New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx;2607281 said:
I have a great idea. Epic builds game, we buy game, game come's with editor, UT community creates content and distributes content for free, we host our dedicated servers the way we want to host our servers, And UT lives on for another 20 years. What a brilliant concept. It's too bad greed has to get in the way.

It's a great idea and it used to work. I think more and more developers in the modding community can only do so much for free.

Think, if say the CBP4 was released on the market place with 10 maps in, wouldn't you pay $10 just to keep those guys making more maps?

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Blueprints are so powerful, it probably doesn't matter who does what or when TBH. Epic will put together the core as best they can based on everyones input.. but you can pretty much change anything anyway.

Since there is no real movement system yet, I've already made my own, and I barely know what I'm doing!

1 day of playing around =
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPbuTlzxVQ
(I added being able to double jump, dodge, wall-dodge, super speed etc..)

I'm excited for when this all comes together!!

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Blueprints are so powerful, it probably doesn't matter who does what or when TBH. Epic will put together the core as best they can based on everyones input.. but you can pretty much change anything anyway.

Since there is no real movement system yet, I've already made my own, and I barely know what I'm doing!

1 day of playing around =
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPbuTlzxVQ
(I added being able to double jump, dodge, wall-dodge, super speed etc..)

I'm excited for when this all comes together!!

Duuuuuuuude! That's pretty damn awesome! Reminds me of my current obsession with Titanfall. :)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Man man, that video is so marketing. Look, they even not dare to look our way, Polge doesn't even dare blinking, they're clearly lying. They're hiding something. They just want our money and they know it. I know it, too.

:!panic!:

Sep 14, 2008
It's a great idea and it used to work. I think more and more developers in the modding community can only do so much for free.

Think, if say the CBP4 was released on the market place with 10 maps in, wouldn't you pay $10 just to keep those guys making more maps?

Hey these guys do great work and spend a lot of time on the content. Just like everyone else in the community. And everyone did it for the love of the game not money. And no I wouldn't want to pay $10 for it. Once we put a price tag on it it no longer becomes fun and it gives the game a shelf life IMO. If I wanted to spend money on map packs I would play more call of duty or battlefield. The real problem is Epic or any other design studio doesn't really care about the longevity of a game. And that's what was brilliant about UT99. The constant new content from the community. There are plenty of freelance modders and level designers that just love to have their Mods and levels in the server rotation. Well whatever happens I hope it's great and UT lives on that's all I want.

Sep 14, 2008
I have a question. Say there is a market place where Developers/Modders can upload and sell their goods. How do they protect their goods from being distributed for free after it's been purchased once? Will someone be creating cache cleaners that will extract the files needed to run on anyone server for free now, It sounds flawed to me? The only way to keep people from not distributing pay content for free will be NO dedicated servers or a limited server type where EPIC will have the majority of control over the servers giving limited controls to server admins.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx;2607473 said:
Hey these guys do great work and spend a lot of time on the content. Just like everyone else in the community. And everyone did it for the love of the game not money. And no I wouldn't want to pay $10 for it.
You suck. You wouldn't pay $10 for half a game worth of maps that give you hours of play time, when the main game is free?

Try making a map (one that's up to the quality of this generation, i.e. several weeks of full-time work) when you have a wife and kids and then say it's not worth a measly $10 for a dozen of those (that's a year of full-time work). That several weeks per person could've been spent working and earning $4k each in a real job. Most of the good mappers I know just don't have the time for this any more because of real lives. If the system got encouraged and the time spent was worth it enough to pay for the time at least, you might find those kind of people considering it worth the trouble.

Reminds me of all those people on the app store moaning that $2 game on mobile isn't worth it, when they used to pay $90 for a game that gave them the same amount of pleasure. Epic could just reap $90 off you just to play the game. Instead you'll get the whole game for free, and a whole crapload of downloadable content that you might spend $40 max on over a couple of years.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I rarely pay over 5€ for complete games on Steam, so I would definitely not pay 10$ for a CBP either [sorry... :rolleyes:]. I do want to support game devs but not everyone is as wealthy as each other (Steam sales and bundles are the only reason I stopped being a pirate a few years ago... ;)). A donation system would be the best way to go here IMO. I wouldn't mind giving 1$ to you guys, but I'm not sure if I'd like being asked to do so...

As much as I'm aware of the work it takes to make stuff for a game, I don't like the idea of real money being involved in modding communities at all. As a mapper myself, earning a bit of money from my work sounds indeed tempting, but as a gamer I think free stuff is what has always made modding communities so awesome. I'd much rather pay 30€ once for the main game (exceptionally, because it's a UT :p) and get anything else the same way as we did in previous games... Contests like the MSUC have been a good way to reward the most professional modders previously.

TBH, I'm afraid of a paid CBP becoming more popular than any of the previous free ones... Nowadays there are just too many people that think free stuff sucks and will happily pay for a DLC, no matter how overpriced it is... but those people usually have no idea of what a modding community is... :eek:

Sep 14, 2008
Yep I suck. And I don't play stupid games on my phone either because they are useless waste of time since all of us are so busy working and don't have time to build maps. I have worked on several of my maps for years and never even finished them. But I do it for the love of the game not to get rich. I have a real job that pays the bills as well, so my time is limited just the same. And i'm not cheap I just choose to spend my money on things that are actually worth it. Maybe CBP3 needs to break up and not be such a big Dev team costing so much money?....Or here is a better idea become a real dev team and create your own game that you can sell to the masses and charge micro transactions and map packs and what ever else that you feel you need to charge for. Hell you might already do that I have no idea and if you do congratulations, but leave UT alone. I don't care if the new UT is free or not but I want the principles of the game that made this game left in tact. And that is free content and dedicated servers we can fully control. And if you don't want to build content for UT since it's free then don't it will survive with out CBP3.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I don't think it is about paying for high quality maps as much as it is trying to play the game and finding out "well, a few new maps were released and all the servers are running them; time to pay $5 more dollars just to play online" every month or so.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx;2607664 said:
Maybe CBP3 needs to break up and not be such a big Dev team costing so much money?..

The CBP team doesn't cost any money, everyone on the team has always fully volunteered, we have never been paid to do it we spend our free time making stuff for other people to enjoy. That's a lot of mean things to say to a group that for the last 10 or so years has been dedicated to giving the Unreal community free maps.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
You live in Spain. $10 (7.30E) is a couple of beers in the evening - hardly much of an investment.
Yup, I live in Spain and therefore I will most likely be jobless for the next ~3 years, just like everyone else... :eek: Nowadays we're all a little cheapskates here... for a reason...
Not that I can't get some money from parents when I need it, but I try not to spend too much because of that... So, I get games from Steam sales and try not to drink too much... ;)