1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, May 8, 2014.

1. Al

Al Reaper

Word. :tup:

2. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

To be honest, I'd like to see the double jump removed - it doesn't really serve any gameplay purpose except to add an additional button press whose timing needs to be learnt.

I would like to see the movement change a little though, since this is supposed to be a new game, which gives us the chance to do something new..

In the movement prototype I was working on prior to the UT reveal, I was trying to do something a little more organic, by employing classical mechanics rather than using strict linear motion. The idea was that through use of momentum, you could potentially gain a lot of speed, though the faster you move, the more difficult immediately changing direction or stopping was as a result. The key to movement would be to use the environment (whose architecture would want to be quite curvy and organic) in order to do this rather than relying purely on keypresses, which in itself is a skill that would need to be learned and could have a real learning curve. Maybe I'll finish that one day as it did have some neat features though was highly unpolished.

Either way, it's not UT though, but it might be something to draw from.

3. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Relevant video, lol at the title though.

[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cyVtCq5i-w[/M]

4. Evill_Bob

Evill_Bob Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer

And that's where I'm torn, double jump is nice but so is nearly eliminating the need for it. And not quite sure if I agree with dodge jumping being removed, maybe nerfed cause we all hate that one twitchy bugger on the server. However if rocket jumping (I know, heresy) or something were added I'd totally be for it.

And I said I would get around to this so: WE DON'T NEED A REMAKE. Remakes are for consoles and mobile platforms. If I want to play UT2k4 then I play UT2k4. I love it and the original to death but I don't look forward to playing the same game I've already been playing for almost 10 years especially if none of the mods I've downloaded will work for it. I don't want a rehashed UT99/UT2k4, I want a new Unreal Tournament, and I want them to take what the community says into consideration and then make a new game with those recommendations in mind.

5. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Bah I spent so long typing my thoughts on movement I got logged out and lost it all. Some might say I lost it long ago ;)

Anyways some good ideas floating around and I'll exit to notepad for now and post my thoughts tomorrow ):

6. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Word.

On the upside Epic have made so much money from licensing the Unreal engine that pure profit may not be there main focus.

IF Epic take a good long look at themselves they may realise that good game play was what made the company back in the day and not trash the Unreal legacy with something that is pointless.

..... and I've just reflected what you said in the above part of my post. You've made some good points.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  7. AlteredForms

AlteredForms Registered User

Epic need that paper. After selling Gears Of War and subscriptions for UE4 as of yet unknown, they need something that will bring in large amounts of money for an extended period of time. Let's hope they don't pull a Diablo III on us and sink into the ground.

8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Wandering spirit

9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I was also hoping for that. I still hope they take pretty much zero feedback for the DM "demo" and base progress on feedback from there.

10. beefsack

beefsack the authority in beef

I don't share everyone's concerns about competing movement models between 99 and 2K4. I'm looking at the source right now and anyone with access can fork and make modifications or even maintain completely separate forks.

As long as developers are in the community then there will be workarounds for any issue.

11. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

If everyone forked for all the different versions everyone wanted, no two servers would be running the same shit. The trouble is, if you try and please everyone and give everyone the ability to play what they want, you end up with a fragmented player community - and fragmented communities die very quickly.

12. 213

213 New Member

I can't agree with this sentiment enough.

It comes off as having no faith in your own franchise for a developer to try and bend so much for so many different opinions.

13. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

The big things that I really want out of this are modern game improvements like Steam integration, Steam Workshop, ranked matchmaking, and in-game replays/spectating.

14. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

...and I can envisage all that happening.

15. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

I hope so. I enjoy both major flavors of UT enough that the gameplay question is not a huge deal either way. I think UT99 probably has the more solid core gameplay for DM / CTF, but UT2004 works better for Onslaught, and I've probably played more UT2004 total.

Having things like the Workshop and a dedicated spectate mode requires server architecture which is what concerns me. That kind of stuff might be beyond the scope of a small team of UT fan / devs to accomplish.

16. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Maybe I've got the wrong en of the stick here, but I worry at the moment that people are treating this too much like an open source project.

My understanding from the original announcement was that Epic would be making the core game themselves, with collaboration from the community (as in gameplay ideas, feedback, etc - the forum and traditional community side of things) - but I doubt they were actually looking for community-contributed code and assets.

Otherwise, this is nothing more than an Epic-sanctioned OSS implementation of UT where you pay for the right to contribute - I'm not sure they have the time, mindset, tools and skills to manage or work on a project like that, while integrating it into their own workflow.

I feel their idea for contributions in terms of mods and stuff is more of a traditional approach, where people just build on top of what they provide, NOT contribute to the actual game itself. They have simply made the tools and resources available now, so people can FOLLOW development, and ensure their own stuff works WITH the game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I worry there are going to be a lot of people firing up their editors and IDEs thinking they're going to help build a new UT, only to be shot down when they start making pull requests or art submissions.

17. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Actually, they are. Well, at least for UE4 devs. If you have a subscription, you can fork the code and make modifications to it, and open pull requests on GitHub. The readme even explains how to do it because they are expecting people to do so.

I think this is probably true eventually. But I did look at the current source to see if any weirdos had submitted crappy pull requests and so far nobody has. There are about 150 forks of the code, but only three of those people have made any changes whatsoever (and all of those changes were to get their compilers working it looked like).

18. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Okay, cool. I've been thinking about subscribing just to see what's going on, seem like stuff's happening then :)

19. AlteredForms

AlteredForms Registered User

I'm not even enthusiastic about this upcoming Unreal Tournament game. I've got my eye on that Unreal Deal pack and hope it turns to 75% as soon as possible. Mainly because I'm cheap.

20. [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx Member

I have a great idea. Epic builds game, we buy game, game come's with editor, UT community creates content and distributes content for free, we host our dedicated servers the way we want to host our servers, And UT lives on for another 20 years. What a brilliant concept. It's too bad greed has to get in the way.