... to an incredible degree. I wonder if it is too much. Honestly it makes even me feel a little bit faint. :eek: But it is so well done and unique, truly more than I thought could be done in UT99. If it bothers people, let me know.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
They are, but sometimes the redirect bugs? and you have to connect again to get the proper speed. Beats me, but that always works. Need to get the word out on that since I'm going to have more and heavy files on the server.

Okay, neat idea! I'll update my first post.

Also......... I replaced the blood and goresound mods I added yesterday. Because I found one mod that does so much more with the gore....... to an incredible degree. I wonder if it is too much. Honestly it makes even me feel a little bit faint. :eek: But it is so well done and unique, truly more than I thought could be done in UT99. If it bothers people, let me know.

I just played a bit. The gore is ... excessive ... but not that that's a bad thing.

I just really really suck on a tiny screened laptop, so if you want revenge, now's the time. ;)

Also that Don't Fall map is uhhh.... no words

Rip

Nov 12, 2014
I just played a bit. The gore is ... excessive ... but not that that's a bad thing.

I just really really suck on a tiny screened laptop, so if you want revenge, now's the time. ;)

Also that Don't Fall map is uhhh.... no words

Glad you think so. Osk had a few words. But it's a map that lets me beat him so! :D

xts-sparky

Nov 12, 2014
Glad you think so. Osk had a few words. But it's a map that lets me beat him so! :D

Is don't fall the one with the two bases in 'space?' that I caught you two playing before? With the little transport platforms on each side.

xts-sparky

Nov 12, 2014
Yeah that's the one. Will you be on tonight?

Probably. Will be heading back to the office from my trip early afternoon. Heading straight home after dropping off the equipment. I'll be home and should be settled in by late afternoon, opening the door for playing later.

xts-sparky

Nov 12, 2014
Not sure if I'll make it on, gents. I'm pretty tired. Going to hop in the shower soon. If it wakes me up I'll jump on for an hour or so.

If I don't make it on tonight, Thursday should definitely happen.

xts-sparky

Nov 12, 2014
Having connection issues. TV/Internet have been cutting out. Internet very slow. Been like this over an hour. :eek:

I'll let you know if that gets better.